Wednesday 26 November 2008

woodturning - woodturning


These aren't quite Sorby's but heck one Sorby chisel could cost you what this whole set costs. Since, we are comparing with other manufacturers these also are a HUGE step up from the HF "red handled" chisels that get fairly good reviews. These Benjamins Best are a bit more initially but since the HF set doesn't come with a bowl chisel it would end up being about the same cost.

This Benjamins Best LCSIXW is really nice for the price. I am totally satisfied with the M2 HSS blades on these, they are nice and thick and hold an edge very well.

The only weakness is that the handles aren't spectacular but they are serviceable and you could certainly turn your own handles and replace them if you chose. They actually have a nice feel to them but the fit and finish of the handles themselves isn't great. Again, more of a cosmetic issue than anything else. PSI Woodworking LCSIXW High Speed Steel Wood Lathe Chisel Turning Set, 6-Piece

I just recently got into wood turning and I enjoy it very much to say the least. The PSI 6 piece HSS turning set is a good addition to my shop.



Pros: Includes the basics for all of the basic turning needs. Handles feel sturdy and are connected to the blade well. Blades are holding strong so far. Hold an edge well. Easy to grind a new edge with a grinder.



Cons: Case is very cheap feeling. It came with a giant gash on the top of it, and to be nit picky, the hinges are on the wrong side. My Gouge blade seemed to be warped slightly. (I dont know if it is to be that way or if its defective.)



Overall, the few minor problems are outweighed by its pros. It is a good set, includes all that youd need to get going, they feel sturdy and hold an edge well. And they are cheap to boot.

After a lot of research I picked up this set. These are not the best as the others have said but I dont think you'll find a better set under $100.



Cons:

The handles and box feel cheap.



The HSS seems to be softer than most other cutlery HSS I've handled. As a result they need to be sharpened more frequently.



The edge is very quick to get a sharpening burr. If you're not familiar with the proper procedure for removing a burr you'll need to look it up. As a result quick passes over the bench grinder with a jig are not sufficient to make a lasting edge.



The factory edges are pretty poor.



Pros:

The handles are a great length which provides plenty of leverage and are not loose.



Since the HSS is soft it takes a new edge very quickly. All 6 tools can be brought to hair popping sharp in about 10 mins with a couple of bench stones.



Once sharpened they work almost as well as my carbide tools. Nearly effortless cutting for much longer than I would expect from cheap HSS. (After putting a very fine edge with a set of bench stones)



Price is about half of what other sets of similar caliber sell for.







I dont think you'll find a better set on amazon. If I were to upgrade from this set I'd buy a full set of carbide tools but I dont use them enough to warrant the 3 or 4 fold price increase.

I have just started turning wood, mainly bowls, and needed a couple tools in this set...mainly a small bowl gouge, decent parting tool and bowl scraper. I already had a similar roughing gouge included, so it's useful too. The skew chisel...probably just me...haven't got knack of it yet and I occassionally use the spindle gouge but already had one.

Ok, that being said, I had no problems with the case being cracked...but don't care, as I don't keep the tools in a box...I keep them where I get to them fast.

They seem to keep their edge a little less than the Sorby gouge I have, but not a huge difference here.

All in all, a great set to get started, especially making bowls, though you really need a larger bowl gouge (1/2" min) to really be steady with making anything bigger than say 4" diameter bowl or so.

As others have said, it's a great way to get started using the tools and deciding where to put extra money improving on any of them. Good example, is I'll definitely invest in a beefy scraper...no substitute for having a good heavy cross section to prevent vibration when reaching inside a bowl with a scraper. Aside from that..I'll probably continue to use these tools for quite a while, only having to invest in perhaps some unique items such as the curved vessel scraping/turning tools to get inside really well on vessels.

Again...very good starting set, a good value.

This is the first time I've purchased Benjamin Best Chisels. If buying these tools and new to turning ensure you have a proper sharpening system i.e. bench grinder w/ aluminum oxide stones and jigs to sharpen them to save time and frustration with dull tools. They did need a mild sharpening out of box which took seconds if you have the aforementioned system. Nonetheless, I used every tool and had no issue. I worked some 16 x 2 x 2 inch wood to test the tools with beads, coves etc and had fantastic results. They stayed sharp and produced clean shavings without tearing the wood. The box they come in was very light duty but I intend to toss the box and make an outfit to hold these chisels anyway. If you purchase you should hopefully have the same positive experience.

Do not expect the box to make it thru shipping, Amazon could do a better job of packing but a little glue cures the box problem. Now the LATHE TOOLS are a very good beginners set. Quality tools good enough for getting into wood turning without spending $200 just to see if you like it. NOTE: They really do need to be honed to a fine edge.

I just recently got into wood turning and this set is what I need to begin with my Steel City Tool Works 60170G Granite 5 Speed Mini Lathe.



The handles feel a little sturdy but are well connected to the blade (maybe I'll start turning my own handles).

The case gave me a cheap feeling, and opens on the wrong side, but well enough to keep them organized and protected.



Good price.



As D.Tappan said: "Overall, the few minor problems are outweighed by its pros. It is a good set, includes all that you need to get going, they feel sturdy and hold an edge well. And they are cheap to boot." - Woodturning'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information