Friday 29 May 2009

Mini Camcorder - pocket camera, small


I wanted something small and waterproof for kayaking and canoeing...and of course geocaching.. I have a kodak zx1, a flip mino, but I wanted something smaller than those....I thought about this camera for a while/watched sample videos on youtube,finally broke down and bought this at a "best" store for $89 without a card. This camera is simple to use! turns on very quickley,and starts recording quickley.I like the 1.8" screen....big enough to see what your recording/but small enough not to use too much power...I fully charged the battery/took 2 hours of video, and I still had battery to spare! battery life is great!...this is a simple video camera/ captures video very well!small enough to put in your pocket/battery still charged after a week of frequent use!Sound quality is very good/however the only "downside" for me is......no image stablization/not a big deal/ but is slighty noticed when quick movement happens...small,waterproof,long battery life,good quality video,good quality sound, simple and easy to use.I like it/and now at the time of my review/it is $20 less than what I paid AND you get a micro card included!great deal..if you go to youtube and type ......snow2112dog..... you will see my kodak mini video test...it shows indoors.outside at night and outside during the day...and the 3x zoom at the end of the airplane....all in under 1 minute. Kodak Mini Video Camera with SD Card (Grey)

I have been on the look out for a great, small easy to carry around GOOD QUALITY video camera and this one just doesn't fit the bill. It IS small and it does carry well and I DO like that it's waterproof, but other than that, the video and camera quality are not that great. My phone takes just about the same quality.



BUT if you are looking for small, easy to carry, grab and go video to capture those random moments, especially poolside, then this camera would be fine (IF you're OK with just a so so quality) I also own the Flip Camera both the original and HD, which takes fairly good video but not great sound and it was not waterproof for those summer months where we live by the pool.



When I DO find that perfect, compact, waterproof, quality video camera, I will be sure to post. Until then, still searching.

I have two of these - on in this version and one in the HD version. The pros and cons are the same for both.



Pros



Size

Easy to use

Intuitive

Takes good video

Waterproof

Inexpensive



Cons



Not great for still pictures

Not great in low light



The camera works great right out of the box. Bought it initially for a trip to hawaii. Was able to read through the instructions and start recording right away. As noted in the manual - sound playback on the device is poor - because the device is waterproof - no good speakers outside. Once imported to PC - sound was really good.



Still pictures were grainy - unless I really concentrated on holding the camera steady. Again, since it is waterproof - there is no place for even a mini tripod.



Overall - fair price for what it is - a fun little video cam to keep around for those spur of the moments. Great for kids and grandparents who don't want to invest in something more expensive. Smaller and lighter than a Flip.



The software uploaded to my pc just fine. But again - read the directions (at least once) as most of the complaints I have seen about this camera are due to people who just won't read through the instructions.

I like the size and portability. The USB charger is a plus with no batteries to keep on hand, but the latch on the bottom is much harder to close than necessary, and I'm pretty sure it will break off sooner or later. Very intuitive and I had no need to even read the minimal instructions. Just pop it into a USB port on your computer and the software installs itself. However, none of that matters since the video quality is terribly grainy and pixelated. Still pics-forget about it. I didn't expect perfection at this price, but really, my videos look nothing like the reviews I watched on youtube which showed sharp and clear images. Maybe I got a bum unit, who knows. I see this camera as a good option for young children who are budding videographers but don't care about (or notice) the bad quality, and if they break it, better this than your more expensive camera. Still debating whether to exchange it to see if this is a bad unit or return it totally.

Obviously before you purchase this you should realize it's not going to take videos that look like Quentin Tarantino directed it. It takes quick, awesome videos, it's water proof and can take a couple of bumps. I bought it so I can chase my nieces and nephews around and not use up my cell phone battery from using the camcorder on it. The battery lasts for a while, I've used it all week and haven't had to charge it. It shots decently enough at night time. You're able to use it in dim light. The videos are clear in better light.



Overall, I'm really happy with it. I would suggest it to everyone. I even bought one for my sister and my aunt bought the same one for my uncle. - Mini Camcorder - Camcorder - Pocket Camera - Small'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


    ,
  • small
  • ,
  • mini camcorder
  • ,
  • pocket camera
  • ,
  • camcorder