Tuesday 25 August 2009

Polisher - grinders, concrete


I am very skilled at working other construction materials but this was my first try at stone. This tool worked ideal for my application of granite tile as a low cost substitute for solid granite kitchen countertops. As usual when working with new materials I learned a few very valuable lessons. First you really dont need the router bit if you are good with power tools such as grinders. However if you do use the router, the 3/16 bit really does not take out much but use some blue painters tape on the polished surface of tile about 3/16 inch from edge. Otherwise the router bit will damage the polished surface.



Next as you grind the surface you can start with 100 grit and use that grit lightly. If you have to make your own round edge the 50 grit really removes the stone nicely. Its surprisingly easy to work with similar to wood but takes more time to slowly remove surface. Use progressively higher grit, focus the 200 grit to remove all saw marks. I focused also on the 800 grit to get a smooth surface and then really used the higher grits to get a nice shine. I also purchased a buff grit. DONT let the wheels touch the existing factory polished edges. Just focus on the round edge you want and the exposed edge you want polished. If you get onto the factory polish you will ruin the tile.



As for the tool you will need a small hose clamp to keep the water hose attached to the nipple. I also cut the water way back to where I only had enough to keep things cool. Plan on getting wet so dress accordingly.



One final lesson learned. When cutting the granite (which is easy on a tile wet saw with stone blade). Flip the tile over and do a start cut on the ending cut a bit into the stone. Then flip the tile back over to cut the tile. If you don't have the ending cut done first you will chip the stone as you finish your cut. You can simply use the grinder tool with 100 grit to smooth the cut surface and put a small 45 degree edge on the top side to match the factory grout edge. The tool seems really nice and well built but I've only used it this one time. It has a factory warranty. Vendor shipped this product quickly. SECCO 316WVPOLSET 3/16-Inch Radius Wet Polisher Kit

The Pro - Great, easy to use and does one heck of a job, I am very impressed with it. It was a short learning curve but once I figured out a few things, I was grinding and polishing like a mad dog. I will probably end up doing about 80 granite squares (1 edge only) I am now doing sets of 4 tiles in about 30 minutes from grinding, all through each polish wheel to the end 10,000 polish wheel which is not included in the mix, but you need it if you want a polished edge. This is so easy that it is crazy to spend that $10 to $20 per square to have it polished for you by a contractor. 1 note to mention, be prepared to get wet!



The Con - The learning curve would have been shorter if there had been some sort of instructions packaged with it. I was disappointed at first because it did not seem that it was going well, but then when I increased the speed of the unit, that made all the difference in the world. The main issue is that crazy hose, I put it all together and remembered to seat it real good, but when I turned the water on, the hose got a bubble and burst. It was near the end so I cut it, and put the end on and started again, after about 10 minutes, the other end got a bubble and burst. I did not like the big size hose to deal with while I was using it, so I went to the hardware store and after $15 of brass fittings and 10 feet of clear tubing, I made a great attachment. Sturdy and 1/3 the size of that green hose. The 10 feet gave me plenty of room so that I was not standing on the garden hose as I used it.

Second, The wrenches in the unit do not fit the grinding wheel or pad, not a big deal as the important one (the interior) is what is needed most.



So all in all I am really happy with it. It does a great job and I will rate it a 4, but with a simple manual or DVD included, plus getting rid of that crazy hose would make this thing would be a Perfect 5!

This is my first stone polisher,so I can't tell the difference between this one and one professional(Flex,Makita etc).Most important is IT DOES the job and I'm pleased for the money I paid and the results.There is another similar product Robo something the switch is on the back instead on the front side but same thing.It doesnt even tell where is made(Italian name),but smells like China machine oil.I was able to insert a 1/4 tubing attached to a fontain pump which gives you more moving flexability.

I am a tiler and I needed a wet-polisher to help me with a few curb and shelf pieces for a custom travertine bathroom job and probably once or twice a year for similar work. I compared all of the wet-polishing grinders available on Amazon and was a little nervous on which to purchase to get the most bang for my buck. I didn't want a cheap hunk o'junk, nor did I want a premium-priced tool.



In the end, I chose the Secco and overall, I am quite happy with it. It feels solid and well-constructed. The D-handle is metal, not plastic. The electric cord is heavy duty with its integrated GFI breaker. The variable speed adjustment works great, as does the water feed valve. I have not had an issue with overheating as of yet as with a Makita grinder/polishers I've used previously, (but I haven't worked it too hard yet either).



I have not replaced or upgraded the water hose as other reviewers suggest, and I've had no problems with it (though I admit a little more length would be nice.) A locking disc-change mechanism is the only feature I miss. I found that the spray guard works pretty well to keep me from getting too wet, but it has to be adjusted slightly each time depending on which attachment one is using. Wearing an apron never hurts. There are a few other small improvements which could be made, like a less cumbersome water feed, but they are probably in the domain of higher-priced tools.



The round-over router attachment and all the polishing pads work well as expected, though I can't speak to their longevity as of yet. I would recommend this tool to a first-time or occasional user. It's probably not for the custom concrete or full-time stone professional, but it's felt like a great value to me and I expect to get years of use from it, which is why I'm ranking it five stars. - Er - Tile - Concrete - Grinders'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


    ,
  • er
  • ,
  • tile
  • ,
  • grinders
  • ,
  • concrete