Monday 27 October 2008

Serial Adapter - drivers, mac


This is by far the best USB to serial adapter I have used. A few years ago I went through many different adapters. Everything from $5 e-bay adapters to more expensive ones. The others either did not work they way they should, or they died on me after a short period of time.



I just purchased a second one of these to have in my backpack all the time. I use this adapter for everything from administering servers to configuring network equipment.



The disc that comes with this device come with drives for Windows, Linux, and Mac operating systems. I have had not problems using this with both Windows XP Pro and Windows Vista (Ultimate and Business tested). In addition, I was able to get this to work with Ubuntu (with minicom) without any additional drivers. Cables Unlimited USB-2920 USB 2.0 to Serial DB9 Adapter (2.5 feet, Black)

One of the few USB to serial devices I found that will work with Win7, x64. Automatically loaded drivers, no need for the included CD.



This is replacing an old Belkin that did not have drivers for x64.

The DB9M dongle is well built and does it's single task well. The added extender cable is also a nice bonus. This device allows for a male RS-232 (COM*) cable to be attached to a USB port. While the adapter is a female connector, it oddly has screw rods as if it were a male. This in no way affects the connectivity, but simply prevents some devices from being attached with their own screw rods (unless they are very long).



The included drivers are on a 80mm miniCD, so most slot-loading drives will not be able to use them. Using a tray-loading drive and copying the needed materials was no problem for me, though. Drivers for most any version of Windows as well as OSX are included. I was able to connect my Garmin Forerunner 201 GPS unit via Serial cable to my Intel iMac without any trouble using this device.

This is one of only two of six USB to serial port cords I tried that actually works with my Magellan SporTrak GPS. One of the four that didn't work, and was the most expensive, was purchased from Magellan (Thales Navigation).

Besides being one of least expensive, this cord has the convenience of being a simple adapter connector with a short standard USB extension cord that can be replaced with any length of cord.

I bought this to install onto a Vista 64-bit system. I plugged it in and initially tried to use the included mini CD-ROM to load the drivers, but for some reason my DVD drive couldn't read it. So I let Vista find the drivers automatically and it installed the drivers easily.



But it wouldn't work. I tried re-installing the driver, unplugging it and plugging it back in, but my computer still couldn't find the COM port. I finally rebooted my computer, and ever since then, this adapter has worked perfectly with no issues.



It would've given it 5 stars if the driver installation had gone smoother. Other than that it works perfectly and I'm totally satisfied.

I work as a SAN and storage administrator. Much of the equipement I work on requires the use of a serial port to set up and maintain. Newer laptop computers, unfortunately, aren't equipped with serial ports. So, I bought the USB to RS232 converter to meet my needs. This product works great. It's easy to setup and works just like a built-in serial port. The converter comes with a driver disk. Although Windows Vista drivers were not specifically included on the disk, the Win32/XP drivers worked fine with Vista.

The Velleman 8048 is a Microchip PIC Programmer. This programmer is renowned for NOT working with USB to Serial Converters. A quick check of their forums will let you know that. (A LOT of upset customers saying I have a USB-Serial converter and my programmer doesn't work! Velleman replies - This product DOES NOT work with Converters) Most new computers do not come supplied with a 9-pin serial connection anymore, and mine didn't either. So after purchasing the Velleman and soldering it together, I found in the manual "Does NOT work with USB-Serial Converters". Well I doesn't work with 99% of them. However, this USB converter is so true to actual rs-232, it works great with it. This is a microchip programmer, if it works with this, it should work with anything requiring a serial port.



VERY, VERY, happy with the purchace.



By the way, It comes with a USB extension cable.

I use this product with Tiki Navigator navigation s/w to connect my garmin gps 76 map to my laptop. This product was recommended by Tiki Navigator to use because it was previously reviewed as performing perfectly, which it does. It installs easily and with the blue led allows you to see if power is still connected. Highly recommended! - Mac - Drivers - Usb Adapter - Usb To Serial Adapter'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information