Saturday 30 May 2009

Macbook Cover - macbook cover, macbook pro


So far I am loving this product. I found a tiny scratch on my Macbook Pro while on vacation, so I bought this case as soon as I got back. I had a little bit of trouble getting the bottom on, but that was all my fault, I had my computer turned around. But once I got it on correctly, it's been nothing but smooth sailing. Everything can still plug into my Macbook, it didn't add hardly anything to the weight or size, it still fits into the neoprene sleeve for transport, and the color is so cute! I'm definitely glad I bought this product, and Amazon's price was just right!!! Speck See Thru Case for 13-Inch MacBook Pro with SD Card Slot and 13-Inch MacBook Aluminum Unibody (MB13AU-SEE-AQU-D)

My experience for the first several months of owning the case was positive as with other reviewers. Towards the end of the product's warranty, I did discover that the case was getting harder to clean (the speck website indicates that this is a requirement to avoid scratches on the macbook inside). I emailed support after the most recent time because the case has created pits in the coating on the macbook.



How did this happen? The speck case plastic did not respond well to prolonged exposure to the heat of the laptop. The case itself has marked heat damage showing from the computer (and it isn't any hotter than any other laptop I've owned). As the plastic degraded, this caused damage to the macbook from the case itself.



How did speck support respond? "Our cases will not damage your macbooks. We have sold 1,500,000 and counting.

If you follow the cleaning instructions you will have no problem. If you take your mac into dirty or dusty environments you will need to clean it more often. Looks like the cleaning instructions were not followed. I am sorry but we will not be able to assist you on your claim. Thank you for understanding our position on this."



This was not helpful as their case was the issue (and on top of this, I don't work or travel through a dusty environment)--I requested help in dealing with what apparently is an isolated manufacturing flaw (given the other ratings on this site) and was told in the above that either I didn't know what I was talking about (I hope this is the case) or I was lying about cleaning the case (I hope this is not their perspective).



What am I going to do now? Given the number of scratches to the outside of the speck case in the last six months, I think I am going caseless for a while, especially since my resale value has already dropped due to this case problem.



How could this problem have been avoided? Looking at the material of the case, I suspect that if I am wrong about this being isolated that going with a case made of more flexible material that specifically notes its heat tolerance would save others trouble.

I loved the color of this case when i bought it, and when i got it.. it fit on my Macbook Pro perfectly, but just using it normally it got a couple of scratches after a couple of days. now i am not rough with my things, and i do realize this is a case but when you spend a certain amount on a product you expect it to be able to withstand normal use. The scratches on it made me upset so i returned the case and got the seethru satin which has a rubber finish on it and though it doesnt have the seethru polycarbonate like the seethru, its a very good case and far the satin version hasnt shown any wear and the rubber has a good grip to it. although this may scratch easy this case does its job at protecting and does fit well with all ports open for any size peripheral to be plugged in. Just be careful with it.

First off the good. It fits great and the scratches end up on this case and not my laptop.



The bad, I have owned two clear Speck covers for a white macbook and a macbook pro. I expect a certain amount of wear and tear on it as I travel quite a bit. But I expect the scratches and blemishes to be on the outside of the case not on the INSIDE. Both of my Speck cases went on brand new laptops and over time (months) they developed weird specks and funky cloudy areas like oxidation marks on the inside surface that faces the laptop case. They cant be wear marks or scratches and no cleaners were used on the machine or the case so the only thing I can think of is just inferior plastic resin that is starting to break down or something. Not sure if this happens with the colored cases or now but I wont be buying another clear one again.

When I first saw this case I thought that it was gonna be bulky and be designed badly. But it actually turned out to be very nice. It fits the macbook pro exactly, and has little bumpers on the top, to prevent scratches, and bumpers to cover the bottom ones that come on the laptop. Overall, I was very pleased with the case, and will probably look to them again if I ever need a new one.

Let me start by saying that these cases look super neat on the MacBook Pro.



Now the cons - the case will NOT work with the new 2010 13 inch MacBook Pro "L" style charger. In mid-2009 I bought a 13-inch MacBook Pro that had the old-style "T" charger - the case fit fine. However, my MacBook Pro stopped working and was replaced with the SAME model/style/size MacBook Pro made in mid-2010. This new MacBook came with the newer "L" shaped charger. The case will fit on my 2010 MacBook, but interferes with the "L"-shaped charger connection. Therefore, in order to charge my MacBook I must remove the bottom part of the case. If your MacBook Pro has a "T"-style charger - you're fine. However, if it's a new MacBook Pro with the "L"-shaped charger - I'd find a different case. - Macbook Cover - Speck - Macbook Shell - Macbook Pro'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information