Wednesday 29 October 2008

Do It Yourself - hobby, tools


This is an excellent accessory for the already-versatile rotary tool. The trick to its use is to recognize the inherent limitation of all rotary tools.



They are high-speed, low-torque tools. The work is done in the same way that a dentist's drill works: Very light pressure lets the bit in effect shave away the material. As the manual says, you need to adjust the tool so the bit is very close to the workpiece, then slowly lower the bit into it.



This means you can't use the Dremel drill press the same way you would use a full-size drill press, where you can bear down on the lever and force the bit to dig into the work. If you try to use it that way, you'll get the "slop" that some other reviewers mention.



When it's used correctly-- and the manual makes it very clear how to do so-- this is a very good accessory to have. Dremel 220-01 Rotary Tool Work Station

This press is great for all those little odd jobs. As a hobbyist, I use this item often. The slop others mentioned in other reviews can easily be removed by adjusting the 4 set screws to snug things up and tightening the other nuts and bolts in the assembly. Any press will flex if its forced beyond its intended limits. When used as intended. This press does everything it claims and more. The fact it can be adjusted to work as a bench grinder only adds to it value. When combined with a cross-slide mini vise. It will also work as a mini bridgeport for light machining. I would have given it a 5 star rating. But because I had to take the whole thing apart and reassemble it the way it should have been done at the factory. I gave it a 4. All in all, its still a great addition for anyone that owns a Dremel.

Dremels' work station for their rotary tool is a great little station. You are able to bolt it onto your workbench if you prefer. Some folks don't think you need to but I like to work with different jigs and such and need a very stable base, so I bolt mine. And along that line of thinking is the fact that you can tilt the tool anywhere from 15° to 90° which will help you when you want to turn it into a sanding and polishing tool for more intricate work.

It has a great little tool "caddy" which they like to call the "Crows nest" that you can store some of your more favorite bits. Or the way I use it is to place the bits and collets I'm going to use for whatever project that I'm working on at the time because I put all my bits and things up when done and cover the station to prevent dust build up.

The telescoping tool stand holds the tool when you are using the FlexShaft(tm). The base of the station has both metric and standard symbols as does the depth gauge.

All in all it's a great station for the rotary tool. But, the one little drawback that I've found in my working with it is that with other stations like this one, the others usually have a strap to clamp the upper portion of the tool securely to the tool stand. I find this helpful when drilling fine holes into decorative stones that I tumble and polish. Without that strap, using the the fine diamond drill bits will sometimes try to "travel" across the stone which will cause scratch marks. But, the great feel that the handle gives you allows me to prevent that by very delicately bringing the bit down to the stone in minute strokes until the bit has the hole started and then it's drilling as usual when using a fine diamond drill bit. That's why I give this station a 4 out of 5. Really I'd like to give it a 4½ stars but that's not one of the choices! Also the great deal I got buying this tool through Amazon.com beats all other sites and stores. So guys, show the wife the tool, what can be done with it and the low price, and you'll be getting yours in the mail soon!

This tool works quite well for me as a light duty drill press in my activities as a silversmith. While I rarely drill through any thing much heavier than 24 gage [B&S] sterling silver with a bit any larger than 1/16", it works fine if you don't "hog it" and allow the bit to do the work. I have also used a #61 bit with equal success while drilling starter holes for pierced work, usually within close quarters where accuracy is important. In either case, ONE DOES HAVE TO FEED SLOWLY in order to avoid deflection in the bit itself. I have occassionaly used it for light duty grinding [of stones] although that is the usual domain of my Foredom flexible shaft tool.



I have a Delta drill press for woodworking. Each machine fills its own niche and does a good job in their respective roles. Just don't confuse their roles. I would recommend the Dremel for its intended design purpose. It would work great in most any reasonable hobby use such as model aircraft and/or model railroad construction, both of which I have enjoyed.



And, I am a retired mechanical and structural engineer that is pretty picky about his tools.

I purchased the 220-01 Workstation planning to use it as a drill press. After taking it out of the box, and assembling it per the instructions, I realized that it is horribly flexible, making it impossible to drill holes with ANY accuracy. I'm not that picky either -- I know that a $50 drill press/attachment will have its limitations, but even with the 1/8th inch drill bit, attempting to make a hole is impossible.



Trying to make a hole yields a disfigured slot. The tool holder will flex in one direction when you push down, and flex in the other direction when you pull back up. You end up with a disfigued slot that is of no use. It ruined a piece I was trying to work on.



The dremel tool itself is held tight ... It's the flimsy plastic tool holder that seems to have a lot of slop internally.



To make matters worse, the clamp that will let you rotate the tool holder 90 degrees (to use the dremel as a stationary sander, etc.) never locks tight, so if you aren't careful, the tool holder itself can rotate counter-clockwise.



This "workstation" is a waste of money if you plan to use it as a drill press, or want any sort of accuracy at all. - Tools - Crafts - Hobby - Power Tool Accessories'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information