Sunday 30 November 2008

Webcams - bad, cheap


You get what you pay for. This performs as cheap as its price! When I see myself through this webcam, I feel like those old people who are going blind. I can make out my shape, but I can't see ANY detail. Piece of Junk. Do not buy! Waste of money no matter how little you spend. If I had to do this over, I wouldn't buy this for FREE! Black 5.0 MegaPixel USB 2.0 Digital Webcam with Mic

This is not a bad webcam AT ALL. I read the reviews of it as I was first putting it into my computer, scared it wouldn't work, and the major complaint I saw was "It's all out of focus and it doesn't work right!" So let's clear it up for those of you who feel ripped off: THE LENS TURNS TO MANUALLY ADJUST FOCUS. That's all you need to do. Just twist the lens. It's a great camera, ESPECIALLY for the $.01 I paid for it. Also, to whoever said your microphone didn't work, yes, you do have to plug in both pieces. One cable is for the camera, and is USB. The other (round) cable goes into the microphone jack on the computer, and is for the microphone.

I was not expecting much of this webcam, because of the price. However, I got it in the mail today and I am very disappointed. I tried it out for the first time a couple minutes ago. I cannot even see my face. Everything on the screen is just a blur. I suggest that anyone even thinking about purchasing this product should just forget about it.

This is a great little webcam. I am running this webcam with Ubuntu 10.10 and it worked right out of the package. The picture was a little blurry, but if you use the focus on the front of the webcam it has a very exceptional picture. The microphone also works very good. It works well on Skype too. :)

Good quality picture, good sound. Can't zoom in and out. Doesn't clip on top of screen but hangs. The stand has adjustable height. The microphone has separate plug from the USB plug which works fine for me because those two are right next to each other on my computer but may cause problems for you if they aren't on yours.

The camera was a true plug-n-play which was nice, I just opened Skype and it worked.



Issues:

-The webcam is out of focus, not terribly, but everything is fuzzy. It works for basic chatting but any text held up is just unreadable.

-It is also more zoomed in than I'm used to. At 1 ft from the cam you can see from the bottom of my chin to an inch above my eyebrows instead of my whole face and hair.

-The clip has no spring so it does not sit securely on the computer and the placement of the wire makes it awkward to stand upright on a flat surface.



Another review had mentioned a manual zoom/focus on the front but mine has no such option. The picture for the item has writing on the border of the lens and mine does not so it's possible I got the wrong item, but for $6 this camera will do.



[...]

For the price, this is a great little cam. Can be a little hard to get it in just the right place sometimes just because of the cord, but its not something I'd rule the camera out altogether for. Picture quality is comparable to any other standard webcam. Nice and small, you can even set it on top of you laptop screen even though it doesn't clip on. - Cheap Webcam - Cheap - Fuzzy - Bad'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information