Friday 27 August 2010

Nail Clippers - cat grooming, pet clippers


This is a nice, sharp little nail trimmer. I volunteer regularly at a cat shelter and trim a lot of cat claws every week. I have used several different trimmers over the past year. This one made the cleanest "cuts", with no nail splitting. It is sharp and the blades are close together (without wiggle), so I can make a precise cut. A good purchase. Safari Nail Trimmer for Cats, Stainless Steel

I have a sneaky ninja cat. I tried giving her things to scratch so her nails would shed. That didn't work. I would pick her up and it would be, "Sheba ouch!" and she would say "haha!" and run away laughing. She was always catching her evil nails of doom on things too. But then my vet taught me how to trim her nails and told me how to find a good set of clippers! She is still my ninja cat but when I hold her I'm no longer getting sliced up.

I bought these clippers for my 13 week old indoor kitten, so I could get her used to having her nails trimmed. I've never had a pair of scissor trimmers before so I have nothing to compare to, but I really liked these. They were sharp and clipped quickly and efficiently; my cat never realized what I was doing until I was done. They are a good size for a kitten and will also work well when she becomes an adult. I have an 8lb dog that I also tried the clippers on and they worked okay but were much tougher to cut, and I wouldn't recommend them for a dog any bigger. Would highly recommend for cats.

I had been trimming my cats' nails with toenail clippers meant for people. Big mistake.



These scissor-style clippers are so much faster and they do not crush the nail. I can get in and get my two cats claws so fast they hardly even notice what's going on until it's over.



Highly recommended, except for one thing: The finger holes in the scissors are sized for children. I have small, girlie hands and I still find them difficult to use. If you have big hands, you should probably go with another product.

I read many good reviews for these trimmers. Due to that and the price, I decided to give this product a try. I clipped the first claw and wanted to throw these clippers away. I gave them the benefit of the doubt and tried a few more of my cat's front claws - to no avail. It felt like I was crushing the nail instead of cutting it. The blades are very small and might work fine on a kitten. It was difficult to get a good feel for a starting point on the nail, and because of that the trimmer shifted a lot. There is no way I would attempt the larger back claws with these trimmers. I have already bought the Bamboo brand and will try those in the next day or two.

This was the first pair of scissors-style clippers I've ever tried for our cats.

I normally get the ones with the larger gripper-style handles, but the blades never

seem sharp anymore, doing more splintering than cutting. I even bought a new pair

to be sure it was in top shape, and same problems. I decided they must have redesigned

those to work mainly on dogs now.



So, got a pair of these to try.



If you are a man, you probably will have a VERY difficult time using them. These are

very small scissors. I don't have large hands, so I can use them, but none of the guys

can get their fingers in the holes. Ladies, think cuticle scissors, and you'll understand

your working room for your own hands.



You have to be sure to have the screw head facing the cat to cut the right way. It actually

helps to make sure you don't cut too much that way, so it works all right.

It still doesn't make as clean a cut as I'd like to see. In fact, you can hear the crunching of

the nail material when you cut, which has a little "ewww" factor. However, they DO do a better

job of cutting the cat nails than the other styles of pet clippers have done. I do find that I have

to trim a little more often with these, but that's doable. They leave a smoother cut than the other

styles of clippers I've used, but don't expect a perfectly smooth tip. You'd have to use a file for that

still. (I let our cats do their own trim-ups on their scratching posts.) For those who say it is crushing

their cat's nails, be sure that the scissors are held vertically, in the same direction as the toenail is growing out.

Makes sense? Don't make it go crossways, which might indeed crush the nail instead.



The cats don't seem too bothered by these either (at least, any more than any other clipper! One doesn't

care about getting his nails done, but our little girl cat doesn't like anyone messing with her feet for

any reason!), which makes this a plus for these clippers. Since they require a little more dexterity on the

part of whoever is cutting, I do have someone else hold the cats now so I can control the little scissors

better.



I can't vouch for how long they'll stay sharp because I haven't been using them for an extended period of time.

(We've had them for a month, and I trim once a week.)

Overall, for what they are and how they are made, I think they should be cheaper.

But, they do what they advertise - trim your cat's nails without cutting their quick.



UPDATE 11/20/10: We've been using these for a while now, and both cats don't seem to mind too much.

However, it is very weird - they have disappeared! I think the cats must've hid them so I couldn't cut their

nails anymore. That's my theory anyway, and I'm sticking to it until they show back up.

It has done a good job of keeping their nails cut without hurting them or cutting too close to the quick.

Really nice product, got shipped quickly. The best thing about it, i think, is that the grip is rubber covered, so it will not slip on your pets paws while you making a cut. All in all, i think this is about as good as it can get for the price you're paying. Not disappointed. - Cat Grooming - Nail Clippers - Pet Clippers - Cats'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information