Wednesday 2 November 2011

Recumbent Bikes - recumbent bike, exercise bike


UPDATE ON 12/27/2010. After one year of steady use, I am very pleased with the machine. In my original review (below) I reported a clicking noise, but I finally figured out that it was because the locking knob on the seat adjuster was not tightened down; once corrected the bike has been silent. It has been ridden an average of 2 1/2 hours per week. There have been absolutely no problems with the bike. My only complaints (and they're not show-stoppers) are 1) the useless book ledge, 2) the handlebars aren't usable unless you lean forward, and 3) the need for plugging the unit into an electrical outlet (rather than having a battery). Please note that I unplug my bike when it's not in use, as I expect the transformer unit would burn out much sooner if left plugged in all the time. SUMMARY: A great machine, and I highly recommend it.



The remainder of this review was written in December, 2009:



Please note that this review is written based on only ONE WEEK (Comments added 1/7/10) of use, so it can't possibly address performance over the long term. If I remember to, I'll come back in a few months and give a more complete review.



First, the machine was shipped promptly and arrived on time. The package was somewhat damaged, but all the bike parts arrived in good condition. It appears to me that the Chinese manufacturer packaged the bike for containerized shipment, and not for individual transport. Nevertheless, all was okay.



Assembly is straight-forward. I was interrupted (neighbor's horses got out), but total assembly time was probably about one hour, working alone. Note that I'm an experienced assembler, having put together many wagons, carts, bikes, trikes, etc. in the wee hours of Christmas morning. Also note that Step 5 (page 11) calls for REMOVING the seat rail bracket; the bracket on my bike WAS NOT already installed, and, not reading the instruction, I installed the bracket, as that's what the diagram suggested. No big deal, but you'll have to remove it later. Other than that glitch, all went smoothly. By the way, all the tools that you will need are included in the package - nice touch.



With only one week's use, the machine has been absolutely silent in operation; I certainly hope that continues. (ADDED 1/7/10: After a month's use, it has developed a clicking sound as I pedal.) By default, the bike starts at intensity level 3. Stepping up to level 4 is detectable but not severe. Further steps seem to increase resistance at a higher level.



I cannot grasp the front handle bars while sitting with my back against the backrest; in fact I can barely touch them with my finger tips. To grasp the handles I must lean forward. Not a biggie, but I would prefer them to be located in front of the electronic display, rather than behind it.



As to the electronic panel, it appears to me that the MPH shown is high; at 80 RPMs it registers 16 miles per hour, while my old bike showed 13 MPH. The display registers about 25 calories per mile at resistance level 4. The heart rate monitor shows about 5 beats per minute higher than my Polar unit, but I can't say for sure which one is closer.



I do not like the way the "time" feature changes between "elapsed time" and a one-minute countdown display at 6-second intervals - I would prefer it to stay on the elapsed time screen. If there is a way to reset this feature I haven't been able to find it. (ADDED 1/7/10: Press the LOCK button to keep on elapsed time and MPH.)



Also, my old bike stopped the elapsed-time clock whenever I quit pedaling, but this one continues to run - a stop to answer the doorbell reflected 5 minutes of exercise time while I was away. (ADDED 1/7/10: Press the STOP once (only once) to pause the display, and the top left button (I forget its label) to resume.)



I have not used any of the programmed workout programs, because I exercise at 78-82 RPMs for 30 minutes, varying pedal resistance during the workout (I'm a 70-year-old male, and I'm not trying to build endurance.)



The "magazine rack" is merely a small ledge. It will hold a magazine, I suppose, but I place my very small MP3 player on it. I don't believe that some of the larger players would stay on the ledge.



I knew this before I ordered the bike, so I can't really complain, but I would much prefer the display unit to be powered by a battery, as my old bike was. The Schwinn 220 must be plugged into an AC outlet - without electricity you don't get any readouts, and can't vary resistance.



The Schwinn 220 seems to be pretty stout, and my overall impression, at this point, is favorable. If it continues to function like it does now, I'll be pleased with my purchase. Time will tell. (ADDED 1/7/10: So far, so good.) Schwinn 220 Recumbent Exercise Bike

I've been searching for some time for a decent, affordable recumbent exercise bike to replace a rowing machine I'd quite using because of knee problems. It seemed the really solid ones were well over the thousand dollar mark, and the less expensive ones were... well, junk. I tried a Schwinn 240 at a local sporting goods discounter, but (1) I couldn't adjust it to fit me and (2) it wobbled and creaked as I tried to pedal it. I had about given up hope of finding an affordable unit when I tried a 220 at another discount store. It was poorly assembled, but it did fit, and pedaling it was comfortable. They could order me one and have it "just a few weeks", they assured me. I said I'd think about it.



