Tuesday 25 November 2008

Garmin Nuvi 760 - garmin nuvi 760, garmin


My Nuvi 760 really never worked quite right, even when new. After purchase, I noticed complaints online regarding the battery and its rather poor capacity. What concerned me most was that the battery pack would get VERY hot during charging (which Garmin considers normal) and then would only last fifteen minutes before low battery shut down. My GPS was not the subject of the recent Garmin battery recall, so that was not an option.



I wanted to update the maps because I really do like the GPS, so I had a decision to make: Trash it and get a new one, or attempt to replace the battery, test it and then update the maps if successful.



I went online to Amazon and found this kit for $20.00 or so and thought, well, I'll try it and if it doesn't work, I'm only out $20.00 and I saved the cost of a map update. I ordered the kit and received it in two days, which I consider quite fast.



I opened the kit and found the shim tool, two screwdrivers, a CD and the battery pack itself. I put the CD in my DVD player and watched the installation video. Then I got to work and opened the case. Everything went just like they said in the video. Screws came out, case opened, battery came out, replaced the battery, snapped the case back together and installed the screws. Really easy. But my experience may not be typical, as I used to work on aviation electronics, so my easy may not be your easy.....



I plugged it in and it has worked flawlessly ever since. It no longer gets hot while charging and goes at least five hours before low battery shutdown.



I am very happy with this product and would definitely recommend it to everyone who wants to replace the battery in their Garmin Nuvi. It is very inexpensive, high quality, and you get to keep the tools. At least I think you do. No one has called asking for them back......



Even if you have never worked on electronics before, take a whack at it. Just be patient and follow the instructions. It's only $20.00 and you just might save your favorite GPS.



REGjr Garmin Nuvi 760 Battery Replacement Kit with Installation Video, Tools, and Extended Life Battery. #361-00019-11

The replacement battery and included tool kit work exactly as advertised. I watched the video before tackling my Nuvi. I had a bit of manual dexterity problems getting the case open, but other than that it was straightforward and simple. It has restored my Nuvi to being able to run for several hours without being plugged in to power. If your Nuvi has a worthless battery, this should take care of it.

As various Internet videos show, including the one packaged with this battery, the process might be a little tedious (don't get rough) but the results are ever so rewarding. Love my Garmin, hated that the original battery would no longer old a charge, but now with this replacement the unit is good for several hours before ever needing AC or car charger recharge. Great product Amazon!

The battery of my Nuvi 760 was not good from the beginning and now even won't last 1 minute unless plugged into car power. I read reviews and ordered this kit immediately.

The delivery was extremely fast. Very thoughtful kit w/ nice tools and instruction DVD though lacking a piece of double sided tape as the other review mentioned.

Garmin really didn't want other ones to replace the batteries so the installation was not as easy as other reviews and DVD described. First, DVD could not be played as the seller warned. I didn't contact seller to get the on-line link but installed decoder software to make it play. After taking off the screws, it was a hard job to separate the case and detach the old battery. You would feel you were breaking this unit. After that, everything went easy except finding a double sided tape. Battery worked well immediately after the installation.

It's an excellent product which saved the life of my 760 w/ low cost if you are aware you need to pay a little bit hard work. It's worth.

This product arrived with tools required for the installation, and a video showing just how to do it. I've never received such a through installation package. The battery change out went well without any lost or damaged components. I would recommend this product to a friend.

Nothing to add to the previous reviews except to include a strip of double-sided tape with the order. I could not get the old tape off without rolling it on itself and had to purchase a full roll of double-sided tape which I doubt that I will use. Otherwise the order was fine - all the tools were there, instructions were easy to follow and it worked and charged after the new battery replacement.

I was very impressed with the excellent instructional DVD which showed you exactly how to open the case and install the battery. All the tools needed to pop the case open were provided. The only thing missing was a new piece of double sided tape.



I also ordered a replacement batter for an iPod and that kit was just as good as this one.



Highly recommended. - Battery - Garmin - Garmin Nuvi 760'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information