Thursday 29 October 2009

Cordless Trimmer - string trimmers, cordless weed wacker


The Toro cordless trimmer has plenty of power--even after 45 minutes of use. I also own the Black & Decker 18 volt cordless trimmer with 2 removable batteries. The Black and Decker loses its power in less than 20 minutes--sometimes 15.



I store the Toro unplugged, and it holds its charge for over 6 weeks. Try that with the Black & Decker 18 volt cordless trimmer. The Black and Decker loses most of its power in less than 2 weeks.



The Toro doesn't always win over the Black & Decker, however. The B&D is superior for trimming grass along a sidewalk. It's also more ergonomic and weighs much less. I do, however, get tired of replacing the batteries every 15 minutes and having to recharge 2 batteries after every use.



Overall, the Toro is a great value for the money. It is a little heavy, but that's due to the large battery. If you have extremely light trimming to do, especially along a sidewalk, definitely get the Black & Decker 18 volt cordless trimmer. If you have lots of trimming to do and can deal with the extra weight, definitely get the Toro. It runs longer, stronger, and, depending on how long you use it, you don't have to recharge it after every use. Toro 51467 8-Inch 12-Volt Cordless Electric Trimmer

I ignored the reviews and bought this trimmer, the price was hard to ignore and if it turned out to be a mistake I would try to return it or just junk it.



After a month this has performed like a charm. Plenty of power, battery lasts at least 30 minutes and the small foot print is not an issue for me. I cut the big areas with my lawn-mower.



It is essential for the handle to be seated properly or else you will not get full power, just a tip when you snap things together upon assembly.



Replacing the string is easy, but it in bulk and wind it yourself, not difficult at all.



I have trashed by gas powered trimmer since this little guy does all I need it to do.



Good performance for a low price. BTW you can use a stronger thicker line with it if you desire.

I purchased this product in the summer of '07 from Toro as a refurbished product. Since it was refurbed it was about half the price as it is here. Considering this is a rechargeable cordless product I think it is pretty darn good. It doesn't quite have the power to cut thruogh thicker weeds but works great for the grass the mower can't get. I have decent sized yard with a few trees and flower beds to trim around and this thing doesn't seem to want to run out of juice. My average use is about 20 minutes or so and it hasn't died during use yet. In fact I only charge it about every 2-3 uses. I have no complaints about this trimmer and would have given it 5 stars if it could go through thicker weeds, but I guess that can be expected with a cordless electric trimmer.

I'm really puzzled by the reviews. I don't recall any issues with assembly, if I even had to "assemble" it. Seems to me it was almost ready to go right out of the box. I bought it from Amazon, great service as always. The comments about the string are also puzzling. Buy some different string, which you'll have to do anyway as you only get a small amount. Get the CORRECT line and I've never had a problem in 6 summers of heavy use. Of course it's heavy, it has a 12 volt battery in it and a drive motor, that's how it works. What were people expecting? It's still lighter than a gas model. As far as it not having a large enough cutting area, see where it says "7 inch" in the name? THAT is how big of cutting area. If you wanted more you shouldn't have bought a 7 inch model. To me this is the best "yard money" I've spent. No hassling with gas engines, no cords to drag around, lots of power. No complaints at all. **UPDATE** I just picked up a new one. It is MUCH lighter, and snaps together in a minute. Great improvements!

First of all, I bought this at Home Depot for $39.99. It's great for light work. I can't handle a heavy trimmer, and I think this is the lightest one out there. I had a corded Black and Decker, and the cord never wanted to stay attached, and even when it did, after about a year, the connection was bad/loose. Definitely not worth the aggravation. I much prefer the Toro. For thicker weeds, listen to the other reviews. This one won't cut it- (literally), but overall, for what I need it for, I'm very happy with it. It's quick and easy to pull out and use. Charge lasts about 45 minutes.

At first we were very happy with this trimmer...However almost a year later we are looking for another trimmer.....The battery is only holding up for about 15-20 min now...It never did hold the whole 45 min run time - about 35min... Just thought we should mention this to all shoppers!

I purchased this trimmer to replace an old cordless Toro that finally gave out after 10 years. This trimmer is a big improvement over the old by being lighter in weight and well balanced. I'm disappointed by the short operating time and by the long recharge time. Even with a relatively small yard it loses power before I'm done with the whole yard, and the recharge time is long, about 24 hours. The cutting swath is very small but it works fine for trimming grass the lawn mower misses, especially around trees, fences, and foundations.

I like the trimmer. Works pretty much like the majority of reviewers have described. However, I have an important piece of advice. The trimmer comes in two pieces, the battery/handle and the shaft/motor assembly. When you put the two pieces together, rest the motor on the floor or ground, engage the two pieces, and press down HARD on the handle until you hear an audible "snap" as the two pieces latch together. If you just push the two pieces together by hand they will seem to be OK and the trimmer will charge and initially work OK, but you will eventually have the following problems 1)the battery charge won't last very long and 2) the trigger safety button and trigger itself hang up and will not depress. I took my trimmer back to the dealer for an exchange and he informed me that the two pieces had simply slipped apart. He pushed them back together by hand, the trimmer then worked OK, and I went on my way. Once I started using it again at home the same symptoms ocurred again. It was then that I discovered that I needed to put significant pressure on the connection in order to get it to permanently snap together. No problems since then. I reread the assembly instructions and sure enough it says to push the two pieces together until you hear and audible click. I doubt most people will be able to do that unless they put one end on the ground and apply significant down force. - String Trimmers - Weed Trimmer - Cordless Weed Wacker - Cordless Weed Whacker'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information