Tuesday 28 October 2008

Pull Up Bars - chin up, pull-up bars


The assembly is very sturdy. The welds are all nice and clean. The paint quality looks good in dark metallic gray, almost black. The grips are covered with high quality foam and there is also a textured finish underneath the foam. It came with all the hardware I needed for installation. This pull up bar feels rock solid. Very good purchase. Ultimate Body Press Joist Mounted Pull Up Bar

I told a buddy of mine, who is a Doctor, that I planned on using the joist mounted pull up bar and he told me to use with caution. He recently had a patient who broke his femur because the joist snapped. I noted the caution and mounted it as high as I could so I wouldn't sacrifice the integrity of the joist.....just watch your head on the joist behind you!! I have been using this product for 4 weeks and I have had no problems although I pay attention as I use it. I don't have the "hammer" bars on the pull up...with as high as i mounted it, I dodn't think you can use them. Good luck.

It was very easy to assemble in one solid piece.

Mounting it require some time and tools. In my case the joist is 8" thick so the bolts in the package did not work for me. They are designed for 2" joist. However I got 4 big screws (6" long, 3/8) from my local hardware store for total $2.40 and mouned it with some pre-drilling.

Handles have comportable foam and you don't need gloves when using it. Love it.

It would be nice if the height is adjustable.



I keep recommending this product to my friends.

I've been using this bar for a few weeks now and it's incredibly sturdy. It's mounted in the basement on a floor joist and while it's a little cramped at the top, it hasn't stopped me from doing kipping pull-ups using this bar. I had no trouble mounting it and never worry about it moving on me.

This bar works exactly as my son and I hoped it would. It is very sturdy and the padded grips are comfortable. Instructions were clear.



As others have mentioned, mounting it directly to a floor joist makes it easy to bang your head on an adjacent joist. So I made an extension to hang the bar lower and avoid head banging. It would be nice if the bar included extensions so you could hang it lower without having to make the extenders yourself. That's the only reason I gave 4 stars instead of 5.

The pull up bar looks nice, and I would normally give it 4-5 stars, but the 4 main bolts that attach the pull up bar to the joist are too short!



Joist = 1 1/2"

Pull up bar = 1"

2 washers @ 1/16" each = 1/8"

Nut = 3/8"

Total of above= 3"



Bolt length: 2 7/8"



And, this also assumes that your joist is perfectly square/uniform. There should at least be 1/8 - 1/4" extra, which would make the bolt 3 1/8 - 3 1/4 ". Thus, the bolts that are shipped are ~3/8" too short.



I went to the hardware store to buy longer bolts 4 * 2.20/each = ~$9.50 with tax. I plan on contacting the manufacturer/seller.



Edit: after contacting Amazon, who sells this, and requesting some kind of partial refund or new bolts, all they offered was to return and repurchase. Why would I do this if I would expect to get bolts the same size? Rating now downgraded from 2 stars -> 1 star. - Chin-up - Pull-up Bars - Chin Up - Chin Up Bar'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information