Friday 28 August 2009

Upconverting Dvd Players - multi-region dvd player, multi-region


This DVD player works fine, good picture, easy to set up, plays region two DVDs, in short everything I was looking for in a cheap DVD player. it's not top of the line, but at the price it does what I purchased it for just fine.



One drawback that other reviewers didn't cover - the remote for the DVD player is very small. As a woman with fairly small hands, I tend to hit the wrong buttons at times because they are so close together, this could be more of a problem for someone with larger hands.



Another drawback, but one that I am more than willing to live with because I find it entertaining, would be the noise the DVD player makes when you first load a DVD. When I first heard the sound it reminded me of something I heard before - a distinct sound that I couldn't for the life of me place. It was driving me crazy trying to figure it out. A few days ago I asked my friend to listen to it, to see if she could place it. As soon as she heard it she started laughing and said "It's an angry Tribble". We put the old Star Trek episode with the Tribbles on, and sure enough, the sound the Tribble makes when it sees a Klingon is the same sound this DVD player makes when a DVD first loads. For that reason alone, I upped this review from three stars to four. Samsung DVD-C350 Multi All Region Code Zone Free PAL/NTSC DVD Player. Plays DVDs from Region 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9.

I bought this having purchased other multi region dvd players that didn't work. Despite stating they were multi region they would only play US dvds. I did't have very high hopes for this one either but it was a good price so decided to take a chance. It worked perfectly right out of the box exactly as advertized. I simply connected it, put in a UK disc and it played. The picture is perfect and I have had no problems at all with it.

I was skeptical about this multiregion dvd player. I have two other multiregion players and all required a code so I was expecting the same from this Samsung. However, it did as advertised and played my UK dvd right out of the box...so kudos for that. However, a couple of days ago I popped a region one disk (USA) into the player and it wouldn't play! Just told me it was the "wrong region". Not sure what the deal is with this as it's supposed to play all regions 0-whatever. Wondering if this has happened to anyone else.

I am very happy with the unit I bought. It worked right out of the box, no codes to enter. Easy set up. The cost wasn't bad either. The remote could have been bigger, but all in all, I'm very pleased.

I recently purchased this DVD player with a Region 4 DVD. The player did not work at all, constantly displaying an "Error" signal over and over again. I couldn't get a picture, and I tried both a Region 1 and Region 4 DVD. The machine itself is flimsy and fragile. I was terrified of breaking it. Needless to say I have returned it. I don't recommend buying this DVD player.



Note: I talked to a rep at a Best Buy and asked about the player. He said the Region Free Samsung players they'd sold were all returned, but none of the Philips players were, so look into that before buying this thing.

No complaints with this Samsung DVD player. Picture quality, ease of use, are all much better than average. The only feature this machine lacks is a HDMI port. If you look at the page where it is advertised you will notice that HDMI cords are sold as an accessory. Unfortunately, I did not check further as I thought that it had that capability. It is also region free out of the box. No codes to enter, or switches to position, it is truly plug n play. On the first afternoon after I hooked it up I played both a region 1 and a region 3 dvd with no problems at all. So, other than the need to have 3 wires instead of one, this machine is a good buy and won't disappoint. I believe that it would beat all other players in this price range for picture quality and durability.

I bought this so that I could buy Region 4 and region 2 DVD sets that are not available in the U.S. Did that, and this machine works well. Why all machines are not region free? Who knows? The quality is good, it works well and is very affordable!

It does what you hope it will do -- play DVDs encoded for any region, in NTSC or PAL -- without hassles or entering codes or hacks. And, it does so at an attractive (nearly unbeatable) price.



So, yes.



But...



The machine looks, seems, and feels downright flimsy. It's hard to believe it's a Samsung product, as I've known them to make rugged and durable home electronics. I would not want such a lightweight piece of plastic crap for my sole or main DVD player, and I'm glad it's not. In short, if this machine were not all-region, all-format, you would never, never, never want it.



And: the remote control is a MAJOR headache. I can hardly find words to describe how tiny it is. Lilliputian, perhaps. If you have largish thumbs, you will find it is smaller than your thumbnail. Honestly. There are buttons on it -- too small to count, like grains of sand -- but you won't be able to use them except by holding a toothpick between your fingers. It hardly matters, because whatever legends accompany the buttons are microscopic. I could not read them with a magnifying glass and a bright light. This unit's remote control is absolutely the worst, least-user-friendly, most aggravating, desultory excuse for product engineering I HAVE EVER SEEN, or would be, if it were large enough to see. Beware: if you have housecats, this remote control will go missing very quickly. Also, it does not come with the required AAA battery.



Alarmingly, the unit comes with a manual that makes it clear it will only play NTSC Region 1 DVDs (which is untrue) and the expected Region 1 decal on the back of the machine (likewise).



In short: BUY if you want a secondary DVD player to handle discs in multiple regions and formats. DO NOT BUY if you only want one DVD player, period. If you must have multi-region, multi-format capability, and you want only one DVD player, this ain't it. Spend more on another. - Multi-region Dvd Player - Multi-region - Up-converting - Dvd Player'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


    ,
  • dvd player
  • ,
  • multi-region
  • ,
  • up-converting
  • ,
  • multi-region dvd player