Tuesday 28 October 2008

Smart Cover - smart cover, blueproton


If your only draw to this case is the fact that it has the auto sleep feature then keep looking - there are better ones out there. Although it's a great looking piece of minimalist engineering there are a few gripes I have with this case that make it unusable for me. First, I find that the magnetic bond between folds is just barely enough to hold it in the upright position. The slightest bump sends it toppling. Second, I have issue with the open flat position which rotates the cover to the back of the iPad. This is fine if it's on your lap but put it on a table the soft texture picks up whatever dust is on the table and then promptly puts on your screen when you close the case. This same problem can occur when you fold it into a triangle to support one edge. Although you can fold it in a way that the outer leather is exposed it is easy to inadvertently do it the wrong way. Finally, I am really missing the back cover protection. All in all, I wish Apple had taken their iPad 1 case and modified for the iPad 2 with sleep control. A lot of case manufacturers are now incorporating this feature so again, if this is important to you then keep looking. Apple iPad 2 Leather Smart Cover - Black (MC947LL/A)

I've had this cover for a month. I adore my IPad (first one I've owned) and I treat it with great care. I bought the red leather cover (pricey for what it is) specifically so I easily spot my Ipad on a table and it doesn't end up mistaken as a coaster, etc. And it does look attractive.



After a month's use I found the cover, while clever and attractive, is much to delicate and fiddly. I spend more time serving the needs of the cover then having it just working in the backround assisting ME. I was constantly folding it up in the wrong direction and having remember which direction it goes and start over plus it slips its hinges and I have to reseat it, CONSTANTLY. If I use it a horizontally oriented stand and touch the top of the ipad it topples. Not fun if you have it on a granite countertop..my heart has almost stopped a few times.



The back of the Ipad 2 is unprotected. Does this matter? YES. After researching consumer reviews on Amazon to seek out advice or how other people dealt with these issues, I carefully folded back the cover in half flush against the back of the IPad and held the whole thing in my left hand to clean the screen with my right hand. The hinges moved and the whole thing flipped out of my hands and onto the tile floor. Fortunately the glass didn't break, but 3 of the edges got marred and permanently scuffed, since the back is unprotected.



Please don't respond by telling me that its my fault for not removing the cover before giving the screen a quick clean. The consumer shouldn't be spending this much time fiddling with something that's supposed to be protective.

It appeared to be a clever way to cover the front of the IPad2 without adding much bulk or thickness.

With a few "wow" features: magnetic on and off switching, and magnetic attachment to the pad.



But it offers no protection to the IPad.



At the price of the delicate IPad, it may seem surprising that it comes with no case.

Not surprising at all, as Apple wants you to buy a pricey "smart cover".

Not to mention purchasing another IPad when the first one shatters in a fall.



I have two of these covers. one of made of polyurethane and one is black leather.



With both, the stand made by folding the cover into a triangle is not stable and the IPad falls when the screen is touched with any pressure, as when typing.

Sometimes it falls over if the pad is just jostled slightly. Not good.



As it is just a half cover: it only protects the glass front, if that, and the aluminum back is prone to dings and scratches.

In the case of a long fall the pad has no protection at all.

That is 500 dollars - or more - of an investment in a nice Apple IPad shattered.



If you use the cover enough you will find that thee magnetic lining of the cover attracts metallic dust.

Some of that dust is quite able to scratch the face of the pad.



When the IPad falls over from the unstable stand made from folding the cover, the pad gets a healthy knock.

That cannot be a good thing, and I am waiting for the glass to crack.



Actually I am not taking the chance, I will not use these covers anymore.

It is just too risky, and affords no protection.



If you do use this cover make sure you have another case to put the IPad with the "smart cover in.

Otherwise, I cannot recommend these covers in any way.

*Let's start with the shipment:

Delivery: Super fast

Packaging: Not protective enough. I received the cover with the metal part a little bit bent!



*Seller:

Fast communication. Good return and exchange policy.



*Now the item:

Newsflash "THIS IS NOT A GENUINE COVER"!. I have the Apple's one and these are the difference (I'll post photos soon).

-Packaging: Compared to the original one, this one has a protective clear film on the leather part. In the inner part, you'll find a cutout of the iPad screen.



-leather Part: Original cover have a smooth & soft feel. The color is "brownish black" front and black in back with clean cut. This one looks like it was cut out from a black shoe with dark gray back. It's "cheap shiny" and stiff. It feels ok but it doesn't take you more than a minute to feel that this is not the work of Apple!



-Metal Part: Finishing is almost perfect but it's not. You can see some darker spot if you look harder. Also, the rubber pieced placed are not cleanly cut (compared to original) and the middle one is not well placed in the allocated space.



-Built and balance: This one will stick perfectly on the screen from the first time. You have to adjust or pull it cover the edge.



-Strength of magnet: Weaker than the weak original!! Now I know why couple of reviewers were taking about falling iPads!



-Imprinted information: This one has faded black serial# on the metal part while it's shiny black on the original. Another thing, the statement "Designed by Apple in California..etc" is printed in white at the back on this one but ENGRAVED in the original one.



I hope this information helps. I should've known better when I saw the difference of the price (was 54.95 and seller was GSASTORE). My advice, get it from Apple store directly and don't make my mistake. I See here the price and seller are different !!



P.S. bear with my English, I'm not native :) - Smart Cover - Apple - Blueproton'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information