Tuesday 26 May 2009

Home Appliances - filter, instapure


i had problems with leaks like some other reviewers stated. but then i contacted instapure and got the manual to re-do the installation. after reading the manual and adding 2+2 i figured out that the large black washer goes between the faucet and the double-threaded adapter. the red one is to be used between that adapter and the filter holder. once i had reassembled it all, no more leaks were noticeable at all and the water quality is just perfect.

Over the years we've tried several Britta and Pur units, and have spent many $$ for their replacement cartridges. We're now on our second Instapure 2, which is exactly the same as the Teledyne-branded one we used to have, and uses exactly the same filter elements. The lowest cost Instapure filter elements -- R2 -- in 4-packs are about the least expensive water filter elements there are from anyone. There are also Instapure R5 and R7 models for more money, but we're just using the filter to make city tap water tastier, not to remove contaminants.



Our coffee, tea, bourbon & water and even ice cubes now taste better than they did in pre-filter days, and the Instapure units are easy to install, seem to last a year or more, and are cheap to replace if they start leaking.



The "lasts a year or more" is the only reason for 4 stars instead of five. But then, I might be wrong. This is only my second one after we had its predecessor for a year, and I probably could have stopped the old one from leaking if I'd replaced the filter and tightened it correctly. No big deal either way.



The Culligan filters also look decent, but we haven't tried them.



One tip: you know your Instapure filter needs changing when it starts to run slow. No blinking lights needed.



Another tip: my wife likes to keep a cold pitcher of water in the refrigerator and used to use a Britta pitcher. Now she just keeps her cold-water jug filled with filtered water from the sink -- and she also refills 20 oz. travel-size water bottles from the filter-equipped tap so we have tasty water when we're outdoors in the hot Flora Duh sun.



Last tip: I have a Cuisinart Grind & Brew coffee machine with a built-in filter that costs a bunch to replace. So I haven't replaced it in 2 years. Once again, filtered tap water does the job and saves $$$.

The best thing about the design is that it is easy to see when the filter needs to be changed. The switch that allows you to change between filtered and unfiltered water is large and comfortable to use. And its overall streamlined design with the rest of the unit means that you are not constantly bumping into or hooking your sleeve on the knob when not in use. None of our general and hardware stores that used to sell this seem to have the replacement filters in stock anymore. Thank goodness they are available on-line!

I read all the reviews about water filters, and went to Lowe's looking for the Culligan one. But, nothing from that brand was there, and they had this Instapure filter, in addition to the PUR and the Brita. But I read a lot of bad reviews about the last 2, but did not know of Instapure. Given that it was real cheap, I decided to try it.



So far, so good. When I first installed it, it had a lot of leaks where it attaches. After removing it a few times, I discovered that when I tightened it a lot, the seal would get into the metal adapter. So the next time, I tightened enough so that the filter doesn't swing loosely, but not enough to make the seal pop into the adapter. That eliminated all leaks.



Also, instead of first installing the adapter on the faucet, and then on the Filter, I first attached it to the filter, tightened it, and then spun the whole filter into the Faucet. This made it really easy to install.

This is the second unit I have purchased, I love it, the water tastes great. The reason a second unit? The first one lasted 8 years and became clogged because of the hard water we have here. Nevertheless, 8 years, what a great return on value. Thank goodness I could get another unit.

The person giving this a bad review obviously does not own this. This filter comes with a tool to use to screw the head off or on. If you take out all the original washers to the faucet and install this correctly it does not leak. Results are very tasty with this filter when installed correctly. The filter must be turned on for 2 minutes to flush it out. I was originally looking for the culligan one at my local hard ware store bought they only had this one so I just gave it a shot. It made a huge difference. It says it only removes 92% of cholorine and bad taste but let me tell you I could taste the chlorine before but now not at all and the taste is excellent. Not only that instapur gives great bulk deals for filters on their website. Let me say we buy no more bottled water with this filter.

The Instapure F-2C water filter I ordered was a replacement for the filter I'd been using for more than 5 years and which finally broke down. As far as I know, all it does is to remove the chlorine smell, which I found annoying at times, from tap water. This is all it claims to do and it fills this function adequately.



I had to order this item on the net because, although I live in the center of New York City, I could not find this type of simple low-priced filter in any of the near by stores, and I'm finding more and more that ordinary non high end merchandise is not available here. I find this trend, and what it says about our society, very negative. - Filter - Instapure - Thirsty - Faucet Water Filters'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


    ,
  • faucet water filters
  • ,
  • instapure
  • ,
  • thirsty
  • ,
  • filter