Saturday 29 October 2011

Electronic Music - speakers, computer speaker


Despite a few bad reviews, I decided to try these speakers out. These speakers are really cool looking and make a great first impression. I have to say, I was expecting them to sound like my music was playing out of a tin can, but they really proved me wrong. They actually do have a nice full sound. I also like that the on/off switch and main volume is easily accessible and I don't have to reach very far at all to adjust it. Another nice touch is the fact that there is a knob on the sub woofer to adjust the base. Most sets with a small sub woofer like this one don't have that. As for the sound of the sub woofer, I think that it is great, however this is the first pair of speakers that I have had with a sub woofer. I would say that these are an overall good pair of speakers, and I have already recommended them to a friend. Logitech LS21 2.1 Stereo Speaker System

I purchased 4 speaker sets in the price range of $25-$30. My intent is to find the best set for teachers to use in their classroom at this price range. Out of the 4 sets this was the only one I returned. The sound was okay, but the all the others were noticeably better.



Logitech S220 2.1 Speaker System (Black) - good sound, but if the max volume was any softer then it would not work well in a classroom. $24

Logitech X-140 2.0 Speakers - Loudest Volume level; Easiest hookup with only 2 speakers; base levels are okay without a subwoofer, but subwoofer would improve music; Best of the group for listening to someone talking. $27

Boston Acoustics Horizon MM220 Multimedia Speaker System (Midnight) - I would describe this set as being in the middle of the road compared to the 2 described above. Sound volume, music quality and talking quality are clearly in the middle.



My Recommendation - Depending on what you want to mostly use them for...

Music - Logitech S220

Talking and Volume - Logitech X-140

The Boston Acoustics Horizon MM220 has gone up in price on Amazon ($87) and is $38 on [...]. I would not pay that much. If I was going to spend that much I would purchase the Bose Companion 2 Series II at SamsClub for $60 plus tax. You can simultaneously hook up a computer and DVD/VCR and the sound is great.

I bought these speakers as a replacement to a 4 year old Creative SBS330 system since one of the satellite speakers was beginning to short out. Out of the box I noticed the speakers are very well made and are easy on the eyes. After I plugged them in and fired them up, my enthusiasm began to walk away. I noticed the satellites were much clearer than my previous system. However, the subwoofer was barely putting out anything it seemed. At low volumes it was barely kicking at all with the bass knob on the back cranked to maximum. At higher volumes you could start to hear it better. The sub had a hard time handling songs with deep and low bass booms.



Needless to say, I decided to put my old Creative sub back in with the new satellites and am quite pleased with the results. The reason I make so many references to my old set of speakers is that they were a $20 set back in 2005, while these Logitechs are a tad bit more expensive and a lot newer. I expected to get at least as good or better sound from the system overall and was disappointed.



Bottom line: If you don't like your music cranked up all the time and want to hear the bass at lower volumes, you may want to look elsewhere. I would do some shopping around and see if you can find some displays that you can try out in this price range and compare. If you're on a shoe string budget and just want some speakers that will be passable, these will most definitely do.

I bought this set at a local Fry's for about $24 including tax. Since I am not very demanding in my sound needs, this set was perfect for me. They're a lot better than the speakers on my monitor that I had been using, that's for sure. If you're a music enthusiast then I would recommend passing on this set as even someone like me can tell that the subwoofer is very weak even at max volume. Then again I'm not the type to crank up the volume nor do I want the ground below me to be shaking so personally, it's not that big of a deal. I actually don't *really* need a sub but this set was just $5 more than the one without it so why not?



Pros: relatively compact, nice design, long wires, wires on the satellites can be wound up in the back, gripped feet on the satellites and remote so they don't slide, headphone jack on remote, price



Cons: weak sub, sub volume knob is on back of sub (but I don't think you'll be setting it any less than max)



If you aren't demanding and just want decent set of speakers then I would definitely go with these. However, if you want power and higher sound quality, you're better off investing in a more expensive set that can live up to your needs. You get what you pay for, afterall. - Pc Speakers - Computer Speaker - Speakers - Desktop Speakers'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information