Friday 27 August 2010

Wi-fi Digital Cameras - digcam, wi-fi digital cameras


I was torn between several cameras but the Nikon is the best.



One thing that is overrated in cameras is the megapixels, they are just used as a marketing tool; anything over 5mp is fine for almost all photographers. What really matters is the shutters, lens, and properties. Here are some pros and cons of the camera:



+ The screen is bright, large, and detailed

+ The battery lasts quite a while

+ The camera itself is smaller

+ Transfers wirelessly to your computer

+ Buttons are easy and well designed

+ Picture quality is up to standard

+ NEVER get red eye with this camera, no need to edit afterward

+ Takes great pictures at night (lights, fireworks, ect)

+ Takes fantastic portraits because the camera automatically focuses on the face of the subject



- Sometimes the camera takes too long to take a picture, and if you have it on portrait mode it flashed 5-6 times before it snaps the photo

- The wireless transfers seem to take forever, sometimes I think it may be better to upload directly to the computer

- Every so often you will get a blurry picture (1 in 75 or so) Nikon Coolpix S6 6MP Digital Camera with 3x Optical Zoom (Wi-Fi Capable)

After much research on the S6, I decided to give the S6 a shot. The main features that attracted me were the large LCD screen, ease of use of the menu, and its light weight. The wireless feature was really a ho-hum.



After the purchase the LCD screen lived up to its billing, but without an additional glass eye-piece, the glare in bright daylight was quite concerning. It was difficult to see the picture and determine if flash would be necessary. You need flash in bright sunny conditions to get rid of the eye shadows.



However my disappointment was that the shutter failed after about 80 pictures. It kept giving me a "Shutter Initialization Failure". I learnt that the shutter had failed and it was time to return the camera. I have since exchanged the piece and highly recommend buying the extra warranty if you intend to buy this camera.



I was quite pleased, while the camera worked, with the ease of use of the menu and selecting the settings. The camera has about 6 canned settings for portrait, landscape etc., in addition there is red-eye elimination and flash that can be automatic or manual.



The digital zoom is quite lousy though; as the light weight of the camera makes eliminating handshake very hard and the digital zoom ends up extremely blurred.



The camera is made in Indonesia under NIKON design.



cheers

I bought an S6 just before my trip to Disneyworld. Excited as anyone would be, I took a bunch of shots outside my house and then looked at them. Not only were most of the pictures out of focus, but the flash would come on when in full zoom in broad daylight. I chalked it up to a defective camera and exchanged it for another at Best Buy. Now I had to leave for my vacation the next day and did not have any time to play with it other than charge the battery and take a couple indoor shots. Just in case, I brought my Nikon 5600 also.



Long story short, the focus problems still existed with the S6, the flash still came on for no reason, the camera would use a shutter speed more than 1/60 of a second in bright sunlight (some shots were 1/29th or something similar!). Pretty much all the photos need one or two sharpening passes in Photoshop to make them look decent, and it basically took worse pictures than my 5600 and my 4300. I would not recommend this camera until they work out the bugs in the firmware. The LCD display is great (3"), and the recycle time for the flash and saving pictures is great (<=1 second most of the time) but that is all I can say that is good.



I am going to send a cd of pictures to Nikon and see what they say. Maybe they just got a bad batch, but I got my camera from two different stores. If you do buy this camera, I hope you don't have the same problems as I did. I returned the S6 for a refund and am going to buy a D70s instead. The S6 is nowhere in the same league as the D70s, but I expected the S6, being 2 or three generations later than my 4300, to take better pictures.

I have no clue what people complaining about this camera are talking about. S6 is a great camera. It takes excelent photos and has tons of cool features. I use a 2Gb SD Mem for taking pictures and movie clips. And I never had any memory problem what so ever (even by taking tons of long movie clips). I push Easy Transfer button time to time and leting it to transfer everything in memory to my computer (in my web photo album). Comparing picture quality to my SLR D70s, this camera is a bit behind but come on. This is only a point and shoot camera. Compare apple with apple. So, no long USB connection, no memory problem and excelent quality. Five of Five for S6. - Wi-fi Digital Cameras - Digcam - Photography - Nikon S6'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information