Wednesday 28 October 2009

Power Converters - universal power adapter, ac adapter


There is definitely a reason this item is so cheap. Even once the polarity and voltage input was set correctly, when we plugged it in it got very hot and started smoking. I was very afraid it was going to catch fire. Needless to say, we threw this thing away in a hurry. VCT VX-79NP - Multi-purpose Universal AC to DC Converter Adapter With Multiple Tips(1.5, 3, 4.5, 6, 7.5, 9 and 12V DC) - 1000mA

After receiving item, I found it did not have a 2.5mm sub mini jack. I used a R*Shack Adapterplug "E" plug. The unit works as advertised. There is a temperature concern (120 degrees F) but not unusual since this transformer can deliver up to 1 amp. If you need only a few milliamps then go for an adapter with 300ma. Because of the heat, it's not for home use and needs to be isolated from flammable materials. I kept it on a power strip and kept the air vents clear. Heard that some blew up and that WILL happen if you are using the transformer to charge a battery built into the device and using a lower setting than the battery voltage. The battery having a higher voltage will send the extra voltage back to the adapter; overloading it. It is VERY important to match the voltage to the device. Some say that they put a volt meter on it and the voltage was higher than expected. That's because the unit is using a voltage regulator and needs active current to flow in order for the regulator to adjust the voltage to an acceptable level. I'm a technician with electronics background and not a complete expert by any means. That would require a Masters or PHD.



Bottom Line: This transformer (made in China) with no UL label can provide you the power you need for your equipment but due to it's lack of safety features and it's high heat dissipation should only be used by someone that knows electronics and more importantly voltages and current demands of their unit. This unit is unforgiving if you select the wrong voltage settings. It will smoke and cause fire.

Since this is not an expensive item, I wondered if it would really work for what I needed it. It DOES.



I use it with my Sony shower radio/CD player. I use the Sony for children's classes and music performances that I do. I was going through too many batteries, so the converter is a big money saver for me.

I needed 1.5 volts. At the 1.5 volt setting, this puts out 3!!! At the 12 volt setting, it puts out 24. At every setting, the voltage was doubled.



I need this for my Christmas display MP3 music player, so I put a two diode voltage clamper across the output which guarantees around 1.5 volts.



IF YOU DON'T HAVE A METER AND CAN'T CHECK THE OUTPUT, DO NOT USE THIS AS A POWER SOURCE!!!!! If you do, I believe you may be sorry you did. Unless of course, it's for an IPOD which are quite colorful when they smoke like that.



Actually, after a minute or two, it did seem to smell hot......

I ordered this for a hand held sewing machine that used batteries. It comes with 6 different adapter tips for use with a variety of products. I have only had the opportunity to use the 4.5 volt tip but it sure is handy to have the other ones so I don't have to keep buying batteries.

I have purchased several of these. I made some fake batteries using wood dowels and put screws in the ends to power my toy RC helicopters. Using this Multi-purpose Universal AC to DC power converter allows me to power my transmitter to charge and fly my RC Helicopter Collection. I have also made and given away several of my creations to family and friends. - Power Converters - Universal Power Adapter - Ac Adapter'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information