Friday 28 November 2008

Rotary Tool Accessories


I've found the flex-shaft to be one of the most useful Dremel tool accessories. It's great for those remote, hard-to-reach areas of my work pieces where the width of the tool itself would hinder my efforts, ot it just can't reach. It took a while for me to get the hang of using it, since it required a bit more hand control than I originally anticipated. Just make sure to keep it as straight as possible, and don't bend it too much- it heats up pretty quickly, especially at the bends. And heat's the big killer of this accessory. Also, be sure to have a bit of the flex-shaft grease handy for occasional lubrication.The only thing that annoys me about the flex-shaft is that it won't accept a chuck to secure the bits, just collets. This can be a major frustration when I'm doing work that requires constant bit changes, with different bit diameters. Just when I thought I was rid of those pesky collets forever...`Late Dremel 225-01 Flex Shaft Attachment

They have the MultiSaw, they have the Chuck, even the magnet-powered Dremelite, but nothing comes close to the Flexshaft. This baby is THE essential attachment for a Dremel. It comes with easy-to-read instructions on How to put it on, and it even has a diagram showing the different parts and the part numbers. (in case something gets broken, as in my case). This thing is incredible. I polish silver Quite a bit with my Dremel, and this thing makes it easy to get into those ultra-hard-to-reach areas. (my current project is a silver clarinet of my grandmother's). If you only get one attachment for Your Dremel, This one is way out in front for the choice. (just don't put it past 30000 RPM unless you have the flex-shaft tool holder, not that anything bad will happen, it just makes this annoying chattering noise).



5 out of 5

I've had my 350 series Dremel for over ten years, now, and that poor workhorse of a tool has seen a LOT of use in that time, carving everything from wood to bone to amber to turquoise. My only beef about that awesome little bit of technology is the amount of vibration it puts my wrist through- ouch. If I've been going for a couple of hours (my average time on it is three hours at a stretch), my hand is a distorted, cramped up mess due to the vibration...



Enter the flex-shaft. I got to try one of the old ones (the plain, black cased pen type) a bunch of years back, and I'd loved it then, but couldn't afford one. They were still fairly new, and I was just starting out with learning how to use my tool anyway. But I'm getting serious into the carving, lately, and my wrist just couldn't handle it, so I went nosing around for that wonderful little pen I could carve with and found the new model here. At first, I was worried that it wouldn't be compatible with my beastie, which was old when I got it as a gift, but I looked up the specs, did some digging and found that it should fit with my model.



Awesome.



So I ordered it. :)



Got it in less than a week and a half, and I immediately went for the little set of instructions, read 'em, did all the prep stuff to set it up, and started playing around with some silver I'd been saving to polish. Yes! I could work without my poor hand going numb! More awesome.



So, all that windy blather aside, I'm happy with the flex-shaft. It's everything I'd hoped for it to be: lightweight (definitely an issue with my joints), easy to use, and quite compatible with my old Dremel. I should have gotten one these ages ago!

I wont repeat what everyone else has said about this being a fine tool,It is and my only gripe about it is that it is not really a heavy duty piece. If you try to grind a cylinder head port you will find out fairly quickly that this flex shaft is for light duty only and will overheat and or become disconnected internally. Otherwise it works very well on all manner of things.

Great tool as has been said by others.. but wanted you to know if you own an older model Dremel tool as I do, this will fit some of them.



It fits my older model 380 just fine and works great. Not sure why Dremel doesn't list it as working, unless it's just TOO old to worry about.



There may well be variables between all the models they put out over the years so can't say "ALL" older models so be sure and check it out first.



But there is reason to check like I did 8-)

I use my dremel to drill holes in glass. The flex shaft is great because it's easy to handle and allows me to drill into water without risking putting my dremel into water. I also like using it with the foot pedal and the chuck. The flex shaft does what it says it does and does it well.

With the Flex Shaft it becomes far easier to do fine detailed work especially on small items. The power loss with my Dremel 800 series cordless wasn't a problem at all for doing some simple engraving and jewelry work.

Also note that the MULTIPRO Chuck (Amazon B0000302ZV )I bought a few months back works fine with this flex extension.

I have only just attached this accessory to my Dremel tool today, but I like it so far. The packaging states that this tool fits the following model Dremel tools: 400, 300, 398, 395, 285/200, 275/100, 800, 780, 4000, & 8200. The directions state that you cannot use router bits or other large diameter cutting bits because of possible kickback and loss of control. Also, the instructions advise that the flexible shaft can become disengaged if you don't elevate the rotary tool to a height that is higher than the flex shaft end, so you may want to purchase part #2222 (Rotary Tool Stand) to keep the rotary tool elevated. It accepts the following four collets: No. 480 (1/8"), No. 481 (3/32"), No. 482 (1/16"), & No. 483 (1/32"). The directions don't state anything about whether or not a chuck can be used with this system.

there a many design changes that improve function over the original flexshaft design. my hand doesn't get as tired as quickly as with the older version. however, you still have to be very careful to not let the shaft overheat and keep it lubed.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Rotary Tool Accessories Rotary Tool Accessories Rotary Tool Accessories