Saturday 29 November 2008

Cup Holder Mount - satellite radio, cup holder


I purchased the Belkin F8E479 TuneDok for XM Radio Receiver for my car (94 Dodge Spirit) and then found the Arkon SR033 Satellite Radio Cup Holder Mount for my new car (1992 Plymouth Acclaim). The Arkon model is 100% better than the Belkin model!

It has an adjusting wheel that helps make it nice and snug in the cup holder, no matter how much vibration it doesn't fall out like the Belkin model does.



I like this one so much, I'm ordering another to replace the Belkin in my Spirit.



This is the one you want for your XM radio. Arkon SatRadio Cup Holder

I bought this item hoping it would be suitable for mounting the control head to my ham radio (Yaesu FT-7800 with YSK-7800 separation kit) in my SUV (2004 Ford Escape). It meets this need perfectly. I'm thrilled with the result.

This holder is great for the Roady2...easy to install and easy to remove. If you leave your Roady2 unattented in your auto, just pick the holder and Roady2 up and hide it...out of site out of mind...and then just put it in your holder when your return.

This cup holder satellite radio mount works as advertised. With an adjusting screw to expand/contract the base of the unit it even fits well in a the strangely-shaped cup holder of the center console of my 1999 Ford Taurus. But the cup holder is made entirely of plastic and just snaps together, so it feels a bit flimsy to me. Then again, it was pretty cheap, so I can't complain too much! Much easier than installing a permanent satellite radio mount in my dashboard for my Sirius radio!



Please note that the center 'stalk' of this mount is about 6 inches tall - so depending on how the cup holder is shaped in your car and the thickness of your radio, the top face of your satellite radio might end up 7-8 inches above the face of your cup holder!

It seems to stay well in the cupholder of an 05 subaru outback, but similarly to another review, in the front it somewhat blocks the gearshift (manual), and in the back one it blocks the armrest somewhat.... Jury is still out as to whether I want to hold my arm up while I'm shifting.



Otherwise, it was very easy to install and seems to stay in well. Simple, solid design.

Since my 2000 Grand Am has very limited space for mounting and/or sticking anything to console/dashboard area, the cup holder was my last hope. It's still a bit crowded, but if I position it just right, I can still get to my heat/ac controls. Working out well, but needs occasional adjustments.

If you're buying this product (as I was) expecting to receive a flexible support column as the product image shows - don't. It has a straight vertical mounting post which limits the viewing angle for the radio. I'll go ahead and use since the previous holder purchased cracked after only a few weeks - due to close proximity to shift column and hand on center console of a Ford Explorer.

Great way to mount your XM radio, iPod or other product if you have the spare cupholder. I have used one of these for a GPS years before and bought this one for use with an XM receiver. Holds securely, tightens into the cupholder and is the correct height for my vehicle. Shaft allows me to wrap extra cables around it and make for a cleaner look in the car as well. Decent price, have seen them cheaper in the past but still worth it to have less clutter hanging off of your dash. - Cup Holder - Satellite Radio - Electronic Device Holder - Sirius'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information