Thursday 27 October 2011

Poor Construction - trash, poor construction


For 18 years I have used an old adjustable-length shoulder pod to help me brace and steady my camaera when shooting on multiple safaris in Africa. It worked, but sometimes the clamps would slip and the brace would telescope closed and I'd lose my shot. This pod is rock solid like a gunstock and has the added advatage of multiple ways to grip, sling, balance, and brace the camera with a heavy long lens attached. I am shooting a NIKON D-300 (wonderful camera) witha reletively slow 80-400 Nikon 5.6 VR lens and I still get clear shots hand-holding even with evening light. I would encourage anyone to try it and see if it suits their style. Stedi Stock Shoulder Brace Optical Stabilizer for Video, Spotting Scopes, and Cameras, Black

The unit arrived ahead of the scheduled ship date and I'm pleased with the product. It performs as advertised and is a good value. It is, however, not particularly sturdy, which is why I did not give it five stars. It will do the job for the price.

I just purchased this item, and find it quite uncomfortable to use, and also quite flimsy. Although this is advertised for use with spotting scopes which are fairly heavy, and long, it in my opinion will not last long in that use. The unit has a few design drawbacks that if I had designed it I would have tried to solve. It is TOO flexible in the area just behind where it bends to drop to the "stock" I Use a Canon XS with the stock AF lenses and the wobble is enormous. Also the stock portion is in my opinion not proper for photo use, it is positioned incorrectly for shoulder shooting, and the positioning of the Camera eyepiece while on the stock is awkward. Also the three piece arrangement for the hand grip is ridiculous, the screw keeps falling out when the camera is not attached,there is nothing to hold it in, and no clip or lanyard to keep the handle with the stock portion, and there is no way to secure the handle when the camera is not mounted.



As a stabilizer for a heavier camera this has a lot to be desired.



A real drawback is the lack of a pistol grip contoured grip for the fore handle, and inability to use the grip, trigger the camera and change focus at the same time. If this handle can be redesigned to incorporate a trigger release (preferably a two stage electronic one for Canon) it would be a better deal.



The serious photographer using telephotos or doing Macro work should give this one a pass by, save your money.



Its concept is a promising one - but it is cheaply made, burdensome and untrustworthy in strength - the promise of a steady platform falls far short of reality.

The item arrived in good time and in good condition. I was not happy with the size of the unit and tried it with my DSLR camera. It was not suitable for use with this unit, however, I am in the process of modifying it for my use. It might be suitable for some of the smaller, preset cameras.

I find the Stedi-Stock very handy when taking photos of wildlife from the window of a vehicle. I can rest my arms on the window frame, and hold the camera (Canon 40D) steady with the Stedi-Stock. It is very fast when shooting off hand in the field. However, using the Stedi-Stock off hand, I am not as steady as with a monopod, but the monopod is more cumbersome. The Stedi-Stock is very light, and easy to pack. Wish my Canon monopod head screw was longer so it would fit through the Stedi-Stock, and into my camera. This would provide a really fast, and steady set up. Although I do not really need it, the Stedi-Stock is very helpful in shooting with my camcorder.

This is one of the most overpriced piece of junk I came across in recent memory.



Plastic is cheap and VERY VERY flimsy, there's nothing "steady" about this stock.

Forward grip does not provide enough thread to attach to camera properly or securely.

VERY small and uncomfortable to use, almost a toy in feel and deploying it.



This is not event worth $1 IMHO, I would have given it -10 stars if there was that rating here.

Don't buy it or you will regret it.

This product was poorly constructed and cheep. Made of flimsy material, it isn't worth more than 3$. Anyone who actually shoots enough video to really need on of these things needs a better one that this.

Does the job but designers missed a biggy. When off the camera and carried, there's no place to attach the pistol grip. It would have been simple to ad a 'clip' or attaching nut so you did not have to stick the hand grip in a pocket or purse.



Update: Threw it away. - Avoid - Poor Construction - Trash'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information