Wednesday 26 August 2009

Shooting - ear protection, hearing protector


These things are fantastic. I use them at the shooting range, and I'm no longer bothered by my own gun or the yahoo standing next to me with a 50 caliber canon.



They are very comfortable, cut noise to almost nothing, yet allow you hear commands at the range so you don't fire when someone runs out to change a target. Turn down the volume, or turn them off, and they will block out everything from 4th of July fireworks to the kids killing each other in the living room.



One nice feature is that they only use one battery that's easy to replace. It will last a lot longer if you remember to turn them off when you are not using them.



Finally, someone mentioned the lag time after they cut out. Yes, there is a slight lag after someone takes a shot and they cutout, but it's really not bad, and you get used to it quickly. I only notice it if a truck is idling at the range. You can hear the truck, someone takes a shot, then a second passes before you can hear the truck again. Peltor 97044 Tactical 6S Active Volume Hearing Protector

I purchased model 97044 Peltor hearing protector based largely on the reviews I read here. This is quite possibly the worst hearing protection I have ever used. I wrote this unit off as a lemon or part of a bad batch. However, I was at my local shooting range this past weekend when a gentleman approached me because he noticed that I was wearing the same brand that he had. We compared notes and realized that we both had the same issues. They are as follows.



1. The battery location and replacement procedure is ill considered and lends itself to the possibility of damage to the unit when accessing the battery compartment.

2. The location and orientation of the on/off/volume knob, specifically the right side, causes the right unit to be inadvertently activated when the unit is folded for storage. Thus draining the batteries in that unit between uses. This has happened twice.

3. The function of the unit during the first use was good. All subsequent uses have seen a severe decline in quality of the electronics of the unit. My unit crackles and pops. The other gentleman's does not work at all and he feels that he gets very little protection.

4. The actually Db reduction is somewhat suspect.



That all said, a friend has one of the other, more expensive models, that he is happy with thus far. I really don't know if I'm willing to give this company more of my money in hopes that there is light ahead. I really hope this helps everyone who is considering this model.



Caveat emptor!

I am an Army MP officer stationed in Iraq. In the 3 weeks since I got these muffs I have used them on a couple of small arms ranges, in a CQB live fire exercise, and on several tactical ground and air movements. So far, they have performed as advertised. Very comfortable, fit great under the helmet, the mics work beautifully. Light weight, easy to store and carry (I usually loop them thru the strap on the non-firing shoulder of my IBA), and appear to be holding up nicely. Sturdy, user-friendly design, good protection, overall excellent value for the price. I am happy with them.

The "Peltor Tactical 6-s is everything I hoped for.They allow me to shoot at the range with no damaging noise, and still hear the range officer, or conversations near me.



Also I found that when using a noisy folding machine at work the sound is muted and barely audible. But I can still hear the telephone or someone speaking.



I love 'em

I bought two of the Peltor 97044 Tactical 6-S hearing protectors for myself and a friend and fellow officer. They exceeded both of our expectations and performed as well as or better than some more expensive muffs tried in the past. Thankyou for a fine product.

These muffs work great for shooting and other short term uses. The electronics work well, allowing you to hear conversations and other low volume sounds while blocking loud noises. The spring steel headband holds the earpieces tightly, perhaps too tightly. After wearing them for a day of working with a chain saw it felt like I had had my head in a vice. I tried them again a week later with the same resulting headache. I don't use them now for anything that requires more than about 15 minutes of continuous wear.

I wear two hearing aids. When I go to the range there is always someone using a "hand cannon" nearby that, even with standard ear protection, makes my ears ring .... So I did the usual net "review" and selected these ear protectors to try. They seriously dampen the blasts from the hand cannons that the young folks are into these days, sure is nice to walk out of the range and still be able to hear ......

I purchased the 6-S ear muffs for the size, full size muffs get in my way when shooting and I don't care for ear plugs. They work as stated and fit fine but the comfort level for long term where is not so good. They mention that the pads wear out in 6 months, which I thought odd because I have muffs a lot older than 6 months that I never replaced anything on. The interior foam will wear out on these for sure, do to the fact that they make contact with your ears. This is what makes them hot and uncomfortable for long term wear (3-4 hours). Not to mention your glasses "must" have wire frames or the muff becomes useless, there is no extra room in the cup for the arms of your eye wear. - Hearing - Ear Protection - Hearing Protector - Earmuffs'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information