Thursday 28 May 2009

Medicine Ball - fitness, tko


Although I was surprised at how big this medicine ball is - at 11" in diameter, it's larger than a basketball - I'm still very happy with it. It seems well made, with a lightly textured surface that's easy to hang on to without being too abrasive. Part of what makes a medicine ball such an effective exercise tool is the effort it takes to hang on to it and manipulate the bulk of the thing, and the larger size of this ball requires a nice level of exertion to move it around and control it.



When I bought this TKO 12-pound ball, I also ordered a Valeo 8-pound ball, which has some distinct differences. The Valeo was much smaller, at 8.5" in diameter, and the texturing is much deeper, making it easier to grip. I checked the specs on a 12-pound Valeo ball, and it's only 9.5" in diameter. I couldn't find any specs on the TKO, and frankly I had expected it to be about the same size as the Valeo, so when it arrived I was worried that I wouldn't enjoy working with such a large medicine ball.



But as I state in my review of the Valeo ball, I ended up being glad that I got this combination. The larger size of the TKO makes it harder to handle - which is a good thing, because it makes it more of a workout to manipulate it. For exercises like the squat press or medicine-ball curl, I prefer the larger size of the TKO ball, while for exercises more focused on range-of-motion, the smaller Valeo ball is a great tool. All in all, I'm glad I ended up with the combination of one smaller, lighter medicine ball and one bulkier, heavier medicine ball. If you're considering a pair of these, this might be an option to explore. They both seem equally well made, despite their differences.



If you're just looking for a smaller, easy-to-handle ball, go with the Valeo. But if you're looking for the old-school bulk and feel of a big heavy medicine ball, the TKO is an excellent choice. TKO 509RMB Rubberized Medicine Ball 15 lbs

I had an eight pound medicine ball that I played with while watching TV. I reached the point where I could palm it, hold it out straight to the side with my shoulder and toss and catch it with one hand and decided to get a heavier one. The eight pound one was squishy, felt like it had sand inside and mailable. It was also a different brand from this one but I had the notion that they were all that way.



The TKO 15 pound medicine ball is significantly larger, more than three times larger, than my old eight pound ball. It's about one-and-a-quarter times bigger than a standard men's basketball. It's also extremely rigid, having no give at all. It's definitely heavy enough and I can still fiddle around with it while I watch TV but as medicine balls go I have a hard time understanding why something that weighs less than twice what I already had needs to be three or four times bigger than what I already had.



It's a fine ball. I simply wish it were mailable and a bit smaller. This one feels like I'm tossing a big rock around.

This is a really nice medicine ball at a reasonable price. It's about the size of a soccer ball (some medicine balls are much smaller) and easy to grip. It also has a lifetime guarantee.



I bought one at Meijers for the same price and the material they used scratched very easily and discolored. This one is much better.

I've done wall balls and ball slams with this ball and it is holding up extremely well. Be careful when you slam it on the ground because it does have a pretty good bounce. A great medicine ball at a great price.

I'm a personal trainer and I have my own small studio, so room for equipment is limited. I held off on getting medicine balls because I could always find other things to do, but finally broke down and purchased 15lb, 12lb, 10 and 8lb med balls. I have an outdoor fitness boot camp in the summer and train hockey players, triathletes and physique competitors so I have to have diversity in my training methods. The med balls are perfect for diversity and there's a lot you can do for different sport training. I recommend buying a book to help you put together different workouts to challenge yourself. The are lots of fun and very challenging!

I spent quite a bit of time finding a fairly priced heavy ball for my workouts. None of the sports stores in Boston carry anything over 10 or 12 lbs so this was a great find for me as I prefer a bit more of a challenging workout. The ball seems to sturdily constructed and I doubt I'll have any problems with it in the coming years.. I high recommend this product.

I purchased an 8 LB. medicine ball from a different manufacturer a few years ago from a local sporting goods store. It was filled with sand and very awkward to work with, not always in a good way either. I began looking around for a different brand and style and came across the TKO brand on Amazon. Surprisingly, these med balls are cheaper than anything I have found in town and seemingly get great reviews.



I conduct an outdoor fitness boot camp in the summer, so I use medicine balls often. The 12lb. ball was my first purchase, but I've since ordered the 8lb, 10lb and 15lb. balls. I love them all because they are good quality and can withstand boot camp brutality during our outdoor sessions. I also recommend ordering a few med. ball books so you can learn all of the different exercises. There's a ton of information on the web including youtube videos, but I still like to have something in my hand to refer to.

This medicine ball is excellent. It has the perfect bounce along with at great grip.

The price is also great compared to some of the other brands. Overall, I definitely

recommend this ball to someone who wants to perform a nice variety of medicine ball

exercises. GREAT PRODUCT!!!!

Don't get me wrong, it works, but I wouldn't plan on bouncing it. It almost like it's only halfway filled, i.e. it's hard on one side, and soft like a under-inflated basketball on the other. All my other TKO balls are great though. - Fitness - Medicine Ball - Tko - Core Training Ball'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information