Wednesday 28 October 2009

High Definition - microsoft, lifecam


I'm a big Skype user and have used the QuickCam Pro 9000 for quite some time. While Skype doesn't recognize this Microsoft cam as an "HQ" cam (or at least not yet, if ever), I have found that this cam excels as compared to the QuickCam Pro 9000 in three ways:



1. This cam produces much richer colors. Some may say it borderlines oversaturated or "technicolor" but I really enjoy the brilliance of the colors

2. Low light conditions keep rich and bright color. I find with the QuickCam it loses contrast to brighten up the picture.

3. Launch time. I find with the Quickcam Pro 9000 the "ramp up/turn on" time is undesirably long when receiving an auto answer Skype call. This cam is ready to go immediately.



As far as focusing goes, both the QickCam Pro 9000 and this cam aren't great at it in dark lighting conditions.



The widescreen view is a really nice change from the normal 4:3 perspective. It really helps show your surroundings more and give a better feel to where you are.



Installation was easy, and the cam itself seems far smaller than I was expecting.



Under some conditions Skype callers on the receiving end prefer this video over the HQ Skype capable Quickcam Pro 9000. In some cases they prefer the Quickcam.



I saw that some people mentioned the high hardware requirements so I wanted to let you know what I'm using it on:



Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit

Core i7 2.66

3 GB memory



I'm not going to outright say that this is a better webcam than the QuickCam Pro 9000 but it definitely gives it a run for it's money, and offers a few unique features that the QuickCam Pro 9000 does not, all in a smaller more attractive cam size & style.



---update--



After several months of use, I have found that I'm using this cam more than the Logitech Quick Cam 9000. They're both equal in stature in my mind, but this one is better at low light use. I often Skype at night when the room is comfortably dim, so this has become my preferred camera. Even though it's not listed as an HQ cam for Skype, it still provides better overall performance for the way I use it. Microsoft LifeCam Cinema 720p HD Webcam (Black)

I like the Lifecam Cinema webcam because it is the best webcam in very low light. With only the computer and TV on at night, the Lifecam Cinema webcam produces a viewable video for chat. In this same light settings, the Quickcam Pro9000s video is all black.



In better light conditions, the Lifecam cinema will produce a good video with good color.



This camera will focus as close as 1 inch. Good to play around with as a microscope, but a hassle everytime it does an autofocus. I turn off autofocus most of the time.



People mentioned that this camera takes a powerful CPU. It only uses a lot of CPU power when you turn on the video effects, such as modifing the eyes, nose, face, and others.

I just want to start out and say that this is a REALLY great webcam. Of all the webcams I have used in the past, this one blows them out of the water. The standard quality is more than anyone can ask for, and Skype calls are crystal clear. Movement is captures very well. There is a small delay, but only noticeable during fast movements. The typical users would never notice.



Why did I give it 4 stars? The HD quality is fantastic, but it does come at a cost. I own a quad-core processor with 4GB's or ram. My computer is VERY fast and can handle nearly any program you throw at it (I'm a web programmer and designer). This camera WILL take up the majority of your resources when capturing the HD video. My quad-core is hovering at about 40% cpu usage when the HD camera is running. Standard definition works without this additional load.



I recommend this camera to ANYONE that has a Pentium 4 and above. I only recommend using the HD capabilities if you are running a high-end dual core or any quad-core processor.



This was my first review of any product. Please be gentle ;)

I found this on another website: For HD on Skype using this webcam,you must use Skype version 4.10.166 or later and install the free utility "Force Skype HQ", and then manually change the resolution using this program to 1280 x720.



[...].

Yes that's right! Linux Compatible!!!



I plugged this camera into my Fedora Core 11 machine (praying all the while) and was amazed that it was not only recognized immediately, but that it provided a stunning picture in Camorama, Cheese, and Skype. Not configuration needed. It was true plug and play!

A web cam is a web cam is a web cam, right? Well, not exactly. I've messed around with a few web cams in the past, all of which had less than stellar picture quality. Life Cam is easily the best web-cam I've used. It's actually affordable and it's in 720P-hd no less. Well, let's not jump the gun. It does do 720P but it doesn't do it to the full capabilities some would expect or want. It's a feature you'd probably find yourself not using since the resources it takes to actually run it and calibrate it are a little daunting. I'm actually willing to bet that many who bought this cam just got it as a web cam and nothing more. And it is "just a web cam" but it's a damn good one.



As I said, many probably don't even know how to get the thing calibrated right to even take advantage of the higher end options the device has. And that's fine. Because at the end of the day, this is the best web cam you can buy for the price. Sub-HD. Buy it and don't regret it. If you use a webcam for shows. Talking on skype. Animating. Whatever you use it for... This will do the trick.



(side note) Make sure you TURN OFF THE AUTO FOCUS... IF YOU DON'T YOU WILL PROBABLY HAVE A FIT TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHY IT'S BROKEN. Many people assume it's broken cause it keeps zooming in and out. It's not broken it's just got a little too high setting for the auto focus out of the box. - Skype - High Definition - Microsoft - Lifecam'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information