Sunday 29 August 2010

Iphone 3g Accessories - exercise, iphone 3g


(The Tuneband reivew is in the last two paragraphs.) I've been through five cases so far. I also used the iPhone "naked" for a while, but that ended when I dropped it and got a crack in the glass above the screen between the edge and the earphone hole. Sob story aside here's what I've used:



My first case was a black rubber Griffin case that would catch sand and grit and scratched and scuffed the chrome bezel.



Second case was some cheap black silicone case I got off of eBay. It was thin and had an unattractive oval over the earphone.



My third case was a black "rubberized" plastic case by Seido called the InnoCase. It lasted pretty long and looked very good, but the little snaps between the front and back pieces wore out and broke over time. You have to pry the two halves apart when you want to open the case so breaking those snaps is inevitable. Plus it popped completely open when I dropped the phone one time, though to its credit it did somehow prevent damage to the phone.



To replace the Seido I picked up the Marware Sport Grip which to be fair is a very reliable case, but it's ugly. It has a ribbed back which is really unnecessary, the rubber grips fine by itself. The Marware logo on the back is cut deep into the rubber so it collects lint. The rubber over the shutter button is thick and doesn't always line up with the button. The rubber around the screen has a raised edge and comes up against the screen so close that it makes it difficult to touch anything near the bottom. And the hole over the mute switch is too small, so you have to dig your fingernail into the hole to hit it.



So along with my dissatisfaction with the Sport Grip and my decision to pick up an armband I looked around and finally decided on the Grantwood Tuneband. The red one I bought looks very very cool against the black of the iPhone. Weirdly it fits both the iPhone 2G and 3G. I've only had it for just over a week and this is the most satisfied I've been with a case. It's thin and unobtrusive yet tough. When you hold it it feels like plastic but you can bend it easily to get your phone in and out. The case comes right up to the edge of the screen but leaves the home button uncovered so you don't have to lift your thumb to hit it. And the armband slips in an out through two slits on the back with ease. Plus it straps and velcros around my meaty (ok flabby, I'm modest) bicep with ease. The only criticism I have is there are two holes above the screen that aren't necessary, but maybe they're meant for sensors on the 3G I'm not aware of.



If you're trying to decide on an armband get this one, it's the best in form and function. That's my 2¢. Tuneband for iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS (not iPhone 4, see description below), Grantwood Technology's Armband, Silicone Skin, and Screen Protector, Black

I've been using my Tuneband since early May, 2009 with my iPhone 3G and for the most part it's what I was looking for. A no nonsense armband that holds my iPhone whilst working out and jogging.



The armband itself is made from a stretchy fabric material that will likely fit most anyone. The strap is secured by Velcro. The actual silicone skin is better than expected - it's lightweight and conforms to the iPhone snuggly. I haven't used the screen protector so I refrain from commenting on that.



My only detraction from this armband is that in my experience the narrow armband leads to the iPhone jiggling on my arm during runs. Maybe this is something that won't bother some folks but I find it a distraction. Plus I'm always worrying that the bouncing around will send my iPhone flying out of the silicone skin protector.



I think that the problem lies in the narrow armband and the way the armband interfaces with the silicone skin. With this model the band simply passes through vertical slits in the back of the skin. Since the silicone skin is so soft and pliable it doesn't hold the iPhone snuggly against your arm.



I think that either a wider armband or some reinforcement to the backing on the silicone skin are needed to make this product truly great.



As it is, this is a solid armband until I find something better.

I own an iPhone 3G and this fits perfectly. The skin seeems to be the right thickness, not too thin or too thick and it holds the iPhone snugly. The armband is very comfortable and stretchy. There is a screen protector that you can cut out and apply, if you want. You can access all the buttons and ports on the iPhone which is cool.

I have spent tons of money on iphone (1st Gen) accessories, but what I use most is the armband. Whether jogging, working on the computer or cleaning house, I listen to books and music almost every day. I lost my original armband, but it sagged anyway and you had to slip the phone into a case/armband combo. It was VERY hard to work the controls. I ordered the Tuneband Armband and case because of the 100% guarantee. Very very pleased with the band and the separate case - quite functional and not the least bit "bulky" feeling. Great product. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the band does not "sag" after use as well but it feels as though it is stronger.

More importantly, the service was outstanding. I live in the country and my address has been changed for 911 purposes 3 times. When the reps from Grantwood used their USPS software, a different address was given. They contacted me via email to ensure they had the right address and then confirmed again before shipping. Also received a follow-up to ensure I had received the product. How refreshing! In this day of electronic service, I really appreciated the personal touch. Thanks to Heather and Sean! - Iphone - Armband - Exercise - Iphone 3g'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information