Wednesday 1 June 2011

Anaconda - lock, dead bolts


My wife and I loved this lock... until it rained. Then it stops working. And it's not like other electronics I've had: wait till it dries and it'll start working again. No, this one gets wet, it dies. I contacted the company and they said it wasn't waterproof. They did replace it tho. This time I created a little shield around it to protect it from the rain. It lasted a lot longer, but eventually it died from the rain too.



So, great idea, great product, just don't let the rain hit it. Electronic Keyless Deadbolt System - Bright Brass, #414

When I bought my house, this system was already installed. However, the previous homeowner did not have the door code nor instructions. So, I bought one to replace it in 2004. I installed it with no problems...and I am the LEAST handy person that I know.



Now, in 2010, after I replaced the batteries, the lock would still quickly beep 3 times, when my son pressed the locked key button indicating that the batteries needed replacing. After about a week, same thing. So, I figured the unit needed replacing. I read comments about this product on the internet. One person said that it was not meant to last. I figure that it lasted for 6 years with no problems. So, if it's life expectancy is 6 years, I'm ok with it. Mine is behind a storm door, so no worries about rain.



I use Rayovac batteries, because I think that they last longer than Eveready Energizer batteries. I changed the batteries 3 times in 6 years, with the exception of the last time, indicating that the unit needed replacing.





I love that it is easy to install (my holes were already drilled, but a template is provided). I love that I could figure out that with this new unit that I had to switch the thingy from 2-3/8" to 2-3/4 to center it, with no problems. I love that it has two programmable codes, which can be changed easily. I love that I didn't have to worry that my then 7-yr old would lose house keys. I love that it will beep 3 times quickly when it is time to change the batteries or when the lock is not set. My son didn't pay any attention to the loud beeping, when he left. But, I heard it. I love that it is inexpensive.

This is a great lock at an affordable price! The kids don't like to carry keys and this way they do not have to. Multiple codes from 4-12 digits. Be sure the locking mechanism is free of obstruction when installed.

I bouhgt two of these lock sets, and both are no good. The first one had a bunch of tiny springs laying in the bottom of the box. These are part of the locking

mechanism that fell apart. I gave up on this one and packed it back up.



When I opened the second one and was installing it, I could not get the screws started that hold this in the door, and the lock set together.

Upon examination, I noticed that there were no threads for the screws. Buying two sets and 100% defective on both sets, I don't thimk I want to use these to lock up my house.

I have three of these - one on each door of my house. I've had them for 5 years, the latest has the deadbolt cover plate, the others are as pictured. All but one are behind a storm door, but all are holding up fine.



The idea of carrying keys to my house is completely alien to me at this point.



It's really very simple - they work, and I don't have to carry keys. Regular batteries last 1-2 years in my use, and you know that it's time to change them when you hear it struggle to open the lock - you have a few weeks at that point. Lithium AA's seem to last indefinitely.



You can set two codes (I give the cleaning people a temporary code so I don't compromise mine). The lockout feature is a little annoying - enter the wrong code three times and it will shut down for a while, leaving you standing outside. It's good for security, and in my case I have another door to try if I screw it up.



The screws that secure the exterior keypad rust easily, especially if you scratched them with an electric drill while screwing them in. Rust-proof screws are readily available should this happen and become a concern.



To me, the benefits of this lock are tremendous. I'd love to have something similar for my car and even RV - but that's a whole other body of research.

I've used push button locks for twenty years. I started when my kids were small and constantly were forgetting or losing their keys.

This unit is probably my third. I tried a thumbprint keylock, but couldn't get it to work reliably.



When I installed a new entry door, I need two locks. For the main doorknob, I just used a standard lever lockset. This unit is for the deadbolt.

It installed easily, programmed easily and after a year looks as good as new- no discoloration or wear of the finish is evident. I've not had to replace the batteries as yet.



i'm quite satisfied.

I purchased 5 of these locks and four of them broke within 2 years. Even if you call the company that makes the lock "Anaconda" (I got their phone number off the internet) they will admit that their lock wasn't made to last. The problem is not the electrical part, it's the mechanical part. So in other words "wear and tear" should make the lock break. All four of my locks broke from the same part.



However, they are really good as in giving you a replacement during the warranty period. (You still have to pay for shipping.) However, what use is a replacement when it will break again soon anyway. The good thing about this lock is even if the keyless feature breaks, you can still use keys and it will work like a normal lock. The guy at Anaconda did try to sell me a whole different lock that doesn't use batteries. He stated the newer, no battery lock they have was made to last a very long time.

I ordered this on Amazon.com. Arrived in very good time. Easy to install. Saves frustration of having to insert a key in a darkened area. Even though it is a secondary entrance I find myself using it now as the primary. So convenient. - Dead Bolts - Anaconda - Electronic Lock - Lock'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information