Sunday 30 October 2011

Pneumatic Stapler - power tools, pneumatic


I purchased this Surebonder 9600 stapler to use for completing an exterior remodeling job involving a lot of aluminum trim. I considered electric staplers but I needed the ability to finely regulate the striking force to make sure that the staples didn't shoot all the way through the aluminnum as well as that they didn't end up getting only partially sunk. Electric staplers don't provide very good regulation compared to an pneumatic/air tools. This stapler worked great. Worth every penney of its ridiculously cheap price. As far as I know Surebonder is the only company making an air powered stapler that is compatible with standard Arrow T50 fine wire staples. I highly recommend this product. Surebonder 9600 Pneumatic Narrow Crown Stapler with Carrying Case

So far I am happy with my 9600. It works great on many surfaces. But do not buy the staples with it. The ones Amazon advertised to go with the 9600 are surebonder 300-38-5m 3/8-inch 22 gauge upholstry staples. They DO NOT FIT. Amazon change your ad!!!! F.Y.I. go to a home improvement store and by the Arrow T-50 staples. They FIT and work great and are available in multiple lengths as well as light duty to heavy duty, Arrow also makes a rustproof staple!

Got this redo the seats on my jetskis. Works great. No more pushing like crazy to compensate for the kickback on electric staplers. I redid one seat w/ an electric and had probably 10% bad inserts. The seat base is pretty thick plastic and the staples loved to turn if you didn't give it major push when firing, but even then sometimes wouldn't go. No worries with this guy. Did a big seat and didn't have a single bad insert. Just hold this in place and let it rip, no upper body workout required. I've probably shot about 700 staples and it hasn't jammed yet or let a staple turn strange (except when I had bad angle, basically my fault). I'd definitely buy this again.

Surebonder 9600 Pneumatic Fine Wire Staple Gun with Carrying Case

Picked this up for 28.60 shipped. I loaded standard, easy to find, Arrow T-50 narrow crown staples in and set my compressor to 100 psi (max it's rated for) since that is what my roofing gun likes to run at. This way I can run both guns off one tank setting on the roof. I sent two drops of pneumatic gun oil down the inlet. I also added a ball swivel connector (Lowes or Amazon) so that the hose flops around more freely off the gun. I then ran 200 staples through it into very old and hard fir and some super old oak at an unrealistic pace (fast as I and it could go) and it only fired a blank twice. What a great little machine. I need to restretch Harley seat leather on a plastic pan so I tested it on an old plastic pan with perfect results.



I'll add to this review for durability ratings after I've done an entire house roof with felt and batt insulation later this year, but with it's compact and sturdy construction I think it'll be fine for those applications. I have a lot of expensive quality tools, and this inexpensive little gun is going to probably turn into one of my favorites because it'll remind me that now and then you don't have to break the bank to get something that works the way it should. Great buy.



UPDATE: ONE YEAR AND ONE HOUSE LATER. This tool has never let me down and has been used extensively. It spent a lot of time on the roof getting tossed around. Insulation is a breeze - a standard hammer tacker is just too brute force around insulation. Bunch of other little projects. Tough little guy. It has jammed only once in thousands of staples and it was due to the air pressure being much too low, not the gun. If you shoot a blank, its about 99.9% certain you didn't have the little tongue depressed all the way.



Only one problem - this thing shoots staples so quickly and easily that you tend to blast through more staples than you need to.



UPDATE 21Mar2010: Still banging staples, and a pleasure to hook up to the hose. What a great little gun. Did that Harley seat modification and it worked fine sinking staples in the plastic seat pan. Have had three 'all-stop' jams in not less than 20,000 staples. One was the previously mentioned low air pressure. The others give the same result (a little piece of staple stuck on the firing pin). It is very obvious but it takes a little operation to pick that little wedged piece out of there. A non-issue really as the jams were simple to clear and who knows why the staples exploded... did they hit a nail, or was that particular staple a reject? I'll take one of those jams every now and then for a roughly thirty dollar gun, and 20k staples.

I am a DIYer and using this stapler to install insulation in the basement ceiling. The stapler is light and compact, and has worked perfectly well for me, no misfires. I have Milwaukee and Senco nailers, both high quality, and this stapler has so far worked as well as either of those, for a fraction of the price. The company has also re-worked their instruction manual so that it is now written in comprehensible English. The Arrow T50 staples I used worked just fine. Perhaps the only down side to this stapler is the capacity. It is so easy to use that I have fired more staples than the job might require, towards ensuring the insulation stays where I installed it. While Surebonder has a similar gun with greater staple capacity, at a slightly higher price, I am happy with mine despite having to replenish staples more frequently.



Update 11/24/08:

After approx 3,000 staples, the unit crapped out. I was 97% complete with a project stapling insulation to the basement ceiling and the unit seized and would no longer staple. Fortunately I had the old reliable Arrow stainless steel manual stapler to finish the 100 or so staples that completed my project. The Surebonder was great while it lasted, making my job so much easier, but 8 days and 3,000 staples later, I have an ungainly paperweight rather than a pneumatic stapler.



After advising Amazon of my plight and being told by them to go away, and contact the manufacturer, I had little choice but to do just that. I contacted the manufacturer to advise of my problem, and to my delight, they responded right away with an offer to repair the stapler. I was surprised at Amazon, but the manufacturer made up for it with their handling of the situation. Kudos to them. - Pneumatic - Power Tools - Upholstery - Stapler'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information