Thursday 27 November 2008

Battery Operated - sawzall, cordless saw


First off, if you put this side to side with a corded super Sawzall, the Sawzall will win hands down. For what it is, the Makita is a truly amazing product.



Some quick points / comments:



Never had any problems with changing the blades and I regularly get mine full of mud using it with a long blade to cut out tree roots.



The Batteries last about 12 minutes if your using it really hard, and they get very hot and take 30-40 minutes before they are charged again, due to the additional time required to cool them. If your going to really use this saw hard on a regular basis, buy more batteries.



I used this saw with a 12" blade in it to cut down a 47 year old spruce tree when my chain saw wasn't available. It was over 15" thick. Took the saw a while, but it did it.



I've cut metal, plaster, metal lath, 4x4's, lots of conduit, lots of tree trimming / pruning, etc. It's really worked well on all of it.



One suggestion, you get what you pay for in terms of blades. I think the Bosch blades are some of the very best. Lenox blades are also very good, but tend to warp from the heat during heavy use more than the bosch blades do. The Milwaukee blades are pretty decent.



It likely won't replace your super sawzall for really heavy demo work, but for everything else, I think it is just an amazing tool. Bare-Tool Makita BJR182Z 18-Volt LXT Lithium-Ion Cordless Reciprocating Saw (Tool Only, No Battery)

I read the reviews before purchasing the Makita BJR 182 but no one mentioned the differences between this one and the Makita BJR 181 at twice the price. Once I got my new saw I found out what the differences were. The 182 doesn't have the rafter hook that the 181 has (no big deal for me - I've never used it anyway) and it also doesn't have the LED lights that ALL the other Makita 18V Lithium Ion LXT tools that I own have. That was a big disappointment - I love how the LED lights allow you to work in dark areas without the need for a worklight.

First a bit about my setup and other tools.



I originally bought a Makita Drill complete with 2 small batteries and a charger.

I then bought a circular saw and realized after purchase that it requires the larger batteries.

Unlike some reviewers I did not remove the tag from the smaller battery to make it fit. Instead I bought a pair of replacement batteries. As a result I can confirm the following for those who wonder:



- the smaller batteries do not fit in the tools requiring a larger (18v) battery.

- the larger 18v battery does fit in tools that use the smaller battery.

- the charger works for all the battery types.

- it takes as long to run a battery down as it does to charge one, so have 2 batteries of each type.



Now about this tool.

Simply put, it is awesome. I have used it to:



- cut small and large tree roots in the muddy ground

- cut the plastic pot away from a thorny plant that could not easily be removed from the pot.

- cut down small trees

- prune off branches to make them fit better in the disposal bin

- hack off half of a faucet i could not remove otherwise from the sink

- hack off the grocery store's anti-theft seal from a bottle of Tequila

(if you self-checkout make sure to remember to ask the attendant to remove it before leaving the store)

- trim rolls of turf that were too wide for the section of yard I placed them in

- tear down walls



I have used several blades some named brand and some generic. All have installed and worked fine.

The only issue I have encountered is with the lock on blade guard. It was not clear which button position "lock" was. Its simple enough to check manually tho.

I've used this saw for cutting old construction lumber, tree branches, plastic pipe, and metal. It works like a champ. Surprising amount of power for a cordless.



One of the other reviewers noted that the blade falls out after a while. I asked a Makita rep about this and he said that sawdust can get into the blade opening (sawing overhead) and this prevents the blade from going in all the way (even though it seems secure). I have noticed this, but blowing it out with compressed air makes it as good as new. The blade mounting style is superior to my Milwaukee sawzall. On the Makita you rotate the blade lock 45 degrees and it clicks open and stays there. Then you insert the blade with one hand and it automatically rotates back to lock the blade in - so much nicer.



Yes, it uses all the standard blades.



Well worth the price.

Balance and power are amazing. I held off on the cordless forever as I felt even 3AH, 18volt power was insufficient for the work I usually require of my recip.

I have a Makita driver drill, impact driver and circular saw along with 4 of the 3AH 18volt batteries.

Amazon knows my weakness so when they offered a sale on the bare tool recip, I bit.

So glad I did! It's very liberating not to have to deal with the cord, but everyone knows that. The surprise to me was that this saw is the real deal. It will hold up to pro use which is often more abuse than use and it will do the job. I haven't cut any 6x6's with it yet, but it hardly even notices 2x4's so I don't forsee any problems. I'm very happy I finally made the leap to cordless and I'm convinced Makita is the best choice.

I bought this tool to compliment the drill and impact driver kit I purchased. I am not a contractor, so this tool doesn't see heavy duty use all the time. I use it mostly for small projects, and for pruning; where portability is a must. Battery life is surprisingly good, and power is too. Blade changes are easy, and the footplate adjustability is a welcomed feature. I like that it has an "electric brake" which means the blade stops as soon as the trigger is released. This is a great tool, with well designed ergonomics (like most, if not all Makita tools) to include light weight. Very pleased with my purchase. - Cordless Saw - Sawzall - Lithium-ion - Battery Packs'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information