Thursday 30 October 2008

Milwaukee - band saw, bandsaw


This band saw is quite a bit smaller than the other 4.5 inch milwaukee deep cut band saw. After using the large one for a while I realize that I did not often cut that large of material. So the smaller and lighter band saw is perfect most of the time. And being corded it is much cheaper to buy than any other battery operated saw. Milwaukee 6242-6 Compact Band Saw Kit

Before this compact band saw became available, I had purchased a Milwaukee 6232-6N portable band saw. The big band saw is awkward and heavy for me to use. The compact band saw is much lighter, much more maneuverable, it is my go to band saw. I actually look for projects where I can use it. I am a retired carpenter, and am now a tool collector. Most of my power tools are Milwaukee, followed by Makita and Bosch. Once again, Milwaukee has made an incredible product, just like their Hole Hawgs and Sawzalls.

I bought this from Orchard Supply on sale, and wish I had discovered it years ago.

It's so much easier than hacksawing through pipes etc.

It's light weight and easy to use.

In my shop, I often clamp the handle in my swiveling vise and treat it like a little shop bandsaw, with the blade vertical. I'd like a table it would work with.

The main limitation is the maximum cutting size, which is not quite enough for handling nominal 4 inch lumber.

Parts are inexpensive and readily available (I bought some extra guide bearings, thinking I might make my own guide to allow its use for doing some ripping cuts, as opposed to the cross cuts it is intended for.

I love this portable bandsaw, but when I tried to used it with my Xantrex 1500 power box it did not work. I can use a dewalt or milwaukee fullsize bandsaw with a scissor lift to cut conduit and steel pipe from the ceiling of industrial plants after removing machinary. I hoped to use this bansaw, because it weighs less their is less fatigue. But it doesn't work with my power box. I guess it is the electronic switch. - Band Saw - Milwaukee - Bandsaw'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information