Friday 27 August 2010

Best Multi-vitamin - energy, vitamins


I have been taking vitamins for the past 20 years. I am big believer in using vitamins to fill any deficiency gaps you may have in your diet. For the past few years I have been taking One A Day Men's multivitamins. I always thought they were sufficient as a daily vitamin. That was until I started taking Opti-Men vitamins. Comparing the two I would have to say these Opti-men vitamins are twice as good as the One A Day Men's. I have a lot more energy and overall I feel a lot better. I take one pill a day, which seems sufficient enough. I weigh about 215 pounds. So if you're an active guy and are into taking vitamins, then I would give opti-men a try. Optimum Nutrition Opti-Men Multivitamins, 180-Count

I was reading the ONLY bad review about Opti-men having a tiny amount of lead (1.62 mcg per 3 pills), then I did some research on HOW MANY THINGS WE EAT THAT HAVE WAAAY MORE LEAD...a sweet potato(7.2

mcg of lead) has waay more lead compared to Opti-men multis. I think this is a report PAID FOR BY A COMPETITOR Multi Vitamin company. By the way this test by consumerlabs.com was done like 2 years ago, I've never heard of consumerlabs.com I bet they have ties with other companies and was paid for by a competitor. It's just like the stock market, if any bad news comes out about a certain company their stock goes down. I bet they got paid to put this bad review out, just like stock promoters.



heres the email response from an Optimum nutrition rep which cleared things up for me:





We are aware of the recent consumerlab.com report in which Opti-Men was

tested and allegedly did not "pass" the lead content analysis. We are

currently working with our suppliers and conducting our own internal

testing. In the meantime, it's important to note that only a single

sample was tested and that ConsumerLab.com clearly stated in its report

that the levels allegedly detected did not pose a health risk:







From ConsumerLab.com: "Another men's multivitamin contained 1.62 mcg of

lead per daily serving. Although this amount is unlikely to be harmful

in itself, lead exposure should be avoided."







Also noteworthy is the fact that lead is a naturally occurring mineral

found in the water we drink, the air we breathe, and the soil we grow

our crops in. In fact, the US Government's Center For Disease Control

publication "Inorganic Lead Exposure, Metabolism and Intoxication"

states that" typical intakes of lead from food, beverages and inhaled

air are in the order of 300 - 400 mcg per day." (1 mcg = 1/1,000,000 of

a gram)







To put this in more perspective, a sweet potato contains on average 7.2

mcg of lead, a typical glass of red wine 6.8 mcg, a peach 3.4 mcg, and

an apple 2.6 mcg of naturally occurring lead. Moreover, the USP

acceptable level of naturally occurring lead in a serving of calcium is

4.5 mcg. All of which are significantly greater than was allegedly found

in a serving of Opti-Men.







Ideally all food, water, air, and supplements would contain zero lead,

but at the present time this is not realistic or possible. Rest assured;

consistently providing the purest, highest quality foods and supplements

is our ongoing mission for over 20 years.







We thank you for your business.

Background:

I would characterize myself as a fitness enthusiast (weight lifting tri-weekly, swimming, running) and also an avid fan of nutrition. While I was ordering some more Whey protein and CLA pills from Optimum Nutrition, I stumbled upon their multivitamins. I follow a healthy lifestyle, but wanted to take a multivitamin as insurance.



The Product:

First, the product came in the expected timeframe, condition was perfect, so absolutely no problems. The suggested use of the product recommends 3 tablets daily with food. Since I do not weigh as much as some of the bodybuilders who use this products, I decided to stick with a twice daily dosage with food and it works fine. A non-harmful side effect of these pills can be a brightly yellow (neon) urine from time to time, but that is natural as the intestines cannot absorb all of the nutrients packed within these pills. By taking it with food, this appears to happen less often. I believe these pills deserved a 5-star review because one does not have to consume a vast quantity of pills like some other proucts (Universal Animal Pak Sports Nutrition Supplement, 44-Count) and because, when doing my own research regarding some of the ingredients in this product, I found them all to be acceptable. For example, ON uses d-alpha tocopheryl, which is the natural type of Vitamin E in comparison to dl-alpha tocopheryl. Yes, there is lead in this product, but a trace element of lead, which is not harmful when looking at the variety of foods in our diets that contain more lead.In contrast to another reviewer's belief that consumerlabs is unheard of, they are the labs behind Consumer Reports, but they cannot support a multivitamin with even traces of lead. That being siad, I also want to ensure potential buyers that the copious amount of vitamins will not be harmful if taken as directed because most of the vitmains are soluble, and are not toxic in large doses. I also appreciate the fact that ON has a few blends specifically for men in this product, including a virility blend. I hope my review will help you make a conscious decision in what you end up purchasing.



DISCLAIMER*: This is my first review on the Amazon website, but I am in no way a paid reviewer of ON.

So, I like the MultiVitamin, I feel a little more energized and a little less sleepy all the time but it does have a weird side effect for me (other than the highlighter pee).



2500% of your RDA for Vitamin B6 results in some VIVID dreams. I wouldn't even mention it except for the first week I was taking these I woke up EVERY NIGHT with some horror movie plot of a nightmare.



So, if you get these pills and you start having vivid dreams, you aren't the only one.



Cheers,

Leo



PS: I hope the dreams stop soon, I don't think I can keep out running that clown. - Best Multi-vitamin - Vitamins - Health - Energy'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


    ,
  • energy
  • ,
  • health
  • ,
  • best multi-vitamin
  • ,
  • vitamins