Thursday 27 November 2008

Repair Kits - faceplates, ipod


I haven see a lot of people that bash the product.Yes the product is cheap (would you like to pay 100 plus for apple to do it), but it works. This repair is easy and fast to do. The biggest problem is that people try to remove the old screen like they are removing the lung nuts on their car. I have repaired may Apple products before. This was my first IPod Touch. I have learned with Apple is, everything is beautiful with their product, shiny, sleek and fine lines, which mean, TIGHT!!!! You have to remove (even if the old screen is broken)the old screen very gently. TAKE YOUR TIME!! You are going to trash the bezel, no mater what, the clips lock on with a death grip. Order a new Bezel with the screen, the only thing you will get from the old bezel is the button, and be careful on removing that too. Make sure you order a bezel that has the adhesive tape running the whole length of the bezel, there are many on Amazon to order from. The repair took about 20 minutes. One more thing, there are Many Videos on Youtube on the repair, watch them, study them, learn.. Replacement Repair LCD Glass Touch Screen Cover Digitizer for Apple iPod Touch 2 2nd Generation

I ordered this product on Wednesday and received it on Friday. It came with everything that is listed. We repaired our Ipod and saved over $100.00 by doing it ourselves. The only thing that I wish I had known ahead of time is that when you open the Ipod the frame inside will snap and need to be replaced. I ordered the frame on Friday night and Monday was Presidents Day (no mail), but I did receive that part on Tuesday. The delivery time was fantastic, just remember to order the frame at the same time that you order the glass.

Be sure to heed the earlier reviewers advice to order an inner frame, because you will need it. Description of item says it comes with instructions (really just a link their web site, with poorly written PDF) and tools. None of the promised tools came in my package, so with no plastic 'case cracker', I opted to use micro flat head screw drivers. Bad mistake. In the process of removing the glass and frame I dug a little too deep and trashed the LCD. Now I am in for another $19, waiting for that order to come in and hope I have better luck this time.

I don't have any problems with the product itself. I do have problems with the whole process.



1) Yes, the mid frame is a must to buy along with this because, as stated by others, the mid frame is fragile plastic and it will break no matter how careful you are. The problem with this whole thing is that the "home button" mechanism is really tricky to detach and reattach. With the broken mid frame in my hand, I watched some of the YouTube videos on how to remove the home button and reattach to the new frame. I could see I would not be very good at doing it.



2) No, it is not easy to remove the broken Touch screen. Some of the YouTube videos are not being honest. They are done with Touches that have been worked on in the past and so the screens are easy to come off. If you are a first timer like me, it's not easy using the tools they give you. But I was able to remove the screen after much care and frustration, and in the process, broke the mid frame into small fragments. I had to then remove the mid frame plastic pieces bit by bit until they were all off.



3) In the end, I went to Ebay and bought a complete set that includes both the replacement cover and the mid frame with a new home button for a really cheap price. I would go this route again in the future. When this item came, I simply reattached it onto the glass-coverless Touch and voila, it was finished in less than a minute.

Adhesive strips and instructions were not included with this product as described. This was my first time attempting to make a repair of this nature and could have used instructions along with "Do's and Don'ts" that were supposed to be included. I ended up damaging the frame and will have to spend more money to complete this repair.

I bought this digitizer to fix my nephews iPod touch 2G whose digitizer was cracked. I had watched a number of video's and read a few DIY's on how to replace it seemed easy enough. The digitizer came with all the tools to do the job. The video's make separating the digitizer from the iPod look REALLY easy. I broke one of the pry tools trying to pry it apart. It finally lifted enough to allow me to insert a screw driver to keep it from closing on itself, while I worked the other pry tool on the rest of the edges.



Once the bad digitizer was separated from the iPod, the next step was to remove the frame that it's glued to. This was a major PITA especially because of the broken glass. I managed to separate it but the frame, being very thin and made of plastic, broke in 2 sections. I was concerned that I'd need a new one, but since I didn't have one, I continued on. I cleaned up the frame well, used the 3M 2-way adhesive and stuck the new digitizer to the frame. Luckily, the 3M 2way tape held the broken edges of the frame to the digitizer pretty well. I felt that when I snapped in back in place onto the iPod, it'd be fine.



I connected the ribbon cable and tested the digitizer and it worked fine. But when I tested the button, it didn't work. While trouble shooting it, I accidentally tore the ribbon cable, so that was the end of that new digitizer.



Unfortunately, I didn't realize that the assembly has to be back onto the iPod in order for the button to work, because there is a contact point on the iPod that touches the button assembly on the digitizer for it to work.



I ended up ordering another replacement digitizer but decided to order a fully assembled set that included the button and frame. I had that one installed in a matter of seconds with no problem.



Lesson learned. If you have a cracked screen and are willing to chance it, buying the digitizer alone for and transferring it to the existing frame may be OK for you, but if you want a hastle free plug-and-play experience, just get the complete assembly. It was $9 for just the digitizer by itself and $18 for the fully assembled one.



Even though I wasn't able to use it, I gave the product 5 stars because it worked as expected before I broke it during the installation. - Faceplates - Replacement - Repair Kits - Ipod'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


    ,
  • repair kits
  • ,
  • replacement
  • ,
  • faceplates
  • ,
  • ipod