Monday 27 September 2010

Tomtom Gps


I found this GPS unit easy to use and accurate. But, it came with old maps in it, and, in-spite of an advertised 30 day free map update, TomTom told me that because it was refurbished (even though it was factory refurbished), they wouldn't download new maps. So, I sent it back.



Don't buy TomTom factory refurbished GPSs.



Mike TomTom XL 330 4.3-Inch Portable GPS Navigator (Factory Refurbished)

I really like the TomTom, but I strongly recommend buying new...the refurbished version has (in my case) 18 month old maps on it...and they will not allow you to update them for free...will cost me an additional 90.00 Other than that, the computer interface, ability to update non-map information and ease of use is excellent. But the maps were a big disappointment (from Ohio to Myrtle Beach there were several times it thought I was driving through fields because of new road areas).

Great price for a nice product. would have been nicer had the manufacturer supported it better with updates or general support even though it was refurbished. they should stand behind the product either way.



nice features and nice large screen.

I started out with the right product, but in switching back from the shopping cart to product review I was able to change the product without being aware. I ended up with the non-street-voice product. Although it was totally my fault I was disappointed. Also when I connected the product to my PC I was unable to update the map to the latest version of maps.

Here is my quick assessment:

- 2 year old may without the option to update... That's a rip off. Buying a new unit comes cheaper than buying an map update.

- Route suggestions are sometimes weird and definitely not the best. Especially when you know the area

- The original holder is iffy. Buy something more ridged and holds better. Ebay has a lot of options for a lot less money than TomTom asks for

I have had this unit for about 6 weeks and have been to Chicago, LA and Portland. The maps are just fine in the unit and have been 100% accurate thus far. Giant screen is very helpful and the software is a breeze to use. If you do not already own a GPS.....Buy one. It will take the stress out of driving to an unknown location.

I ordered this product in large part because Mandarin Chinese is listed as a language. It was a gift for our chinese au pair as she learns to drive in the US. Well, there's no Mandarin option that we can find. Very disappointing....

Could not beat the price for remanufactured item. Looks and performs like a new one! Later I realized I should have bought the one with bluetooth capabability for free hands using cell phone. For just a few dollars more I could have upgraded to another model! Will give this one to my daughter when she starts college and get the upgraded version that shows the actaual road signs and interstate legend signs.

Used this for 10 days late in the summer of '09 on a trip to the upper south. Never froze up (something I saw complaints on with some GPS devices when I was researching for the purchase of this one), and it rarely gave us instructions that were quizzical. The few times it didn't seem to know of a road, or didn't suggest the most expedient route, it was probably because we had not paid up for an updated map. The display was plenty bright for all conditions and the sound (voice) is fully adjustable, so it does adjust high enough for noisy conditions (children). The suction bracket that fixes to the windshild is strong and easy to use. If you bump the unit while in the bracket, it can fall out, but it never did so spontaneously. All in all, I'm not a power user, but I did use my refurbished TomTom XL 330 consistently on the trip, and it performed admirably.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Tomtom Gps Tomtom Gps Tomtom Gps