Wednesday 29 June 2011

Home Improvement - masks, respirators


My husband purchased respirators for both of us when we got ready to paint the interior of our house. First of all, a respirator is WAY more comfortable to wear than those paper masks. Second, the disposable filters keep all the nasty VOC's out of your lungs. I wouldn't paint without them. 3M R6001 Organic Vapor Cartridge, 1-Pair

I build model airplanes and use various glues which are irritating to my lungs and nose. Having tried various filters for my 3M respirator, this one works the best. All the filters seem to reduce their effectiveness after about 8 hours of use. I would have them a 5 for effectiveness and 3 for longevity.

These fit my old mask (model unknown, sorry) and work like a champ. I've used these while spraying stain on all our cabinets throughout our house. That was a dirty job, but I could breathe with ease. As far as fit goes, do your research.



Since the house is finished, I use this mask while mowing our 7 acre yard. It's really dusty, and I got tired of those flimsy paper masks that don't fit the bridge of my nose and still leave me with dirt encrusted nostrils. Also, my 3m mask doesn't leave my safety glasses fogged up all the time like the paper masks do. You probably think I'm a wimp, but when I mow it kicks up clouds of dust that leave me covered when I'm done. Dry, dry North Texas.

I find this cartridge works quite well when working with alkyd paints and various solvents: VOC and other chemical capture/reduction seems such that I have no smell, headache or difficult breathing even when working in a closed garage.

This cartridge does not fit the 7193 although the Amazon page indicates they are matched. This cartridge is has a bayonet style twist-on mount whereas the 7193 cartridge snaps on - they aren't even close! I bought (3) 2-packs and they are worthless with this mask. - Home Improvement - Filter - Respirators - Masks'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information