Back home I read the Amazon reviews for the 220. Even better than the 240, said some, and it has the same 300lb rating, which means it should be just as strong. Hmm. I thought about it overnight, and decided to bite the bullet. Two days later I came home from my morning bike ride to the coffee shop to find a large cardboard box sitting on the back porch. I got out my pocket knife, opened the box, and - this is important- removed the assembly manual before doing anything else.



I studied the manual for a while- it's one of those modern multi-country ones with no text, just a lot of diagrams. Think Ikea. It was clear enough. I removed the pieces from the box and carted them upstairs one by one. Assembly was clear and straightforward, making allowances for those little production tolerances you inevitably come across in anything made in a semi-automated factory. I didn't have any of the problems some reviewers mentiopned, probably because I read the assembly manual fully and made sure I'd identified all the parts before starting. A few tips:



1. The bolts come in two types: Flat head, for attaching the feet (parts A), and round head for everything else. The round headed bolts are labeled in order of increasing length- B, D, E, F. Simple. Don't unwrap them all at once- just peel back the plastic to expose the bolts you need for the task you're working on.



2. The curved washers are for attaching screws to curved surfaces, That includes joining the front and rear assemblies together- here, the bolts are already inserted in the assemblies when you unpack- and attaching the column that holds the computer.



3. There are a number of interconnecting cables running through some of the assemblies. Most are simple mini-headphone type connectors (1/8" mini plug), but there are also a couple of flat, multi-wire connectors at the top and bottom of the column holding the computer. If you take care to align these when assembling, they'll slip together easily with little or no force.



4. Some of the cables are held in place with twist ties and rubber bands. Don't remove these ties and bands until you've connected the cables, or you're likely to lose a cable inside the machine.



5. Follow the instructions religiously. Coming up with shortcuts and "improved" methods will get you into a lot of trouble.



6. Don't tighten any bolts until you get all the bolts in for a given assembly. This is especially important when installing the seat assembly. There, tighten the bolts at the front support before tightening the bolts at the rear support.



7. The funny shaped metal piece sealed in with the bolts and washers is a screwdriver and pedal wrench. And remember: The left hand pedal has a reverse thread.



8. You'll notice that there are *two* sets of mounting holes for the seat back. Being 6'2" and having a long torso to boot, I used the lower holes in order to mount the seat back higher. You may have to experiment with this to find the best setting for you, but I'll suggest that if you're over 5'10" you start with the higher seat back position. (If more than one person will be using the machine, you may have to compromise on one position or the other.)



Once I'd studied the assembly manual and had all the pieces laid out, actual assembly took perhaps 30 minutes. I plugged in the power supply (a 9-volt wall wart), punched "Quick Start", and started pedaling. Easy. Pushing the "+" and +-+ buttons increased and decreased resistance smoothly- I found that I liked spinning at 4. I haven't tried all the programs and other settings because, frankly, I don't care about programs and automation and such. All I wanted was a knob that says harder <-> easier. But I do like some of the features, like the built in pulse monitor and the timer. Very useful. Some reviewers have complained that the front "handlebars" are too far away to reach. Those aren't handlebars; those are handles to make it easier to get up, for those users who might have some difficulties in doing so.



Short summary: This is a well made (for the money), easy to use, comfortable machine that will probably get a lot of use once the weather cools down and I can't bike every day. Until then, it'll be for rainy days. I'll update this in a few months after I get more miles in.



UPDATE:



I've been using this bike daily for a month and a half, and I'm still very pleased with it. My favorite feature? It's silent, which means I can watch TV while spinning without turning up the volume. I'll pop in a DVD from the library- usually a documentary series- and before I know it, I've done 30 minutes of solid exercise.



UPDATE II:



I've now been using the 220 daily for just over 4 months, and I'm still very pleased with it. Everything still works, none of the parts have deformed or loosened, and the foam in the seat is still stiff and supportive. My knees have strengthened to the point that my arthritis is far less of a problem than it was. I'm pleased.



UPODATE II: It's been 8 months now, and I still use it every day I can't go bicycling. One tip learned: If yours goes "clunk" on every revolution as you pedal it, the chances are extremely good that you have a loose pedal. The pedals may not appear loose, but if you snug both up with a wrench, the noise will probably go away. - Recumbent Bike - Exercise Bikes - Stationary Indoor Bike - Exercise Bike'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information