Wednesday 29 October 2008

Cordless Drill - cordless drill, battery packs


Product is acceptable and delivery was ok. A warning to Home Depot customers: Home Depot's batteries ARE NOT the original 1700mah bateries - they are downgraded to 1500mah, with the same pricing! Buy this battery at Amazon.com! Battery Nicd Single 18v 1500mah Ryobi - Ridgid 130255004

I bought a cordless drill that came with a flashlight and another tool using this style battery. I took very good care of the battery but it has not lasted as long as batteries of other cordless tools I have owned. I think they must sell the tool at a loss in order for you to keep having to buy batteries for it. It is strange that a replacement battery costs more than I originally paid for the cordless drill and its battery.

I got sold on the concept after getting a drill/flashlight kit - then went on to purchase a string trimmer, a hedge trimmer and a leaf blower. All items functioned well initially for the price paid, but none of the batteries would hold a charge after less than a year of light use and with very few charging cycles. It is a shame that Home Depot would put these products on the market with this major design defect. They have probably spent millions on the development and marketing the product line, so why would they not keep their customers happy with a battery upgrade or replacement program under warranty?

The decision was whether or not to by new screw-guns to get new batteries - which used to be about the same price as just the battery. We got the batteries for 1/3 the price we paid the last time -- 2006 --- we bought (4) this time - great pricing for OEM !! Fast & Free Shipping.... Couldn't do much better.

I purchased a pair of these batteries 3 weeks ago. I meant to write a review sooner, but I've been busy.



I chose the battery that was listed on this page because it said it was SKU 13025504, which is the 1700mAh version of that battery that came with my drill. When they arrived they were not in any official Ryobi packaging or (hard to open) clamshell. They were just wrapped in a bunch of bubble wrap. On the outside of the bubble wrap was a sticker that said 1700mah 13025504. However, after unwrapping them I saw that the model number on the bottom of the battery said 130255004, which is the 1500mAh version. Hmmmmm. I was a bit worried because I dont like that kind of switcheroo, however, the batteries charged in my charger without any problem and have run my drills and saws with fine power and staying-power.



I finally had time to write this review and found that the page had changed (though the reviews were the same as when I had made my purchase - so its kinda-sorta the same product page.) The SKU has changed to 13025504 and the description now says 1500mAh. The seller was D-lowllc when I made my purchase, now the seller is mowtownusa.



So, I guess the bottom line here is that the product I got wasnt as described, but works fine. If you purchase here there's no telling what exactly you will get or who you will get it from. Fortunately in the worst case scenario I think Amazon would take it back. Nonetheelss, if I had it to do over again I would have bought the 1500mAh from Amazon (or Home Depot or whomever,) rather than this indeterminate source.

Good: Looks Original, price is cheaper than retail. Not sure about performance and life time.

Not so good: Description and SKU number received were inconsistent than originally purchased. It was 1700mAh and a different SKU online, but change to 1500mAh to another SKU when received. not in retail box, no warranty card or instruction.

I bought this because it is 1500 mah instead of the regular home depot on which may

1200 or 1300 mah

However, there is no way I can confirm this one is better.

HomeDepot has it for $50 for 2 ($25 for one) which can be cheaper.



Based on model number and no indiction of 1500 mah,

I think this is the same one as HomeDepot Unless I open it up.

I bought a set of Ryobi tools, as household/garage/farm tools. The tools themselves are decent, no Makita or Panasonic for sure, but decent.



Big problem, these batteries are near worthless. Circular saw, one 24" cut and its toast. Drill? 10 holes max, impact driver, 6 holes max, and you are done with any useable power. Seems like all I do is change batteries, and I have 4 of them.



For: Construction/Framing use, worthles / Busy homeowner, somewhat adequate / housewife, here are your tools, just be prepared for a lot of charging.



Ryobi tools are decent, for the money, but if you can, by any means necessary, buy a real set of cordless tools, do it. Ryobi is just a stop gap, till you can replace them. - Battery Packs - Cordless Drill - 18v Battery - Battery Pack'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information