Sunday 30 August 2009

Pet Nail Trimmer - pet grooming tool, dog grooming


I received the Peticure Elite cordless model 7802 last week which came with a partial charge. The first thing I noticed about the Elite is the plastic casing felt well constructed, not as quality as Dremil, but satisfactory for it's purpose. The collar threads below the bit collet are not the same as a Dremil, so you obviously cannot transfer the "Safe Guard" (collects nail dust) to your Dremil. Proprietary, smart.



When I turned on the motor using the variable speed control I noticed the motor is rather weak and produced very little or no torque\kick starting off, unlike my Dremil. This indicated Peticure skimped on the quality of the motor probably to lower production costs. Did I mention it's made in China? So much for keeping jobs in America.



I read all the directions, fully charged the battery, and filed my dogs nails accordingly. The first three paws sanded fine, only taking off a little and not spending more than 3-5 sec per\nail as to not burn it. While finishing up on the last nail the Elite just shut down\died. I thought the battery charge was spent but usually that is indicated by a slowing motor; it simply died.



I thought, "Don't tell me the motor has already burnt out?" Being doubtful that this couldn't possibly be that big of a piece-O-crap I charged the battery again. I plugged the battery back into the Elite and guess what, the motor is fried. I was barely applying pressure to the nail while filing at the time the motor died! My suspicion of a cheap motor was correct. I turned my Dremil on, which is the same size, and the difference in sound\power\torque is worlds better than the Peticure Elite. This would never happen to my Dremil and I've ran it on lesser duties for minutes.



The Elite apparently isn't so "Elite". It's going back in the box and back to Peticure. I don't want to take a chance upgrading to the "Power" version in fear of wasting more of my time and money.



Conclusion: Great design\concept, weak, cheap motor. What a disappointment. Peticure Elite Pet Nail Trimmer

THIS IS A REVIEW OF THE PETICURE POWER, PROFESSIONAL MODEL.



I have a great dog with a good temperament. However, to cut his nails and then spend a long time filing them takes a lot of time and patience on both the dog's and dog parent's part.



Even with walking outside the nails are still sharp. I saw an ad for the Pedipaws but searching on the internet, it was an offshoot from the Dremel and Peticure.



Not having much experience with these devices, I compared the prices of the 3 models by Peticure. There are three models: The Petite, Elite and Power. The Petite and Elite come with 3 filing bands. The Power which operates through a plug has 20 extra bands, is lighter and 2 times more powerful. Given the fact that bands are $15 for 20, there is no reason to get nothing but the Power model (except for recharging capability).



The 2 sheets that accompany the model are poorly written. You have to refer to the company website to watch the videos on how to operate this. Putting the thing together is not intuitive. More explicit directions would have been better.



You need to remove the plastic ring at the base of the head to attach the guard. You push the lock button to untwist the mechanism to place the drum on the unit.



The noise is a moderate pitched whirring sound. My dog was not frightened by it. There are preset ports that the nail is placed into. Stabilize the pet's finger and use quick strokes to file the nail. After some awkwardness of the operator, me, I got the hang of it. There are videos on the website to direct you. Dewclaws (at least on my dog's) were impossible to file. The guard prevents but does not entirely eliminate the possibility of hair getting caught into the mechanism so be careful.



After spending 3 times more effort assembling the unit versus actually using it, I was quite satisfied with it.



If you are concerned about cutting your dog's nails but want something quicker to use, this is IT! This helps me round out the 'sharp nails' that I have to deal with when my doggy greets us.



Aside from the stated 4-6 weeks of receiving it from ordering, it was worth the wait.



I highly recommend THE PEDICURE POWER, PROFESSIONAL MODEL.

A good concept that does save time and stress on pets. However, this product is a sub-par money maker for someone. The dust from the nail grinding gets into the motor and roller bearing area and causes high squealing noises. The dust must be blown out of all areas of the machine not just the grinding end. This must be done with every use with canned air or an air compressor. The battery heats up quite a bit when charged and looses it's charge quickly. After a few uses, the battery needed to be charged between dogs, we have two. I charged the battery 1 day ago and approx. 36 hours later it was completely dead. We bought the more expensive version but I could not reccommend it. Best to use the cheaper model or the clone available at Pet Smart etc., and throw it away when the battery gets weak. It's made specifically to require a special battery and the head unit will not fit a Dremel. Again, great idea but Peticure is not a great product.

After I got this in the mail, I read a review of this thing working once, and then never coming on again. Well it happened to me. It was partially charged out of the box and tried it on my Golden (who didn't mind). I put it on the charger and that was it! It never turned on again. Buy the Pedi Paws. At least that works and hasn't died.

I was impressed with it at first because it seemed more powerful and better made than the pedipaws. It worked ok the motor shaft was bent to begin with. but after the second use it died! I am so disappointed and So very let down I spent all that money on it. On one good note it was our dogs lucky day right?? :( Oh maybe it has a warranty?? Looked through the box for paperwork.. oh ha!! ...Made in china! It is now on my desk in pieces as a paperweight put my VOM on it and realized it was just a big POS. I Don't think I really feel like buying another one just for a single use. The guard is the nicest part but not adaptable to a dremil . If you have money to burn and want to use this only once this is the perfect device for you. we are now going to just get a good cordless $70-90 Dremil to do the job. - Dog Grooming - Pet Grooming Tool - Peticure Elite - Pet Nail Trimmer'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information