Sunday 30 November 2008

Lens Cover - 18-55mm, lens cover


This fits the lens that comes with most Nikon kits. If you need a replacement for your Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX Nikkor Zoom Lens this is it. The lens ships with D40 and D40x kits (among others) and should include this cap.



The easiest way to see which lens cap you need is to look at the number on the back of the cap, which pretty obvious but I almost overlooked it. Mine says LC-52 52mm. If you've lost yours you can measure the front of your lens. Nikon's more common ones are 52mm, 62mm, 72mm, and 77mm, so the only ones you'll have to measure precisely are the 72 & 77's.



The cap fits super tight if put on correctly, but sometimes, if I put it on quickly, it doesn't line up right on my lens. Somehow I've managed to make it peel up the inner plastic ring right by the lens where it says AF-S DX Nikkor. The impression it left is of the exact shape of the moving parts on the cap. The lens still works perfectly but I'm really annoyed. I can't take a star for that because this is the best cover I've ever owned, but it should be noted that double checking that it's on all the way is recommended. There is a picture of the damaged lens and back of cap in the "Customer Images" on the product page. :)



Amazon's list price is about 15 bucks and there are way cheaper caps out there, but these are really worth it, especially when you've got more expensive glass. Plus they sell for less than half that normally...just be careful with it. Nikon LC-52 Snap on Front Lens Cap

It has been a life long goal of mine to write a review of a Nikon lens cap purchased from Amazon.



Today I'm fulfilling this goal. I'm quite pleased it is a positive review.



I would suggest you purchase at least 2 or more when you buy them. The shipping is the same and you know you will eventually loose this one too.

I bought this from cowboystudio, because it was slightly cheaper than the other available 3rd party vendors (amazon.com was not an available vendor). Turns out they sent a fake. I know it is a fake because I have other copies of this same lens cover and the lens cover sent by cowboystudio is clearly of lesser quality. It works but it is not as nice as a Nikon original.



Do not buy from cowboystudio. Choose some other vendor.

Nikon lens caps are the best on the market. The are hold securely, don't release accidentally, and are cheap, too. If you have another brand of camera, just use a marker to black out the Nikon logo :)

This is a genuine Nikon lens cap. It is not a knock-off. The center pinch design fits my Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras perfectly (when I lost it somewhere taking photos last weekend). Obviously, it CAN fall off (I lost mine), but maybe I didn't have it on 100% correctly. Sometimes if not seated perfectly, it can click off - which must have happened to me.



Please be cautious that you buy the right size. This is a 52mm, which will fit the kit Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX Nikkor Zoom Lens.

This lens cap was bought for a lens that I had bought second hand that didn't come with one. This is exactly like the lens cap that came with my kit lens. Side by side, you cannot tell they are different, and they both work on my lenses, even with the filters on them. I bought a cheap generic one from my local camera store and that one wouldn't stay put. This authentic one however, does stay put.



I'm very happy with it.

Make sure you know the exact size of the lens cap you need. I made this mistake and had to mail the original cap back and order the correct one. It was a hassle but it was my own fault - I am satisfied with the order though. - 52mm - 18-55mm - Nikon - Lens Cover'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information