Wednesday 27 May 2009

Porter-cable - nailer, porter-cable


I have plans to begin finishing out my basement in the near future. After researching several different brands of framing nailers, I decided on this one based on the overwhelming number of positive reviews it received. After only breaking it in, I can tell you that I can see why everyone has such good things to say about this nailer. It is without a doubt a quality, powerful, confidence-inspiring piece of equipment that anyone would be proud to own.



I bought it right after I purchased the Porter-Cable CFFN250N combo kit. After breaking in the compressor (very important I might add), I set the regulator at 100 psi, and connected and loaded the nailer with 3" .120 coated framing nails. I found a couple of scraps of 2x4, stacked them one on top of the other, and let her go. At 100 psi, and with no adjustment to the gun right out of the box, it went through both pieces and sank the first nail perfectly flush, no problem! After a few more test shots, I gave the depth adjustment on the gun a quarter turn just to see what difference it would make. At the same pressure, it put the head of the nail slightly below the surface of the wood, just as it should. As expected, there was quite a bit more recoil with a nailer this size, and I found that just a little more pressure on the board helped when firing a nail. After all, it is shooting a 3" nail in one shot! I also changed the trigger to the "contact actuation" mode, which shoots a nail every time you touch the tip to the wood. This is a great feature, but as one other reviewer noted, I would suggest using it with caution. In the hands of someone unfamiliar with it's operation, it could be very dangerous! Nevertheless, it worked flawlessly, and all initial indications are that this gun will serve me well for many years to come. It's amazing what having the right equipment can do for your confidence level, especially if you're an amateur like me!



On a side note, I was also very pleased to see that such an affordable and relatively small compressor (2HP, 6 gallons) could produce more than enough pressure to power this gun. The compressor will produce 135 psi, and the gun's operating range is from 70-120 psi. As noted above, I had no problem with 3" nails at 100 psi.



Also, I can't say enough about the deal I got here at Amazon on this nailer. I caught it on a good day at less than $200, ordered the 17-piece accessory kit with it, took advanatage of the $25 off and free shipping offer, and still came out almost $50 cheaper than I would've paid for the nailer alone at the big orange store!



Thanks Amazon. You are an asset to the online shopping community! Porter-Cable FR350A Round Head 2-Inch to 3-1/2-Inch Framing Nailer

Just finished house number 2 with this bad boy. You just can't beat Porter Cable. Stick with the 350A instead of buying the 350mag. It is only about a pound heavier, comes with a case and you save $40.Very Well Balanced Machine, little fatigue during the day. Great hands-free depth adjustment. Extremely easy to load, advance and clear. You can change from restrictive to sequential fire easily on the trigger.My Hitachi can now be retired, I will not go back, this is my framing nailer of choice. As another reviewer seems to have found out, this is not an appearance nailer, for something like siding you may want to try the Porter-Cable RN175A Coil. I have had no problems sinking 16D's in even engineered lumber. For everyday use the 350A is highly recommended.

Rough Framing is not for everyone or every nailer. We had three of these porter cable nailer because of the price on a framing crew. As time went on we had one nailer on the job because two were always in the shop. The guns do not have the duribility needed to stand up to driving a few thousand nails a day. We oil the guns every day and keep the compressor at 110 but still had problems. The guns jam at least twice a day and there is no easy way to fix them while hanging off the side of a house. I've used Dewalt, Hitachi, Bostich, and a few other and never had to wonder if they would fire each time I pulled the trigger. It is also tricky to change out a clip of nails once they are loaded.



The tool free adjustable muzzle and depth are nice features. I wish that the nailers were put together better. We chose to go to Hitachi and get a nailer worth the money.

I bought this based on a lot of positive reviews that I read while researching framing nailers on several different websites. I must say, I am VERY pleased.



First of all, this tool has copious amounts of power. I was able to sink 3.5" 8d nails with no problem, even while adding a work bench and shelving in my new/old garage which features some really tough dimensional lumber. Further, and in spite of what I had read, I thought that the recoil was minimal.



Some of the reviews I read gave this tool mediocre to above average reviews w.r.t. balance and weight. I'm not sure what inspired these comments. The only issue that I had with balance was when the air hose got caught on something and pulled on the nailer but let's face it, this is an issue with any air tool. In fact, after using it for residential framing for two days straight, I did not notice any fatigue in my forearm or wrist. When I first opened the case, I looked at the size of the thing and assumed that it would be heavy. Quite the contrary. I've had the opportunity to try a few other framing nailers (Senco, Hitachi) and I thought that this felt lighter. Just my opinion.



I live in Chicago, Illinois and have had absolutely no problems finding nails (Lowes and the Borg have multiple selections for this tool). A box of 2500 2-3/8" nails cost me $25.00. Strangely, this is perhaps one item that is cheaper to buy locally when you factor in shipping charges.



I had read somewhere that the exhaust was not tool free. I bought the nailer conceding this fact however I found that it is not true.



I've read a couple of gripes based on the fact that the nailer does not have a holder for the mar-free nose piece. To this I say "big deal." When you are doing framing work, do you really care if you leave toenail spike marks in the lumber when you are face-nailing??



I was suprised to note that, when the magazine is down to 2-3 nails, the gun no longer fires. I don't really see this as an issue though.



One other reviewer noted that it is difficult to remove nails from the chamber if for instance, you wish to change nail lengths/sizes. I own several different nailers including Bostich, Campbell Hausfeld and PC. To date, I haven't found any that are particularly easy w.r.t. removing nails that have already been loaded. On the other hand, loading nails in this gun is simple. You shove a set in the rear of the gun, pull the tensioner back beyond them and let it go. Voila!



To summarize, I am not a professional framer/carpenter. I do not use a tool like this for a living although as a woodworker and homeowner, I probably use my framing nailer more often than most. I think that it is a great product for the money. Can you buy a better nailer? Without even looking, I'm sure you can but at what cost? Finally, the quality of higher-end tools is quite subjective, much like a good pair of home stereo loudspeakers. I think that this particular product is a fantastic combination of quality and value.



Skeptical? Buy one from Home Depot and try it out. If you don't like it, all you have to lose is 35-45 minutes in line trying to return it! ;o) - Porter-cable - Nail Gun - Nailer - Framing'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information