Sunday 31 May 2009

Door Hardware - keypad, keyless entry


I bought the kwikset smartcode pb deadbolt as a gift to my wife. We are always looking for the key. The installation into an existing baldwin deadbolt took less than 15 minutes. I was able to program the two codes easily. My issue is with the quality of the unit. The outside seems like a nice brass finish. The inside is a brass coated plastic. When I opened the box, I saw the unit had finger prints on the finish. I was not able to remove these. Within two weeks the unit has reset itself and did not accept the codes that had been working. I have had to reset the codes twice. A third time and it comes off the door. I bought the kwikset because of the $20 rebate and cost was $30 less than competing devices. My suggestion is to look at the other units. The cost is not enough to put up with the quality and unit resetting. Kwikset 90915SMTCP SmartCode Single Cylinder Deadbolt Featuring SmartKey, Satin Nickel

The look seems great for the first few months (you'll note that most of the reviews were written soon after purchase). However, within a year, the motor that retracts the lock burned out on one of my locks, and the cylinder gave up the ghost as well, so the key didn't work either. The second lock that I purchased at the same time just lost its electronic mind --- it was mechanically okay, but it wouldn't reset or take a new combination. Like most Kwikset products, the construction is just too cheesy. The keys, for example, are so thin that they'll actually bend. I'd avoid this product unless you intend to replace the locks every year or so, and be sure to have another way to get into the house if both the electronic and mechanical mechanisms fail, as happened to me.

This is a great product and can be found for under $100 at home center stores. At the time I wrote this, Amazon did not stock it.



It lets you set one or two codes, each from 4 to 8 numbers. Codes are easy to set, so you can use one for your housekeeper or a temporary one for when you are on vacation and need to give it to a neighbor.



A nice feature of this lock is that it can be set to lock itself 30 seconds after it was opened. My kids often leave the house without locking the door (the old deadbolt required them to use a key to do so) and this can do it for them. Even without the setting, locking the door is as easy as pushing a button.



The numbers light up, so you no longer need to fumble for your keys when it's dark and you have no trouble unlocking the door.



If you do want to use a key, a nice feature is the SmartKey system. I replaced an older lock and did not want to get new keys for my whole family. With this lock, you merely put the key in, turn it 1/4 way, push a tool into its slot briefly, and you can remove the key and place a different key in the keyhole. Then you turn the key back and take it out. It took about 5 seconds to set this lock to use my existing key. This feature makes it very easy to set the lock to use a different key to give somebody temporarily. It also makes it easy to set all the doors on your house to the same key, re key all of them in minutes, or key one of them a different way and change it back later.



Installing this was relatively simple. It required the typical steps, plus adding batteries and connecting a wire. Once it was installed, I pushed the battery pack in while pressing a button, and the lock set adjusted itself for my door. There's no need to do anything special to get this lock to work with the left side or the right side of the door.



My old locks were very easy to pick. These have a much higher grade of security. I liked it enough that I am upgrading the locks on some other doors and I'm glad that the SmartKey feature will make it easy.

I seen some of these locks been install in my neighbors, ( I live in a condo community) and decided to give it a try! I purchase from other online source where you can find it cheap at around $89. After 3 weeks the lock start making a weird noise and I eventually got lock out, I have to get a locksmith to help me open this lock. This is where I am amazed how this lock can be open with a simple method! The locksmiths basically open this lock within 3 seconds. Since then, I have change my mind and have to search for a better keypad lock here.

Nice product - good features and works great. Easy installation and nice not to have another key on the key ring. Had a hardware problem with the touchpad (9/0 key would not push in). Called Kwikset tech support and had a replacement item shipped to me within a week.

There is a lot to like about this lock and it installed easily. You must follow the directions, however, when installing lock to keep out of trouble. But the lock we installed is not holding its code. We enter the code one day, following instructions, and next day the lock doesn't seem to remember it. If we can get this problem resolved, we will order more.

Just installed the "SmartCode" deadbolt on my garage door, took me longer than I expected because I didn't look at the directions. It's not hard to install at all, but you need to follow the simple instructions.



PROS: I like the product a lot, very convenient. It was a hassle finding the garage keys to do the laundry. Nice outer finish.



CONS: The drawback are that the motor is a bit loud, but that's minor. Some of the parts are plastic, could have been metal, but I'll worry about that in 10-20 years from now. A bit pricey.



BOTTOM LINE: Get it, it's worth the ease of getting in and out, and about.

I purchases two locks one was defective and unusable. i had a clue something was wrong with the lock because the packaging was in a disaray and wrapped differently than the other lock that was not defective.I I didn't install them until after the warranty expired so I had to eat the $100.00 loss. I guess that is why the seller had such a short warranty : would not purchase from seller again : - Keypad - Kwikset - Electronic Lock - Keyless Entry'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information