Friday 28 October 2011

Eee Pc 1000he - crucial, memory


This memory upgrade is fantastic for the price, considering just a few years ago something like this would have set you back several hundred dollars. I easily installed it in my netbook the other day, which is a Asus EeePC 1005HA.



The installation for the Asus was simple: you unscrew the panel on the bottom of the netbook labeled "memory", unclamp your installed RAM, and then push this one into place. Make sure you ground yourself before installing it, and DO NOT get any moisture or food in the netbook or on the RAM, it will ruin it! If the clamps are not snug to the side groves, you've installed it wrong and need to go back and push it in further. This will be quite obvious when you turn on the computer and it doesn't start or you get a blue screen of death. You can check if the module is properly installed after you startup your system (if you have Windows XP) by right-clicking on "My Computer", selecting "Properties" in the menu, and seeing if the memory changed under system information. If you don't want to go through booting the OS, press the key that brings up the BIOS (typically F2) when you first start up the computer and check the system information. The specifics for other models are all available on Youtube. Just do a search for your model and "memory installation", and some kind soul will have posted some video instructions.



So, what's the difference between this and the 667 Mhz model? Not much. You're not going to see a massive difference in speed from the upgrade, but it's worth the $3 extra if you can use it. The difference will only be obvious if you plan to overclock--which is possible on my Asus. I've noticed about a 5% or so increase in speed over PC2-5300 modules in other systems. Of course, your system has to be able to run 800 Mhz, or it's just going to run at 667 Mhz. It will not hurt your system to install the 800 if it can only use the 667, so don't fret if you're not sure what Mhz your system takes.



Buyer beware: make sure that your laptop, notebook, or netbook is compatible with the memory module you buy! Obviously, the EeePC 1005 netbook line takes this upgrade, but some don't. This is a DDR2 200-pin SODIMM module, so if your system does not take DDR2 it won't work, and if it doesn't take 200-pin modules, it won't even fit in the first place! Most new computers do take DDR2, but always check for compatibility before you buy hardware. Don't take it for granted and wind up with a useless module!



Overall, I recommend this. It's great for the price, and you get a free 1-year warranty with it. Until you open up your system and spit on the module, it's very rare that wouldn't know something is wrong with it after a year of use. Crucial Technology CT25664AC800 2GB 200-pin SODIMM DDR2 PC2-6400 Memory Module

I have never had any problems with Crucial Memory modules -- and this holds true for this 2GB 800MHz DDR2 PC2-6400 laptop memory.



I recently purchased this to upgrade my Toshiba NB205 to 2GB of memory. Installing it is a piece of cake... just remove the one that's in there now, and put this in its place. My netbook immediately recognized the 2GB of RAM.



This module will work well with pretty much all the Intel Atom-based netbooks on the market. Even if your netbook comes with slower memory, this will still work as it's backwards-compatible in speed but you're better off buying the speed of memory that matches what your system came with as it will cost less.

I bought this to upgrade RAM in my brand-new eee PC 1005HA. It wasn't the same exact part number as Crucial Technology came up with when I checked compatibility on their website, but all the specs seemed the same, so I chanced it. It was easy to install, and everything is working fine, with twice the RAM at a very reasonable price.

Ok, so first of all, a lot of these reviews seem pointless and it took me a long time to decide to get one for my Asus 1005HA-PU-1X-BK (the 10.5 hour battery life model). The type of review I was looking for and haven't seen except for maybe 2 or 3 is a review on the difference between 1GB and 2GB for your netbook (I mean, obviously recommended ram will work and install, the point in deciding to purchase this is to see if there will be a difference from what you have now). Normally, my netbook was working fine, and I installed Windows 7. I would notice things slowed down when I tried to multitask, watch a video, or load a facebook app. Once I installed the new memory, there seemed to be less lag when multiple programs were running. Last night I was online with Chrome, 2 Word documents open, powerpoint, 2 file folders, and iTunes listening to streaming radio at a coffee shop, on the windows power saver setting and the super hybrid engine battery mode setting. I noticed things ran smooth, even watching a couple of videos on youtube. Everything seemed smoother than before. Is the change dramatic? No. Is the change there though? Yes. My Office is 2003 Enterprise, so you might notice things smoother if you're trying to run Office 2007 (it takes up so much ram like Open Office so it might be noticeable there). Installation involves a screwdriver and literally 2 minutes out of your life even if you're slow and careful and ground yourself first. Amazon packaged it well and it arrived safe and fast.

Bottom line - my netbook is becoming my "laptop" and my laptop stays at home at my desk. I take my netbook to class and to coffee shops to study and usually need a couple of programs open and I tend to concentrate better with music. If you just use your netbook for browsing the internet and e-mail, you would probably not notice a difference. If you watch videos and listen to music while you run Office and browse online, you would probably benefit from the added memory. Even a facebook app on its own was a little faster and resembled the speed on a normal laptop on battery mode. If you know you will be using your netbook more and more (and I think it's only natural when you realize how great they are for portability and function) then you might as well get the memory. Hope that helps to make an informed decision. - Netbook - Memory - Crucial - 2gb'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


    ,
  • memory
  • ,
  • crucial
  • ,
  • netbook
  • ,
  • 2gb