Sunday 25 October 2009

Multi-region - toshiba, dvd


You are not spending a fortune here. What do you expect? What you are getting is a bargain priced player, with minimal features. If you have a simple DVD, it will play. I have also played "burned" DVD's without a problem. Don't buy a $20 player, and hook it up to a $5000 television, and expect theater quality. As far as I'm concerned, once it turns on & plays, I've already gotten my money's worth. I don't expect to own this unit for the next 25 years (like some of us who still have an 80's vintage VCR).



This player is also capable of being "hacked" for "all region" use. That means that I can get movies still playing in the theaters, usually from Chinatown or eBay, that are in region code 3 (Asia), and watch them on this unit. Some movies are only available in other markets, not in region code 1 (North America). Here is the "hack" process:



Power ON

Open Tray

Enter Cod : 9879 and 0 For All Region Free (On screen display will show the region set to 0)

Close Tay

Power OFF

Power ON Toshiba SD4300 Progresive Scan DVD Player (Black)

So far i had purchased two toshiba dvd players for two different rooms. It's been a few months now, and they are working just fine. They are more expensive dvd players out there that would do exactly what this one does. This is a great buy.

I almost went for this product because HDMI was plastered all over the site, but digging a little deeper to the manufacturers website, the datasheet indicates that there is no HDMI terminal. In this case, Amazon is greatly misleading of this product. I also could not find information on the maximum resolution indicating that this is NOT an upconverting DVD player. It uses only a component connection which limits the screen resolution to well below 1080p (and perhaps even lower than 720p). Just beware of what you are getting with this product.

I haven't owned this long so I can't comment on the longevity (although if it does begin to fail in an unreasonably short period of time I'll update this review).



What I do want to say is that I did the region-free hack from videohelp.com which is very easy to do, and I can confirm that it has been successfully reading Region 1 and Region 2 discs.

The included SE-R0301 remote control has small buttons spaced out only 9 mm (less than 3/8 inch) horizontally and 8 mm (5/16 inch) vertically - good for children, but quite difficult for pressing with fingers even of man's average thickness in Europe or USA. Not as bad as the one of Samsung DVD-P190/P191, but much worse than the SE-R0313 remote control of Toshiba SD7300. After pressing the Stop button, the player memorizes, where the disc stopped, but only for approx. 20 min., after which the disk has to be watched from the beginning - quite annoying. Bookmarks are not avaiable. Leaving the disk for watching later by pressing either the Step or Play/Pause button wears off the player. No screen saver is engaged, and the motor and the laser are working forever while the disc is rotating. Otherwise the player is good. It offers richness of functions (including the very useful zoom and slow), intelligent menus (big and easy to see and navigate through), and a legible display unlike any other player in its class. it is not surprising considering that Toshiba invented the DVD. Though the front panel display has only 4 digits to show only chapter number unlike a 8-digit display in Toshiba SD3950 showing the time of already seen or remaining part. Also, it is lacking the corresponding FL SELECT function to switch between displaying said time and chapter number. However, such lack is compensated since the time of already seen or remaining part can be continuously displayed, as a little distraction, on-screen and also switched to the chapter number.

This is a good DVD player if you plan to occasionally play DVDs. If you plan to play DVDs on a more regular basis, I recommend you purchase a higher quality DVD player.



For the cost of this DVD player, I have no complaints. I guess I should mention that it is a bit louder than my older (and more expensive) DVD player. I guess I should also mention that the loading tray is flimsier than my older (and more expensive) DVD player.



This DVD player only comes with composite video jacks (CVBS) cables. If you want to use the higher quality component video jacks (Y,Pb,Pr), you will have to purchase component cables separately. I recommend Belkin component video and audio cables. Belkin 6' Component RCA Audio & Video Cable Kit



The owner's manual is well written and it is easy to understand. The type size, however, is a bit small.



The remote control is about what you would expect with a low cost DVD player. It uses AAA batteries (included).



Overall, I do recommend this low cost DVD player.

Don't hesitate to purchase this unit for the value alone. I had one Toshiba DVD player already and wanted another one for another room. I've had a good experience with it's predecessor and thought.....why mess with a good thing. So, if you're looking for a DVD Player, don't miss this outstanding value. I personally hate shopping and went looking for one and gave up and went to Amazon.................the best thing I did. I found what I wanted and for a better price than I could have found locally; all without having to do what I hate....go out and shop! I love this player and I love Amazon!! - Multi-region - Hdmi - Toshiba - Dvd'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information