Thursday 29 October 2009

Combination - keyless deadbolt, dead bolt


These Lockey digital Locks are the BEST. I was so sick and tired of keys, keys, keys everywhere. Then I had an employee lose the office key and she had to call a locksmith $$$. So I started researching electric battery locks. They did not seem to be very reliable, and what about when the battery dies. These Lockey Locks are high quality and easy to use and are totally mechanical, no batteries. You punch in the code and turn the knob, and yes, you can change the code. If you make a mistake, it is easy to clear the code by turning the knob and start over. You can even tell if someone has tried entering a code and not gained entry. The first thing you do when you approach the lock is turn the knob (this clears codes or mistakes), if you hear clicks, you know someone has tried entering a code (unsuccessfully). The lock comes with a pre-set code from the factory, but it is very easy to take the back off the lock and set your own code. Now my office, my home and even other buildings have these locks with the SAME CODE. It's wonderful. I could not be happier with these locks. Lockey Digital M210 Mechanical Keyless Entry Bump Proof Deadbolt Door Lock Satin Nickel Finish

The review "What more can you ask for?, October 5, 2009" wishes for the ability to use 6 "digit" key presses, implying that that would result in more security. This is not so.



Given a mechanical key press "digital" keypad:

10 different buttons ("0".."9"),

only able to press a button one time,

order of pressing buttons makes no difference;

then, the most unique combinations possible is 252.



Here is a quick table of all possibilities:



Count of Key presses = possible unique combinations

0 = 1

1 = 10

2 = 45

3 = 120

4 = 210

5 = 252

6 = 210

7 = 120

8 = 45

9 = 10

10 = 1



If you allow a burglar 15 seconds to try one of the possible 252 entry sequences, it will take only 1 hour and 3 minutes to run through all possible combination sequences. It is a trivial matter to write down a list of all possible combinations and just start keying them until the burglar hits the one that opens the lock. This kind of a lock is fine for a storage shed or office bathroom. I wouldn't want to use it on my house.



Look at this [...] for an easy to understand math on why this is so. This is not a defect of the product. ALL mechanical key press devices are like this. If you want keyless entry with thousands and thousands of possible combinations, you have to use a safe type rotary dial lock or an electronic push button type.

I have always been a big fan of keyless entry deadbolts. We have used an electronic one on the front door of our last 3 houses because they are so convenient. You don't have to keep your keys with you if you go for a walk. Also, if your company shows up at your house before you get home, you can just give them the code so they can go in and make themselves at home. Well anyway, I wanted to get a keyless entry for our shop building, but the door is much more exposed to the weather and the electronic ones can short out if they get wet. This lock is completely mechanical with no electrical components. The satin nickel finish is very attractive too. We installed it several months ago and it is working out great. The only reasons I gave 4 stars instead of 5 are that it was a little on the pricey side and my husband did say that it was a little harder to install than the electrical ones. All in all though, I'm quite happy with the purchase.

This lock is great. I purchased the Satin Nickel finish and it looks great. Switching the door-handedness was simple, changing the code and adding a digit was simple, and installation was as simple as any other standard deadbolt.



It's a little misleading that it has the word "digital" written on it, as it's entirely mechanical, but that's not really a concern.



The one con I can think of is that the order of the code isn't important. If you code is "1-2-3-4", you can enter it as "1-2-3-4" or "4-3-2-1" and it will work both ways. Minor complaint. I also wish they let you bump the code up to 6 digits, but alas, the max is 5.

This lock is a little tricky to install, but once is on it seems like a very solid lock. You will have to drill additional hole so if you are ever going to go back to traditional lock this will have to be patched.

To change the combination the lock needs to be taken apart so be careful , who you give the combination to. Lock change is not hard but it's not something I'd want to do on a weekly bases .

I suggest one reads the directions first before getting mad about the lock fitting doors that open one way or another. It will fit either, just have to read how to change sides.

Everyone who looked at this lock for the first time has noticed how solid and tough this looks.

I am very satisfied with this purchase and would recommend this product to anyone who doesn't need frequent code changes.

I purchased 4 keyless locks in the last 10 years. The 3 electronics one broke already, while this mechanical one still works perfect. Not only that, it doesn't even need batteries. This is one of the few items in the world that the electronics should be removed. I wish the price was cheaper though, but I'm happy to pay this higher price for the included lifetime warranty.

This item was dented and scratched in it's box when delivered to me. It looked like a used part. I installed it anyway, because I was in need. But I suspect the seller on this issue, more than the manufacturer.



The item itself is good. It can be a little tricky to hit the right buttons due to the viewing angle of numbers to buttons, in low light. Also, I wish there was a key override.

Before writing this review, I gave the product a good 2 weeks or trial before making any determination. So let me be clear, this is the best way to deadbolt/lock your doors end-of-story.



I replaced a standard deadbolt lock with this excellent product. It took only 15 minutes to drill an extra hole, change the combination and install the lock.



The only weakness in the product are the smaller screws on the back of the unit for changing the combination, they're made of soft metal, even with a proper sized phillips head they have a bit of give for my taste. I replaced them with hardened steel versions immediately to avoid any future issues for when I want to change the combination. This doesn't change my stance on the product since Home Depot is just down the street from me.



What makes this lock so great is peace of mind. Visiting relatives will never lose a key on me again! I'm putting these locks in all around the house as they really are the next step in keyless entry for you home. The fact they don't require power makes them worth it. - Keyless - Keyless Deadbolt - Mechanical - Dead Bolt'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information