Saturday 29 August 2009

Battery Replacement - battery, battery replacement


I bought this battery to replace my OEM MacBook battery. When I got it it fit great and started to charge right away. However, last month the MacBook wouldn't register a click from the trackpad. I tried almost everything. Eventually, I went to the Genius Bar, they took out the battery and could easily see a slight bulge in the battery. This bulge happened to be right under the trackpad and was pressing up against the bottom of the trackpad. Once the battery was removed, the computer registered clicks just fine. Put the battery in and you can't click a thing.



This battery, by McVolt, is supposed to have a 12 month warranty. Maybe it does, but after numerous emails to the seller (yoyoStatix) and to McVolt (and forms on their website), I have yet to hear anything. So my guess is that I will never hear from either of these two unreliable companies.



I have two pieces of advice: one, for Amazon, stop working with unreliable vendors in your marketplace; two, for the consumer, buy an Apple OEM replacement- that's what I am doing now. Super-Capacity Li-ion Battery For Apple A1185 MacBook Pro 13" Series MA254B/A MB062X/A MA254 A1181 MA472 MA472B/A MA701 MA701B/A MB063*/A MB063B/A MB063CH/A series and More

This battery is a perfectly fine replacement for a black Macbook battery. Most of us who own blackies know that we're outdated, so a little compromise for a cheaper battery is not a bad thing. This battery does have longer life than my older Apple-purchased batter, but one huge downside:



There is no power bank. As most of you know, your Macbook has the option to go into sleep mode once power drains down to less than 5% or so (or whatever you set it to), but this battery cannot do that. It drains down to nothing and your computer simply shuts down cold. This was a hard lesson to learn.



Other than that, this battery won't last as many years as the Apple-certified ones, but it will do the job until you get a new computer next year.

Recently the battery on my black MacBook stopped charging. I was going to buy a replacement battery but saw that one made by apple is $129. In my opinion that is too expensive for a battery (about a third of what my MacBook's market value currently is). I wasn't going to buy one because of this, but it would instantly shut down if the charger was accidentally removed.



Luckily I stumbled upon this amazing battery. As many of the reviews indicate, there tends to be a mix up when it comes to the battery color you end up getting. I ordered a black battery but received a white one. Although I would have obviously wanted one to match, the price is great and I don't mind for the price I paid. After all who sees the bottom of your laptop?



The battery lasts a considerable amount of time, when I disconnect it after it is completely charged it says "6:10 remaining." I don't remember how long the original battery lasted, but I don't see any noticeable difference between the two.



Many of the posts here tend to be negative because of the color mix-up but don't be discouraged from buying this if you really need a battery. You have no reason to spend more than $40 on a laptop battery.

the battery is fine. The real praise goes to the company from where it was purchased. I selected the black battery by mistake as I wanted a white one to match my computer. I called and spoke to Traci and she said to just send it back. They had the white one to me a week later and didn't charge me a dime. Great service!

Ordered from GSI fulfilled by Amazon. Item pictured is clearly black. I received a white battery. From other reviews I've read this seems to be a common issue.



Update 1/13/11: Ordered a second time (after a prompt refund from Amazon on the error) from seller Fantasia Trading LLC. This unit is completely different. It was the correct color primarily. It also has the 5% reserve functionality that the other battery did not. The finish of the battery doesn't match the back of my MacBook but it's close enough to not stand out (I'm only concerned in the event I resell my MacBook). Time will tell how the battery holds up. I've revised my rating to 4 stars. Just be cautious from whom you're ordering this product. Avoid GSI.

Works great just like the original and it's less than 1/2 the price of a battery from Apple. The only issue be it very minor, is the color. It's a little darker black than the back of my MacBook. I have a case so it's not an issue for me.

I bought this as a cheap alternative to the Apple macbook battery. After 5-6 years my original battery wouldn't hold a charge for longer than 20 minutes. So instead of buying a new $100 apple battery I bought this instead. It lasts long enough, maybe an hour or two off of the cord, not near as long as the apple did when it was brand new, but for me it's good enough. I never find myself far away from an outlet for that long. Good cheap replacement, but just doesn't hold the 3 hours as a new OEM battery. But i'm happy. - Macbook Battery - Battery - Macbook - Battery Replacement'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information