Thursday 23 June 2011

Laptop Accessories - laptop batteries, dv9000


In Oct. '06 I bought a 17" Hp Pavilion dv9005us laptop computer on sale. I was so enamored with the screen size that I didn't take into account how quickly the Hp OEM battery would drain. I'd never heard of conditioning a battery so the max use I would get out of it was between 1.5 to 2.0 hours. What was my bright idea? I'll beat the system and leave it plugged in all the time. Then I found out how bad it was to follow that charging strategy. I was killing the lifespan and power reserve in one fell swoop.



Fast forward to today. After learning about battery conditioning I decided to buy this replacement battery. Enter new strategy - I conditioned the battery with 5 consecutive 8 hour charges, but only running the computer with battery power in-between; no A/C. What was the result? The BatteryBar utility says my battery has a little over 4 hours of energy reserve after booting up. I could probably stretch that to 4.5 hours by opting for "Max Battery" scheme within the Power Options section found in the Control Panel.



All in all, I'm very satisfied with my purchase. I only hope this battery lasts 3 to 4 years. By then I'll be ready for another computer but that's a different story. Condition a battery? I'd never shampooed one. Why would I condition one? Now I know why. (12-Cells) Laptop Battery compatible with HP Pavilion DV9000 DV9100 DV9200 DV9300 DV9400 DV9500 DV9600 Series, PN: 432974-001, 434674-001, 416996-131, 416996-521

I've had this battery for just a day, but I'm very happy with the performance so far. I run an HP Dv9000t with Vista Ultimate, so it demands a lot of power. Depending upon what I'm doing, I can get around 3 solid hours from this battery versus the one installed by HP which got around 2 or less. Also, this 12 cell is a fair bit cheaper than standard HP 9 cell. If you don't mind the extra weight and bulk (which bulges out from the bottom of the laptop) than this is the far superior battery.

I bought this product about a week ago and it has worked quite well. I have been looking for a bigger battery since the 8-cell's wear was about 20%. Though I know I didn't need a new battery yet, I felt that it would be nice to have some more battery life. I am running windows 7 (beta build 7100), I have the core 2 duo 2.4 GHz processor, 8600m GS graphics card, and 7200 rpm hard drives. Well, on power saver mode my computer is underclocked to 792 MHz, and I have undervolted my processor to as low as it could go without crashing. I was able to get a respectable 3 hours and 30 minutes out of my 8-cell (I use Batterybar to determine life), but then I got this battery and my life jumped to about 6 hours just typing and reading pdf's (which is what I primarily do at my university). When I surf the internet and the computer runs more my battery life is about 4:30-5:00. Also, the computer being lifted has made it a little more comfortable to type as well letting the cooling be much more effective. And finally, the shipping was surprisingly fast, only took 3 days to get to my house.

This is a good replacement battery, although it is a little annoying at times the way it sticks out. My laptop is already a pretty large one and this makes it even more bulky. However, I knew it would be like that when I bought it. The positive is that it helps keep the computer cooler by creating extra space underneath.

I ordered one of these batteries several weeks ago. After recycling it four times, it lasted only about two hours. I ran HP's battery check and the battery tested as defective. I returned the battery to Brilliant Store and it was promptly replaced. The second battery was recycled 4 times and the battery check run. Battery check indicated that this one had bad cells and that it should be replaced. This was sent back for a prompt refund. Still I am out about $20 for postage for the original order and returns. I am now trying a Ray-O-Vac purchased locally. If it doesn't work, I can return it without postage.

At first, battery worked well. Lasted about four hours on a charge.



Then one day, 3.5 months after I installed it, it began to hold a charge for only fifteen minutes before the laptop died. Tried charging several more times, removing and re-inserting the battery and got the same results. Even tried booting Linux and got the same result. The battery meter now says it only holds 10% of rated capacity (10 WHr instead of 88 WHr) -- less than the original battery that this one replaced.



Guess I'll buy a new battery somewhere else since we are past the return date on this product.

Worked OK out of the box, but after about 4 Months, goes dead. This is my second one, because I though I was not charging/ discharging correctly, and I like how it stands up the rear of the computer (oversize battery).I followed their charge/ discharge instructions to the letter and after 4 months, their it goes again. No more for me! - Laptop Batteries - Hp - High Capacity - Dv9000'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information