Thursday 28 May 2009

Multi-region Dvd Player - dvd player, multi-region dvd player


I bought this after reading the reviews, knowing that it seemed like you either "won" and got a great little unit that worked a treat, or you "lost" and got a bad one. We lost. Fortunately, as seems typical with this machine, it failed right out of the box - a much better thing that having it fail a few months out, after the return period is over. We shipped it back and are awaiting a refund (we couldn't do an exchange).



The machine we replaced it with, a region-free Pioneer DV-220V-K, was also purchased on Amazon for about half again more money. It works great. iView-102DV Region Free Universal DVD Player

I bought this due to the low price and my desire to watch some DVDs I have from New Zealand that won't play on my current dvd player.



I LOVE the form factor. It is so very small and looks like a nice piece of equipment. It has blue lights on the front when it is plugged in and matches all of my other equipment.



The player is simple to set up and works well for the most part. However, when I used component cables, the image was pinkish-red. I tried two sets of cables as well as multiple component inputs on my television, but the image was still red. When I used RCA cables, the image was fine. However, I want to use my component cables. So, today I submitted a return for this product being defective.



I am going to try another one and hope for the best, as I do like how tiny this is and the affordability. I'm taking a chance and crossing my fingers!



I hope this review helps you make your decision.



UPDATE - 3/14/2010 - PLEASE SEE COMMENTS BELOW REVIEW



Thanks to Jeremy's comment on my review, he fixed the pinkish problem and I now have a perfect picture. The unit wasn't defective at all. I'm very happy! Thank you, Jeremy and iView! :)



I recommend this unit.

Great DVD player with a clear, vibrant picture. Impressive features for the money. As with many low-cost units the remote control is the weak point. In fact mine has already died, but I still want to keep the player. Unfortunately my trusty old GE 24950 universal remote doesn't have a code that works for it. So far I haven't found any universal remotes online that list codes for IView. My web search only came up with other people looking for IView remote codes. It's a new brand, so maybe soon... if you get it to work with a universal remote, please post about it!

Pros: The DVD player works great, it's very compact, and it's easy to use. The remote has a TON of buttons on it, but there's lots of little fun things you can do (you can make the sound more flat or sharp...I don't know what the real purpose of that is, but it's fun to make people's voices really high-pitched or low!). It is also relatively inexpensive, which is always a plus!





Cons: There are a lot of features on the remote, but if you lose the remote (hopefully that never happens to me!), you are limited to the things on the face of the DVD player: play, stop, and eject. Also, the remote doesn't come with batteries (2AAA). It's not a big deal, but just an FYI (I didn't have any AAA's on-hand- minor inconvenience). Finally, the main reason I give this DVD player 4 stars: the display is BRIGHT blue. Whether the DVD player is on or off, the buttons on the front stay that color unless you unplug the machine. It's something to keep in mind if you're planning on keeping it in a bedroom where you may need total darkness to sleep!



Despite these cons, it works great and like I said, it's a good price. If you can handle the bright blue display, it's well worth purchasing.

I JUST GOT THIS MONDAY AND HOOKED IT UP. IT WAS SO EASY!!! WHEN I SAW HOW SMALL IT WAS, MY FIRST THOUGHT WAS, "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAID FOR." WELL I WAS WRONG!!! THIS LITTLE DVD PLAYER LOADS UP QUICKLY & PLAYS ALL MY FOREIGN DVD'S I BROUGHT BUT COULD NOT WATCH AND THE PICTURE AND SOUND IS GOOD. I CAN'T WAIT TO HOOK SPEAKERS TO IT. IT ALSO PLAYED A FILE NONE OF MY OTHERS WOULD READ. I FINALLY GOT TO SEE MY SISTERS RETIREMENT PARTY FROM LAST YEAR. PLUS IT HAS A SHUT OFF BUTTON AND I LOVE THE BLUE LIGHTS. I DON'T KNOW HOW LONG IT WILL LAST BUT RIGHT NOW I LOVE IT OVER MY EXPENSIVE DVD PLAYERS.

Highly disappointed. I bought this for a Christmas gift, hooked it up loaded a dvd and it wouldn't play. Wouldn't even open so I could get the dvd back. I had to take off the top just to retrieve the disc. Horrible product.

I bought this dvd player only to watch series 1 of Misfits from the UK. The packaging was great but the unit would not turn on. I returned it and will try to purchase another one. Hopefully the second one will work.

This is great.



Granted, it's cheap, and it's not exactly going to win awards, but for the price it really is a great product.



It's tiny - about the size of two paperback books I guess.



It plays all regions (well, at least UK and USA, as that's what I have) with no fuss, picture quality on my little LCD TV is fine, sound is fine, remote works well, and it has more connections than I need, so all good. It is very basic though - no clock on the front panel, pretty cut down options, but as I said, for the money you really can't pick too much fault with it.



Dropped a star on Sound Quality because it occasionaly loses sync, but pausing and resuming (or rewinding for a couple of seconds) fixes it, so no big deal.

My old region-free DVD players died (at least they were cheap), so I needed a new player. At less than $40, I was a little wary, but decided to give it a try. It's very compact, which worried me at first glance. I connected the component video out (it has composite too!) and audio out and gave it a spin. Big pink picture. Uh-oh, but then I remembered reading another Amazon review that said this can be fixed by changing the video mode (preset for composite) using the V-Mode button on the remote. Sure enough, it worked great. Picture is good, audio is good, and everyone's happy. I can't comment on longevity yet (usually the bane of these machines), but so far so good (and at $40, I can buy a spare). :) - Multi-region - Multi-region Dvd Player - Dvd Player - Cheap Dvd Player'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information