Tuesday 28 September 2010

High Failure Rate - dvd dl, dvd


Updated review, 4-17-2011 (These discs are NO LONGER reliable! Do not buy!)



Although I gave this Kodak DVR+R DL product a rave review last year, I CANNOT continue to recommend it, because it is no longer reliable. I kept the same 5-star rating, in the hope that more people will read the positive reviews to compare with now mostly negative reviews, and see my updated comments here. At least, they would know that this product used to be good.



Looking at the wrapper, it is now manufactured in India. The discs I bought last year were made in China.



Using DVD Identifier, it reports the following:



Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R-DL:MBIPG101-R10-065]



Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R DL] - [DVD+R DL]

Manufacturer Name : [Moser Baer India Ltd.]

Manufacturer ID : [MBIPG101]

Media Type ID : [R10]

Product Revision : [065]

Blank Disc Capacity : [4,173,824 Sectors = 8.55 GB (7.96 GiB)]

Recording Speeds : [2.4x , 3.3x-8x]



I was irked by the large number of negative reviews for this product when I was about to buy it for the second time last week. Not wanting to believe that it is the case, I ordered it anyway. After a few failed trial burns, now I know the discs no longer have the high reliability of the past. The discs I bought last year were 100% reliable.





(Old review, 8-28-2010, please disregard)



(Old review title, please disregard) Inexpensive and Problem-Free Kodak DVD+R DL discs



Regardless of brand, the majority of optical discs are currently made in Taiwan and China. I have not encountered any problem using these Kodak-branded discs. My logic is that major brands would require certain quality standards be met before they will allow their brand to be stamped on the discs. I don't have to worry about where these discs are made, as long as they perform without problems. Kodak 50121 8.5 GB DVD+R DL (50 Pack Cake Box)

I was rather weiry making this purchase because they seemed so cheap compared to the others, but the name made me think otherwise. Used every one of them, not one coaster, they all worked perfectly, and they are CHEAP!

I bought these discs just last week and everyone I've tried was a coaster. The burn would start off fine but half way through it would give an error. I normally use Verbatim dvd dl which were 100% all 50 but tried this because of the price. I have learned may lesson. I should have thought something when I saw them all over the internet at such a low price. Well you get what you pay for. Using liteOn shw 1635s dvd drive turn away now if you have this drive.

so based on those good reviews, I decided to take risk and give this a try. a HUGE disappointment! I bought the 25 dvd set and 6 dvd failed so far. that is unacceptable. I used to use amazon basics. there were coasted discs but not many compared to this brand. will never buy this again. now Im gunna buy verbatim....

1 disc out of every 5 actually finialized with imgburn. I have never had any problems with dl-dvd's before I bought these. I tried burning with a lite-on and toshiba drive both gave errors during finializing.

This is the first time I've purchased these particular blank DVDs, but have purchased many in the past. Although I've only burned a few, so far the burning has not failed. However, I hate the hyper-busy logo decal on the label side. I don't print labels for my DVDs, I just use a Sharpee, but it's almost impossible to see what I've written because there's just so much crap on the disc. I can get over the bright yellow background color, but did they really need to print the Kodak name 1000 times? There's barely any room to write on the disc that is clear enough to read.



Anyway, these might burn great, but I won't be buying them again... - Dvd - Dvd Dual Layer - Dual Layer - Dvd Dl'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information