Wednesday 28 October 2009

Office Supplies - fluorescent, highlighter


I have used enough highlighters from high school through graduate school. Theses are the BEST. The DO NOT SMEAR, and don't leak through to the next page. So you can still highlight BOTH sides of a 2-sided book.



For some reason, it's very difficult to find these highlighters in stores. So stock up! Zebra Zazzle Fluorescent Highlighter, Chisel Tip, Blue, Green, Pink, Yellow, Violet Ink, 5 per Set (74005)

One day a week, I have to do a LOT of highlighting at work. So, I tried out different highlighters, and this is THE BEST one! The colours are bright and clear, the tip is strong (doesn't break against metal ruler), there is no foam filler, and you can see how much ink you have left in the pen. It's easy to make clean, clear, straight lines with these, and they last for a decent amount of time. The felt tip is thin enough that you can make smaller lines (not good for broad highlighting though). It allows for more detailed highlighting. With the range of colours available in each set, you have a good variety for various uses (yellow is good if you don't want it to show up on copies and faxes, and the purple is dark enough that you can use it almost like a marker).



It does cost a little more than most highlighters, but for me it's worth it - it makes the work so much easier, with less mess, less ambiguity in where you want the highlights (which can be crucial to some types of work). And it is difficult to find in many brick-and-mortar stores. But I swear by it and talk about / demonstrate it to my coworkers ad nauseum, because I love the product so much.

These are pretty good highlighters. They aren't bright like most highlighters, so they look more like markers. Unlike most liquid highlighters, these dry fast, so you don't have to worry about ink smearing onto the facing page.I wish that I could have found an orange one. Though I like having a purple highlighter, when it comes to using them in textbooks, orange is a lot easier to read through than purple.Spring Action Chisel Tip: The tip of the highlighter is chisel shaped, like most highlighters. There is a spring inside the barrel, so if you accidentally press too hard, the tip will adjust so you don't damage it.

The colors for these highlighters are very nice and bold. It's nice to see the ink levels in the container. I was hoping for something that didn't bleed through to the next page, and it's so wet that it seems it may be unavoidable for any material that one highlights. Oh well. The search continues.

To put it simply, I use these. A LOT. Almost 100% smearproof, and the best at not 'bleeding' through a page.



For some reason I can't find these except at my local fancy-schmancy art store. Do yourself a favor and order these online!

These are excellent highlighters. There is however a little learning curve with respect to how you use them. The criticism of some that they soak through the page and blotch so that you can't turn the page until the ink dries is related to a poor application. If you use them with a light and steady stroke, they never bleed through the page; if you use a lingering stroke, a heavy application, or if you start and stop again with a lot of pressure on the pen tip, they will blotch and even soak through. It is only a matter of correct technique to fix that problem. These pens are not very good for glossy pages however; for example, magazine pages don't absorb the ink very well and you do have to wait for the ink to dry. For most books, text books, and typical paper pages, I have never had a probem with them soaking through, and I have used these pens for years (I read constantly and underline something on almost every page). The different colors can be matched, doubled up, or covered over each other to create new colors, and lightly applied they still don't soak though. They also won't work real well as Bible hightlighters though; most Bibles have very thin pages, and the ink does show through. With a light steady application, they go on very bright, don't fade over time, and are pleasing to the eyes. I want my underlining to look good, not messy, and these are the best pens I have found so far, and I have tried a great many brands.

I am not commenting on the performance of these highlighters because I will be returning them. I was hoping for some slightly less traditional colors, as pictured in the product page. However, I received ordinary highlighters in ordinary shades of blue, green, pink, yellow and purple. The part number listed on the page is the same as on the highlighters. I am quite disappointed as I was really looking forward to the interesting colors pictured. - Highlighter - Fluorescent'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information