Monday 27 June 2011

Wireless Keyboard - apple ipad, ipad


I have a slightly different perspective than the other reviewers. I bought this because I do a lot of iPadding on the train and wanted an all in one keyboard/case. The form factor is OK. The keyboard is small, but that's somewhat expected. It's definitely easier than typing on the touchscreen. The faux leather is of good quality and is holding up nicely. The problems I'm having are with the keyboard double-typing. Every other word it double types a letter. I'm a pretty fast typer, so I don't know if that's the issue or what, but it's to the point where it's unusable for typing long emails, which defeats the purpose of the thing. I also am having issues with the bluetooth pairing being forgotten. I've had to re-pair it 4 or 5 times. I contacted technical support about both issues and haven't heard back yet. If there is a resolution, I'll update this listing. Right now, my suggestion is to not purchase this item. Great concept, bad execution.



UPDATE: Per the comments below, the vendor has sent me an updated unit and the above issues with the keyboard typing and pairing has been resolved. Raising review from 2 to 4 stars. Kensington KeyFolio Bluetooth Keyboard and Case for iPad 1, K39294US (Black)

It's a great product in the Kensington tradition: well built, lightweight, protects your iPad. Even can be used in a non-keyboard setting (i.e. just a case to use while reading your iPad.) Some say you can't use it on your lap, but a nice lap desk (think Levenger) makes that possible, too. Big improvement over the on-screen keyboard. A little annoying to have to connect to the keyboard with Bluetooth every time you've been away. But so much faster to type. Only the Apple iPad dock has better speed, and it's not a traveling tool like this one. This keyboard recognizes and includes the cursor arrows, unlike some iPad writing apps whose softkey keyboards do not. I wish there were a shift key on both sides of this keyboard, and the apostrophe key has its own key that's not in an intuitive place. So far, very happy with this product. In a way, this makes the iPad a great alternative to the new MacBook Air, which at first glance seems like an iPad with an attached keyboard. Ron Seybold, BitesOfApple.com

When I purchased my iPad, I needed a better keyboard (better than the screen keys) for typing. I'm a touch typist and I need the feel of the keys. I also didn't want to carry around a separate keyboard. This product meets my needs.



First, the case is well made. It is rugged and provides excellent protection for my iPad.



Second, the keyboard connected easily and the battery life is outstanding. I've been using it off and on for about two weeks without having to recharge it.



As an added bonus, I was able to connect my iPhone 4 via Bluetooth.



Yes, the keyboard is a little small. However, a larger keyboard would make the total size of the case larger than I would like.



For those simply looking for a case without a keyboard, I highly recommend SimpleSleeve for iPad, Grantwood Technology's Premium Protective Neoprene Sleeve for the Apple iPad (16GB, 32GB, 64GB Wi-Fi and WiFi + 3G), BLACK

I received this item for Christmas and am actually writing this review on the Padfolio keyboard. I have been looking for a wireless keyboard so I can do more writing on the iPad, which I absolutely love! This product has met my expectations. I know several reviewers have given negative reviews to the keyboard, but I have found no real issues writing with it. As noted by others, I would like to have a right shift key, but I can understand the tradeoff between keyboard space and functionality. I still have an occasional issue searching for the right shift key, but I've overcome it.



Now onto the very positive things about this item. First, the case itself is very attractive. It looks very professional, almost like a traditional legal pad holder. The protection offered by the casing is also very sound. The frame around the iPad screen is thick enough to protect the iPad screen from falling to the floor. The stand is also very sound. I was wondering if I would use the Padfolio even if I wasn't using the keyboard, and I do. I like the adjustable nature of the stand.



The biggest issue I have with this item, and the reason I gave it four stars instead of five, is because I don't like how I have to enter a four-digit key each time I connect the keyboard via Bluetooth. I am not sure why Kensington decided to adopt this procedure compared to how my cell phone automatically picks up my Bluetooth headset, but I do not like this feature. As others have noted, it can be a pain to reconnect the keyboard and enter a new four-digit key to start typing again.



I do like this keyboard a great deal, despite some of the feature issues. It is a worthy investment for anyone looking to expand the iPad's functionality. I am looking forward to taking the iPad as my only computing device on a future trip to see how functional the combination of the padfolio and iPad is for basic computing tasks like e-mail and basic word processing.

This is not a full-size keyboard, but is probably the best compromise for a full KB. the material seems durable and well put together. When I'm not using the mini-KB, I flip the iPad case over (the iPad rests over the KB) and use the iPad touch interface. So the mini-KB folds out of the way easily enough.



Connection is easy enough, and once paired, I've not had to re-pair the two devices.



Very please with converting my iPad to a laptop/netbook.

If I could give this product 4.5 stars I would. My only problem is with the key placement. I completely agree with Ron. It needs a shift key on both the left and right side, and the apostrophe key is in a strange place. The reason I went ahead and gave it five stars is because the concept is fantastic, the construction seems stout - Kensington products are known for that - and it does exactly what it says it does.



It gives you a nice Bluetooth keyboard, an excellent folio, flexibility, and it's very easy to use. They seemed to put a lot of thought into how they laid it out, with the exception of the keyboard. They were obviously limited by the size of the iPad, and rather than make the keys smaller, they had to move some of them around. I have not found the size of the keys to be a problem. On the other hand, they have some very useful additional keys, such as the one that functions as a home button, all the usual function keys, and a number of other ones that come in very handy, and keep your hands on the keyboard rather than having to switch to touching the screen.



All in all, and at Amazon's price, I highly recommend this product. - Ipad Case - Ipad - Kensington - Apple Ipad'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information