Sunday 30 August 2009

American Weigh - american weigh, grains


I bought this precision scale and calibration weight set specifically so that I could tell whether a clear round brilliant cut gemstone that I have was a real diamond or a synthetic diamond. I measured the diameter and depth of the stone with a caliper and then used a mathematical formula to determine what the gem SHOULD weigh if it were a diamond perfectly cut, which was a little over 1.97 carats. Then I used the scale to weigh the stone. It weighed 3.4 carats, meaning that it's cubic zirconia, which has a specific gravity much higher than that of a diamond.

Oh well, at least I know for sure, instead of having to trust a jeweler to tell me the truth about it.



By the way, this scale is quite small and light, can use several different units of measure, and arrived with batteries installed and ready for the calibration to be tested and the scale to be used. AmericanWeigh Silver Precision Digital Pocket Scale 1543 x 0.1 grain and 100 x 0.01 gram With 100 Gram Calibration Weight

DBRoth provides the one piece chrome calibration weight as pictured, in a plastic carrying case. I saw in reviews of other vendors that the 100g weight provided was inferior and in one case, missing a screw-on handle (!). The scale is very nice for a variety of uses where precision is required, and the sensitivity to measure grains at this price is an outstanding value. Readout is bright and and calibration is pass/fail, a nice feature imo.

I collect tobacco pipes and blend pipe tobacco for my own use, and I needed a small digital scale for measuring out the differant tobacco's. I originally bought the 100 gram scale but realized that I should have purchased the 600 gram scale for weighing larger amounts.I knew it was worth the money so I purchased the 600 gram scale too.They also work great for weighing my small packages and envelopes that I mail,now I can figure my postage before going to the post office. They are both very easy to use and I'm very satisfied with the quality of both of these scales.I recommend these two scales to anyone needing a small scale. And for the price,I am glad that I bought both of them. Good Luck

First, although the item arrived within the estimated period (barely), it was one of the slowest deliveries I've ever had on an Amazon purchase.



Then, as others here have written, there was no calibration weight included. No space for it in the package, no separate package, no indication that it should have been included. When contacted, Amazon said it could not rectify this by sending me the weight; the seller had apparently changed its policy without changing its listing.



Last, the batteries were already set in the active battery compartment without a separator between them and the contacts, and thus they were DOA.



All around one of the worst purchasing experiences I've had with Amazon, but it's all on the store that listed these scales, Potential Dynamix. I returned the item, got a refund approved, ordered a Polder scale directly from Amazon and received it within three business days. My recommendation: avoid Potential Dynamix and its false advertising.

I am disappointed because this scale combo has been misrepresented. It states a 100 gram calibration weight is included and it wasn't. I can't wait a month for the turnaround of a return and refund, so I guess I get to eat it since they won't just send the calibration weight to me that THEY DID NOT INCLUDE. Give me what I paid for!!!!!

Well this happens to be my first pocket scale, and it is GREAT!



It has a sleek and compact design, it's made of black plastic and has a bright blue LED.

It is very accurate AT least to .1 (I only had other .1 scales to compare it too), but be careful it is QUITE fragile. After less than a month of owning, and I'll be honest, a fair amount of abuse the weight is off and calibration will not fix it. If you don't plan on constantly dropping this thing, then that shouldn't be a concern.



It's VERY NICE for weighing your "stuff", just be sure to get a tray for weighing, the warranty will NOT ACCEPT the scale if it has foreign residues.



Overall, an awesome value, I'm off to buy a replacement for the one I broke. AMW scales are the best!



(Also I included a picture of the product and it's contents in the "Customer Images' section, I have a card on the scale for a sizing reference for those interested)

I bought this to doublecheck a more expensive jewelry/gem scale

and was impressed with its accuracy and ease of use. Whenever

using a scale for small items, you should have a calbration weight

on hand --- this was right-on.

Occasionally it will read a thousandth of a gram low or high, but otherwise performs perfectly. Yes, you must keep air currents out off of the scale and item being weighed for 0.01 gram accuracy. Also, the scale must be placed on a very stable platform. The heavier the better. Even minute vibration of the unit will affect readings, sometimes significantly. With no way of testing the 100 gram weight itself for accuracy, I'll just comment that the chrome on it is crude. The scale itself is better made and nicer appearing than I expected from the photos. Very handy, fits in a standard pant pocket. All in all, worth every penny of the $16.99 I paid for it.

This scale is easy to use, is reliable, and seems accurate.



Out-of-the-box experience was easy. Just take the wrapper off the two included batteries, press the power button, and calibrate it following the instructions printed on the inside lid.



If you turn on the scale and it doesn't show 0.00 on the screen, it is time to recalibrate. This happened to me three times in one week, probably because of temperature changes in my house as winter rolled in. I recommend keeping the calibration weight next to the scale.



Aside from the 100-g weight, I have no way of checking the accuracy of the scale, but I will say that it is consistent and reliable. I can weigh the same thing multiple times and get the same reading, assuming I give it time to settle, and allowing for edge conditions where it might go up or down 0.01g.



I bought this scale for a science experiment that my son did that required him to detect weight change as mold grew on bread. The weighing plate is raised above the surface of the scale a little, so we could keep the bread in plastic food savers and still get good measurements. Day-by-day the change was around 0.10g so this scale had the perfect mix of precision and price. - Homebrewing - Pocket Scale - Grains - American Weigh'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information