Monday 27 September 2010

Weller Soldering Station


We use this model soldering station at our business. We first purchased the previous version of this model and still have it. This version works basically the same way with the only difference being the way that the LED light on the front works. On the older version the LED was just an On or Off indicator, but on the newer version, it also indicates what heating state the iron is in (I.e. heating, or at temperature). We now have 3 of these units. Our company is in the Analog and digital panel meter business, and we are also a modification/repair center, so these units see daily use and sometimes use all day. These units have a great advantage over traditional soldering irons due to the added temperature sensor in the tip. This helps to avoid any overheating that may occur in a standard soldering iron. The price on these units as well as the nice tips they come with makes the choice between a cheap soldering iron and this unit simple. I would reccommend this to anyone who uses a soldering iron on a regular basis. Weller WES51 Analog Soldering Station

Works well. Nice selection and availability of tips. Only negative I report here is the temperature control knob shaft broke on mine. Upon taking off the rubber feet and the 4 screws holding the case together I found the knob is way too flimsy (very tiny plastic shaft) for the tiny variable resistor control it turns. Just poor engineering/quality - the knob to control connection should be much more rugged for the price of the iron. Otherwise a nice functional tool.

I've been using this solder station for a few hours a week for the last year. The durability seems fine, the temperature dial and on/off switch still feel crisp without slop. The iron stand has a ceramic holder ring mounted in the typical spring which keeps from banging soft tips on the steel. The stand base also has holes to store extra tips so they're on hand instead of missing in a drawer somewhere.



The ET tips that work with the included soldering pencil are great, from a 1/64" conical tip for SMD to a 3/16" screwdriver tip for chassis work, it does many jobs well. The soldering pencil is light and nimble so I don't get hand cramps with extended use.



This has been a great tool that's gone through 5 lbs of solder without a hitch. It's no frills and all business but a huge step-up in quality from the $15 irons I used until I purchased this. The end justifies the means.

The Weller WES51 is without a doubt the absolute best soldering iron that a working man can justify spending the money on. It's the ONLY heavy duty iron you'll ever find that allows exact temp settings for under a hundred bucks. It allows you to set the temp only a few degrees above the melting point of the solder, greatly enhancing the quality of your work. And it's a heavy duty unit, so unlike the cheap lightweight ripoffs. The rugged and user friendly design reminds me of something made in the 1950s or 1960s. Well done, Weller!

The Weller WES51 (Analog Soldering Station) is amazing. I had been using whatever soldering iron was on sale whenever I needed one, only to have it fail after a few uses. After the last one broke I decided it was time to move up to a decent iron. I researched several and decided the WES51 would meet my needs - the best bang for the buck. It has performed flawlessly. I could have spent much more money, but I don't think I could have bought a better tool.

I got the WES51 station for my first soldering experience, replacing bad/blown capacitors in my older G5 Imac, and it worked great. (25 capacitors replaced successfully!)



I purchased based on positive reviews and the price seemed good. Never having soldered before- and frankly never having worked on the guts of my computer before- the project was daunting; I didn't want to spend a lot of dough on a tool that I may never use again and for a project that I perceived had dim prospects for success. Having used it successfully, I now consider this to be an excellent tool and a tremendous value for the price.



When I first opened the box, I thought the unit looked antiquated- something you might unearth from underneath your grandfather's workbench. It has one LED to let you know the unit is on and heating, and a dial. The machine is solid, though, and has the look and feel of quality.



The iron itself is light and the soft foam rubber makes it very comfortable to hold over time. Also, the coating on the handle keeps your fingers cool- I used it comfortably for hours. The cable from the iron to the station is thoughtfully long and made of high quality silicone that is very flexible- these features made the iron very easy to use. I spent hours on my project, holding the iron constantly, and never felt I had to put it down due to fatigue or because it became too hot to hold.



The iron heated to its designated temperature very quickly- seemed to me a matter of seconds from a cold start. The stand that comes with it is durable and the coiled receiver protects the iron well (and me from the hot tip!) and is a good angle for constant use. All in all, I am impressed with the quality and ergonomics of this kit. The products I used with this that worked equally well are Super Solder Super Solder Wire 60% 1.0mm Diameter - 1lb Spool and Tech Spray Desoldering Wick Tech Spray Desolder Braid,Pro- Wick, #4, Anti-Static, Blue, 5'



The only thing that was challenging when using this product was desoldering on my Imac circuit board. I hear that they use a solder with a higher melting point (lead-free silver solder?) and the iron just barely melted it. Everything turned out OK, but I felt I was lingering a little too long with the iron on the board to desolder those leads. I'm certain this is not a flaw with the soldering station, but it may be relevant to those who might need a bit more oomph from their iron. It did flow the Super Solder very well and easily, however.



I am very happy with this product and recommend it highly!'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Weller Soldering Station Weller Soldering Station Weller Soldering Station