Wednesday 2 November 2011

Rotozip - rotozip bits, rotary tool accessories


I had some thicker tile, but light glazing and it was a wall tile, but I suppose it could be floor tile also. It did not say floor tile. So, based on the tile package and Rotozip XB-TC1 Tile cut X Bit packaging, it sure looked like it should have worked. $12 at Lowes. I was cutting a 1 1/2" circle for a pipe. Initial entry hole went well working it around as I went through the tile. However, it didn't even get me 1/2 way before it lost it's cutting ability!!! I was going slow and worked it up and down. I was ticked, especially since this is the second one I've tried. ($24 so far). Finally had to break down and buy the $40 thicker Rotozip diamond bit. Rotozip is great overall, just DO NOT USE this bit ON THICKER TILE! Hope my mistake won't be yours. RotoZip XB-TC1 Tilecut X Bit

I don't use these bits for everyday work, so I can't really testify as to their durablity for that purpose. What I can say is these bits make nice smooth cuts in ceramic tile. I have tiled both bathrooms in my house, the foyer and the kitchen, and have used only one bit. Love the RotoZip, a great tool that comes in handy in so many situations.

Used with RZ2000.



The GOOD:

This thing blew right through (cleanly) hardy-backer. Found that out after failed attempts using wood/drywall bits. Also goes though thinner wall tile cleanly and pretty quickly.



The BAD:

Try this on 3/8" porcelain floor tile and you will ruin your bit almost immediately. If you need to make a really really (REALLY) small hole, this could do it, but plan to expend the entire life of a fresh bit on that hole. Or better yet, find a better bit or another option to get it done.



SUMMARY: Great for light duty tile/backer cutting, worth keeping available if you are in a jam with something heavier.

I use this in my Dewalt rotary tool (dw455?), I had to change the collet, no biggee. Really does a nice on radius'. I freehanded some sink tiles, I have yet to master a straight cut but a tile cutter still faster anyway. But again cannot be beat for cutting odd or radius shapes.

Be warned. This cutting bit is good at cutting only thin ceramic tiles such as ceramic wall or counter tiles, not the typical thicker floor tiles. The cutting metallurgy appears to be a harden steel-alloy instead of embedded diamond or silicon-carbide. Consequently, if you use it to cut many tiles, the bit won't last. As the quality of the metallurgy is inferior than those made with molydenum-vanadium alloy, this bit is priced accordingly less. Note the packaging does not tout any claims as to special alloy. Unless your ceramic tiles are soft, you may find yourself buying several cutting bit. - Rotary Tool Accessories - Tools - Rotozip Bits'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information